Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Council remiss in not gritting roads

• 29-12-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi there,

When I think of all the action taken by council and army in recent flooding I have to say they seem to be gone back to sleep at the moment. Roads where accidents have occurred recently have remained ungritted, old people's driveways and entrances are deathtraps, the town's footpaths have been skating rinks etc. Many accidents in the county and fatalities around the country, perhaps one in this county due to dangerous roads, why are the council doing nothing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I believe a lot of CCC's sand and gravel resources were frozen solid. Literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

You can do something about it without waiting for the authorities, at least on and around your property: Put the ashes of your fireplace on slippy driveways and steps and on the footpath in front of your house. It doesn't look as pretty as glittering ice but at least you don't break your bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

That's not good. Surely they could dig into it with a digger or something, maybe not. I was also wondering if the outdoor staff were still on holidays, know they get good stretch at Christmas, but would be hoping that the powers that be would bring them in on overtime to make the roads safer. I know they can't grit ever road and I don't know what their policy is regarding gritting secondary roads. I am just struck by the contrast between flood action a while back and what appears to be little action at present in the face of widespread dangerous conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Fair enough Palaver, salt is good too and thanks for the ashes tip, hadn't heard that one. I amn't one for waiting for the authorities to do everything - but would hope when they have the resources and skills they would do something more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'd say the CCC is gone way over budget this year. They've probably run out of money at this stage. Most of the main routes have been fine, but if you're on a rural road then tough cookie. Most of my friends from out the country could hardly get anywhere for the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 hairless

Hi, Just wondering - which roads were not gritted? Were they major roads or smaller back roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

hairless wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering - which roads were not gritted? Were they major roads or smaller back roads?
    major roads are fine, back roads not so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Our road in the sticks was a solid sheet of ice since Christmas.
    No gravel was thrown out until yesterday, making the road somewhat more usable.
    Some people suggest that if you throw grit on the road yourself and a car slips and has a crash you can be held responsible. So being the good Samaritan can actually bite you in the ass, but doing nothing and watching cars skid off the road is the right thing to do.
    Anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Thanks for the tip about the ashes!

With all the indoor fires being lit in recent days it's a great way to reuse them.

I understand when the cold snap ends the driveway will be pretty dirty and the carpets in my car will be destroyed, but if it stops me from slipping as I carry a hot kettle out to the car each morning then I'm on for gritting my pathway with my fires ashes.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Announced on Clare FM this morn that Co.Co. are going to distribute grit (no salt) to public car parks for people to collect only for public roads.

• Advertisement

Clare Co.Co. are going to publish a list of grit collection sites on their website later today:

http://www.clarecoco.ie/news/freeze.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Water is gone in a lot of parts of town now, http://www.clarecoco.ie/news/WaterSupply.html

Clare Co.Co. list of public grit collection points:

http://www.clarecoco.ie/news/GritLocations.html#West

Advertisement