Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox360 2009 - General Discussion

Options
  • 29-12-2009 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭

This is a thread for general discussion of 2009 for xbox gamers.
    Was it a good year? A bad year? Any highlights? Disappointments?

We'll do one of these threads for each category to help jog peoples memories about the year just gone, and help them make well-informed nominations.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking through my recently played list, I don't think there were too many stand-out exclusives (mostly Arcade titles like Shadow Complex, which is probably my favourite Xbox game of the year). There were plenty of great multi-format titles which I just happened to play on 360 (Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 2, SFIV, MW2, Left 4 Dead 2 - although the latter at least has console exclusivity) but I think most of the highlights were downloadable (Ballad of Gay Tony, Battlefield 1943 and others). At least next year promises a few exclusives like Mass Effect 2 (PC too I guess). But I think PS3 had a much stronger year in terms of exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I think its been a really strong year for XBLA alright. I'd say I bought at least 15-20 XBLA games this year.
    Fingers crossed for another Geometry Wars next year. :)

For retail releases, I started renting more than buying, to be honest. Particularly if a game was only 10-15 hours with little or no replayability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yep, I really had to wrack my brains to think of an exclusive title other than Shadow Complex that was totally essential, but couldn't come up with anything...

Disappointment would have to be my elite getting RROD fever.
    Highlight - playing through Shadow Complex and wondering why the hell it has taken 2 console generations to bring a game like this to the living room! (the last home console game like it that I can think of was SotN...)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Disappointments of the year for me were: the last DLC pack for Mass Effect, the single player DLC for Gears of War 2 and Splinter Cell getting pushed back.

Suprise of the year would have to be Dragons Age, Arkham Asylum and how epic Mass Effect 2 is shaping up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

tman wrote: »
    Yep, I really had to wrack my brains to think of an exclusive title other than Shadow Complex that was totally essential, but couldn't come up with anything...
    1v100? Its pretty fun and you winz stuffz :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

There was also Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST, not much use if your not into Halo though, which I ain't.

It was still a great year and played alot of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Halo Wars was an OK solid enough RTS, fairly basic but did the job no major flaws. You don't even have to be ''into'' Halo to enjoy it. I thought it was better than Red Alert 3 anyways. Pity Command and Conquer 4 is PC only next year. On the plus side they might do a decent job on it than what happened with C&C3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Shadow Complex made me so glad I finally got around to buying a 360 this year. Whilst the story was 'so bad it's good', the game was just brilliant. I'll have to play through it again soon. They could have charged a lot more for the game so I'm very happy that it was such good value.

I bought a 360 for Fable II so I also enjoyed the Fable II DLC that was released this year. The OH is playing Dragon Age a lot at the moment but it's not really my thing I think. I think I might just be burned out on RPGs for the time being. Seeing how highly rated it is here in the RPG award thread makes me think I should give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Have to say I was content with 2009, but not extremely overjoyed, Halo ODST was far too short, and Brutal Legend while it was an excellent story, was very poorly executed. 1v100 though has to be the highlight of the year. Here's hoping 2010 brings us a decent halo game, so kick ass exclusives and arcade games and an Final fantasy to be proud of since X...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement