Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so much agro ?

• 29-12-2009 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I don't know any other genre of music apart from metal where there is so much agro over who is and isn't and what group are a bunch of fags and so not metal.

why is this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MooseJam wrote: »
    I don't know any other genre of music apart from metal where there is so much agro over who is and isn't and what group are a bunch of fags and so not metal.

why is this ?

Maybe because Metal fans are the most passionate about music and don't like to be fcuked with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

You'll find it's the same for most genres but it just so happens that you're into this one so it seems more prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Metal is an aggressive form of music.

Its not surprising that the fan base is as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

If you're questioning it then you're obviously not metal enough to be here. GTFO.

:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Metal is a pretty serious musical genre, disregarding the theatrics. I'd imagine its the same for classical and jazz, albeit with less swearing. But...it is pop cultural so I bet there is an insecurity element going on in that certain adherents will think oh **** I'm being lumped in with emo by the mainstream, ergo I have to compensate for this by saying ****ing emo twats, I hate emo etc. When in reality what they're berating is a fad which has nothing really to do with them or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

problem with metal is that lots of fans and bands (e.g. Manowar) take it so seriously that it becomes comical....

Prob the same for all scenes though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Most metal fans are fine but a loud minority are a bunch of whingey little self-important morons which makes the entire spectrum of genres look bad. It has nothing to do with passion, it's all about self-importance and image. Metal fans want to be seen to be something they'll never be, and don't want anyone else to be part of this elite club of "true" metal fans.

Just go into Bruxies on any given night wearing normal clothes. Most of the "hardcore" in there will look at you like you've several heads on and OBVIOUSLY don't like the music enough to wear a cannibal corpse t-shirt from the 80s, maaaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i agree with aforementioned post.

the one thing i dislike about metal is the amount of retard fans it attracts.

*bangs head with pot*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

funny, I went to see Opeth in Melbourne a few weeks ago. The crowd was a very mixed bag.

Sure some full on 'metal' clobber was about but by and large it was normal joes in shorts and t shirts, not neccessarily black ones either.

Maybe its just Irish metal fans, or maybe Opeth attract a diverse crowd(?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's music elitism at its worst. I used to dress in band t-shirts and baggy jeans etc but it got to a stage where you couldn't wear a band t-shirt without having some sort of stupid comment thrown towards you. "That band is sh*t." "You don't know anything about music".

I listen to what I want to listen to because I like it. I don't care if others don't like it tbh. It seems with metal that you can't have an opinion on music because 9 times out of 10 it's the wrong opinion.

A joke really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Fair play to the OP, this thread definitely made me laugh...funny coz its true :D
    I remember I used to head into Fibbers and Bruxelles regularly but the elitist nonsense just keeps the whole music genre down. Another one is the whole "Man they sold out" BS that comes out about bands that move with the times LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

tororosso wrote: »
    Fair play to the OP, this thread definitely made me laugh...funny coz its true :D
    I remember I used to head into Fibbers and Bruxelles regularly but the elitist nonsense just keeps the whole music genre down. Another one is the whole "Man they sold out" BS that comes out about bands that move with the times LOL

Ah this old chestnut. Every band has "sold out" in one way or another. You could argue that any band who makes money from gigging/album sales/merchandise has sold out.

Such a stupid arguement and I love demolishing the opposition when they bring this up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

tororosso wrote: »

I sort of know where you're coming from, but what does 'moving with the times' actually mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

I sort of know where you're coming from, but what does 'moving with the times' actually mean?

changing their music and image to become more appealing to the majority and in doing so become mainstream, meaning they have sold out.

Its a logical argument you see :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Well it's not just metal. I'm regularly on another site in which you're not allowed talk about metalcore bands in the metal forum as most of the people there consider them hardcore. However, everybody in the hardcore forum gives out that all the metalcore bands are there.

There's as much snobbery of people trying not to like metal. Somebody I know argued that metallica weren't metal because she "doesn't like metal" so it can't be.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Well it's not just metal. I'm regularly on another site in which you're not allowed talk about metalcore bands in the metal forum as most of the people there consider them hardcore. However, everybody in the hardcore forum gives out that all the metalcore bands are there.

There's as much snobbery of people trying not to like metal. Somebody I know argued that metallica weren't metal because she "doesn't like metal" so it can't be.:p

how did she take you breaking the news to her that she's a metalhead? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's certainly not limited to metal, but I do think the elitism and prickish nature can be very strong with a lot of fans, and that's something I don't think we're going to get away from. As moderator here I've tried to make sure people were free to discuss whatever bands they wanted, and that others couldn't tell them to **** off, or bully them for their tastes. Discuss differing tastes maturely and threat each other civil, but one thing I dispise to see is people being abusive to others for the music they listen to.

A lot of the elitism is extremely hypocritical, some people will decry bands for being gay and call them ******s, and without a hint of irony own every one of Judas Priest's albums, throw the fists in the air when Twisted Sister are played, and have no problems being huge fans of Manowar despite blatant homoeroticisms like this. All great bands of course, but to put down other bands as being gay, it's just pathetically hypocritical.

Advertisement