Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accounting

Options
  • 29-12-2009 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, i;m filling out my cao form soon
    and considering doing a BA(HONS) in accounting,
    although i did not take accounting for leaving cert
    took business instead, do you think this is a disadvantage?
    also looking for feedback on the course what it's like in terms of hours etc
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Depends where you go,DIT have an attitude of everyone starts on same playing field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭m19

unknown13 wrote: »
    Depends where you go,DIT have an attitude of everyone starts on same playing field
    thinking of either athlone or carlow, have you done the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Would recommend you go to the relevant college under EDU (see above) and ask any course related questions you have there.

In one way it is a disadvantage - because you'll be starting from scratch. However, have heard that having done accounting in the Leaving Cert was a disadvantage to some students as they relied on their Leaving Cert accounting and didn't do well in the college exam.

Also, the course will assume no prior accounting knowledge.

When you get along in your accounting studies you can post questions in the accounting forum under BIZ (also above) - see you then and good luck!

smcgiff wrote: »
    Would recommend you go to the relevant college under EDU (see above) and ask any course related questions you have there.

In one way it is a disadvantage - because you'll be starting from scratch. However, have heard that having done accounting in the Leaving Cert was a disadvantage to some students as they relied on their Leaving Cert accounting and didn't do well in the college exam.

Also, the course will assume no prior accounting knowledge.

When you get along in your accounting studies you can post questions in the accounting forum under BIZ (also above) - see you then and good luck!
    thanks, how did you find it?

I did AAT in LIT and then went on to complete ACCA. Don't think you can do AAT through the CAO any more though.

If it is your intention to go on to do professional exams find out if the course you are doing will give you good exemptions.

It's a toughish course but employment prospects are relatively good.

• Advertisement

How many hours of study did it involve weekly?
    I got an A1 in hons maths do you think that would help?

m19 wrote: »
    How many hours of study did it involve weekly?
    I got an A1 in hons maths do you think that would help?

M19 - If you can get an A1 in honours maths you will have NO PROBLEM with accountancy.

In accountancy there's mathematical, theory and problem type questions which your evident math skills will be a definite help.

Now enjoy the rest of your Christmas holidays! ;)

Actually one other question - probably for my interest more than anything else - what other option(s) besides accountancy have you considered?

M19 - If you can get an A1 in honours maths you will have NO PROBLEM with accountancy.

In accountancy there's mathematical, theory and problem type questions which your evident math skills will be a definite help.

Now enjoy the rest of your Christmas holidays! ;)

Actually one other question - probably for my interest more than anything else - what other option(s) besides accountancy have you considered?
    actually had intended to join the guards with the recruitment freeze
    decieded to complete a degree, theres no definite career path i'm
    interested in, accounting was suggested by my teachers, aside from that
    my other options are business related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Maths will only help a little in certain topics like quantitative methods. Numerical ability is a plus but accountancy is more about standards and laws and more similar to law than mathematics. Obviously some areas of accountancy will require more maths than others but the degrees are more like law degrees than maths degrees these days.

Maths will only help a little in certain topics like quantitative methods. Numerical ability is a plus but accountancy is more about standards and laws and more similar to law than mathematics. Obviously some areas of accountancy will require more maths than others but the degrees are more like law degrees than maths degrees these days.
    thank you, is a large portion of the course dedicated to business law etc?

• Advertisement

Mmm - tough one. I know the guards were screaming for good new recruits not so long ago, so not too sure how long the embargo will last.

Am I correct in thinking you're repeating the leaving cert or are already on a break from the leaving cert as you already have your Math result...

How about taking on a legal type course, whether a full law degree or other two to three year law course. This would help with your legal knowledge and allow you to bide your time until the embargo is over ... if you really want to be a guard?!?

How the standards are applied is more like problem solving and having the ability to get an A in Honours maths is a good indicator he will be able to apply the standards within the given scenario, imo.

no luckily was quite pleased with the results, travelling for this year,
    hadn't considered other options until recently. Considered doing a criminology
    degree but was advised to do something different as it wouldn't be
    practical in terms of employment other than the guards.
    thanks for all your advice by the way.

How the standards are applied is more like problem solving and having the ability to get an A in Honours maths is a good indicator he will be able to apply the standards within the given scenario, imo.
    thanks im a girl though lol
    did you find mathematical ability was helpful to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

the leaving cert accounting was very basic. i got an A in it with little study. Got a B at hons maths and found some of the calculus and probability etc helped witth accountancy and finance degree i did at dcu. Decided not to work in accountancy in the end, too boring.

the leaving cert accounting was very basic. i got an A in it with little study. Got a B at hons maths and found some of the calculus and probability etc helped witth accountancy and finance degree i did at dcu. Decided not to work in accountancy in the end, too boring.
    how so? does it differ to other jobs in the finance/business
    field?

thanks im a girl though lol
    did you find mathematical ability was helpful to you

Sorry - My bad.

I've more experience with the professional exams and while most of the maths are basic you need to be very comfortable with them as you will need to get through quite an amount of them within the time limits of a number of the exams, especially the management accounting and Financial Management type exams.

As you progress (not likely within college undergraduate accountancy exams I imagine, but open to correction) you'll come across the likes of the Black Scholes model, but with practice this will not phase you either. ;)

It all depends on how bad you want to become a guard... If you really want it then criminology would not be a bad choice. Of course half ways through criminology if you change your mind you may be limited to within the criminal justice system at least.

Decided not to work in accountancy in the end, too boring.

And you went on to become...

Sorry - My bad.

I've more experience with the professional exams and while most of the maths are basic you need to be very comfortable with them as you will need to get through quite an amount of them within the time limits of a number of the exams, especially the management accounting and Financial Management type exams.

As you progress (not likely within college undergraduate accountancy exams I imagine, but open to correction) you'll come across the likes of the Black Scholes model, but with practice this will not phase you either. ;)

It all depends on how bad you want to become a guard... If you really want it then criminology would not be a bad choice. Of course half ways through criminology if you change your mind you may be limited to within the criminal justice system at least.
    thank you, i've been generally advised to try a completely different route,
    which would be more "suitable" for a girl lol
    In school my best subjects were maths/business,
    did you enjoy the course?

how so? does it differ to other jobs in the finance/business
    field?

Can't speak for Ron, but since working in Accountancy I've worked in...

an Accounting Practice
    General Electric - helping them to introduce Barclays into Ireland.
    Dell - Helping to transfer their accounting function from London to Ireland
    Financial Controller of a software company
    Commercial Accountant working on a major airport's 10 year business plan.
    Financial controller of a Food processing company.

Apart from practice a lot of my jobs entailed much more than accountancy. It involved helping the strategic development of a company, which I personally wouldn't consider boring. But then again I am an accountant - I'm biased. :D

But I'm in my Mid-Thirties and my life is half over! :D

• Advertisement

That sounds really interesting,
    Do accountants generally find varied employment like that
    or are you just very good at your job!!!!!
    Have you ever found it boring?

did you enjoy the course?

I did, although after AAT (two years in LIT) I studied in the evenings for ACCA, so probably not the best person to ask.
    i've been generally advised to try a completely different route,
    which would be more "suitable" for a girl lol

:eek: Surprised such advice is given these days. I've noticed quite a number of female gardai of late.

Can I ask the question - why do you want to be a guard. And... why do you think you wouldn't mind being an accountant?

I did, although after AAT (two years in LIT) I studied in the evenings for ACCA, so probably not the best person to ask.

:eek: Surprised such advice is given these days. I've noticed quite a number of female gardai of late.

Can I ask the question - why do you want to be a guard. And... why do you think you wouldn't mind being an accountant?
    Good questions! Basically i'd enjoy doing different things where each day is different.
    and being active, obviously it's productive because it's such a neccessary
    profession
    Why an accountant? Well working with numbers etc would be my next preference
    i've weighed it up with other options and i've shown the most interest in this.

That sounds really interesting,
    Do accountants generally find varied employment like that
    or are you just very good at your job!!!!!
    Have you ever found it boring?

There are two types of accountant. Those that stay in practice and those that start out or transition into industry. I enjoyed my approx two years in practice (left for monetary reasons!) - but would imagine it would get very repetitive after a time. And it wasn't for me.

Even within industry you'll find accountants happy to plod along doing month end duties etc, but really, accountancy is an excellent basis to move into senior management in a company. I would go further by saying that if you are still an accountant by the time you are 40 you've done something radically wrong. :D

So, while accountancy can give you the skills and opportunities, it will be up to you to go after them. Times are changing within accountancy and more women than men are now entering. However, there seems to be a glass ceiling still remaining (although the best accountant's I've worked with (self excluded of course :D ) were women) - but that's a whole different discussion.

Yes - I have found it boring at times, but this acted as a spur... especially my time at the airport. I'd still be the FC of the software company except for financial reasons (beyond my control!!! :D) and down sizing of the company.

Good questions! Basically i'd enjoy doing different things where each day is different.
    and being active, obviously it's productive because it's such a neccessary
    profession
    Why an accountant? Well working with numbers etc would be my next preference
    i've weighed it up with other options and i've shown the most interest in this.

You might also want to look into studying to become an actuary. Really Really tough, but if you are very good at maths it might be for you. It's very well paid, and employment prospects are good. However, I don't think it would fulfil your other criteria of wanting each day to be different I'm afraid.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blackbetty68

yes i hope to be an accountant someday also

There are two types of accountant. Those that stay in practice and those that start out or transition into industry. I enjoyed my approx two years in practice (left for monetary reasons!) - but would imagine it would get very repetitive after a time. And it wasn't for me.

Even within industry you'll find accountants happy to plod along doing month end duties etc, but really, accountancy is an excellent basis to move into senior management in a company. I would go further by saying that if you are still an accountant by the time you are 40 you've done something radically wrong. :D

So, while accountancy can give you the skills and opportunities, it will be up to you to go after them. Times are changing within accountancy and more women than men are now entering. However, there seems to be a glass ceiling still remaining (although the best accountant's I've worked with (self excluded of course :D ) were women) - but that's a whole different discussion.

Yes - I have found it boring at times, but this acted as a spur... especially my time at the airport. I'd still be the FC of the software company except for financial reasons (beyond my control!!! :D) and down sizing of the company.
    Absolutely agree, there is still gender discrimination in senior positions.
    Once one progresses in accountancy and finds challenging projects, from
    what you've said it seems very interesting. Did you know that's what
    you wanted to do at a young age?

You might also want to look into studying to become an actuary. Really Really tough, but if you are very good at maths it might be for you. It's very well paid, and employment prospects are good. However, I don't think it would fulfil your other criteria of wanting each day to be different I'm afraid.:(
    There seems to be a vast amount of options within accounting,
    Do you know what the progression for college graduates is?
    What type of work do they begin in?

Did you know that's what you wanted to do at a young age?

YES - I remember thinking when I was six years of age... Actually, no. I don't think anyone looks up at their mum and dad or winks at the girl/boy at the back of the bike shed and says - "When I grow up I want to become an accountant". Doesn't have the same coolness factor to it as truck driver or Frogman :confused: which I think I wanted to be when a kid. :o

But, no, I know what you mean. Nope, it's only when I was pretty much at the stage you are at that I thought business studies or such like would be interesting.

• Advertisement

yes i hope to be an accountant someday also
    Hi Blackbetty68 - welcome to our insanely late holiday season accounting discussion. Are you filling out your CAO form any time soon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement