Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing a pullup bar

• 29-12-2009 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,
    Was hoping that I could get some advise on installing a pullup bar (see link). The cold weather has meant the local playground has been an unappealing prospect for the last few weeks. I plan on installing it in a solid wall, above the window. Anyone see any potential problems with this. Would I just get a masonry drill bit, suitable bolts? No real DIY experince.
    Anyone suggets a good book on DIY; the bible of DIY?
    Thanks
    http://www.irish-lifting.com/product_info_equipment.php?cPath=1_18&products_id=217

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

M8x75mm rawl bolts should sort you out Just make sure you are going into a soilid wall and not a cavity block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

Thanks, how do I do that? ; know it's a cavity block as opposed to solid wall? My DIY 'expertise' stretched only as far as telling me that it wasn't plasterboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you haven't bought it yet, how about this one? Its portable and just pops in and out of the doorframe as and when you need it.

A cavity block would this
    bsmDSC00251_th.jpg

and wouldn't be ideal for any load bearing structures fixed to it.

on the othe hand, a solid block wall will be no trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

leopardus wrote: »
    Hi,
    Was hoping that I could get some advise on installing a pullup bar (see link). The cold weather has meant the local playground has been an unappealing prospect for the last few weeks. I plan on installing it in a solid wall, above the window. Anyone see any potential problems with this. Would I just get a masonry drill bit, suitable bolts? No real DIY experince.
    Anyone suggets a good book on DIY; the bible of DIY?
    Thanks
    http://www.irish-lifting.com/product_info_equipment.php?cPath=1_18&products_id=217

To fix something like that to a solid wall, you'll need to use expandable bolts. Most builder suppliers have them, just mention how your going to fit a pull up bar, most will give you the right bolts.

After you get the bolts a quick trip to hire center, show them the bolts and they'll hire you out all you need, transformer, drill, drill bit even correct spanner for bolts, they will even give you all advice needed to both drill and fix.

Tape measure and a pencil along with something to stand on is all thats left, buying a DIY book is always well recommended, but to fit just a pull up bar their would be no need. Plenty of people here can direct you.

Be careful with your measurements, if your fitting it above window, depending on your window you might find yourself drilling through window lintel. If you have a pre stressed lintel you'll hit steel while drilling. Best come up above window a few inch just to be safe and sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

Thanks very much, many helpful suggestions. I'm still none the wiser as to how to tell if it' a cavity block wall or solid?

• Advertisement

leopardus wrote: »
    Thanks very much, many helpful suggestions. I'm still none the wiser as to how to tell if it' a cavity block wall or solid?

Hard to tell really, the only time I can tell difference is when drilling into cavity block @ thinnest section, right into hollow, their is a noticeable difference that way. It takes more time to drill right through a solid, either way its hit and miss.

Maybe their is a difference in overall width, different measurement but never really had to worry about which is which so best I can do.

I've fixed anything and everything to both type walls and I haven't noticed much difference in fixing. From heavy stuff to small stuff I find it all the same.

The pull up bar you have is designed to spread load/weight so unless its stated in instructions, "do not fit to cavity/hollow block" I cant see why you couldn't fix to hollow block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

If your installing it above the window then you might get a grip in the reinforced concrete beam over the window,should be a cavity if its an exterior wall. anyway if u go head first out the window and wake up with a lump on your forehead you will know its a cavity :rolleyes:

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    If your installing it above the window then you might get a grip in the reinforced concrete beam over the window,should be a cavity if its an exterior wall. anyway if u go head first out the window and wake up with a lump on your forehead you will know its a cavity :rolleyes:

I drilled into pre stressed lintel once, hit the metal that's stretched out inside, no idea it was a lintel at time, lucky it wasn't a window or would have fell out after being hit by drill on head.

Drill bit got caught in steal, swung round and caught side of head. From then on I'm fairly careful. I would'nt norm drill into lintel, happened to be in a converted living room wall, used to be an opening. Drilling into lintel could possibly weaken its strength, not certain but worth mentioning.

Advertisement