Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accounting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭m19

smcgiff wrote: »
    YES - I remember thinking when I was six years of age... Actually, no. I don't think anyone looks up at their mum and dad or winks at the girl/boy at the back of the bike shed and says - "When I grow up I want to become an accountant". Doesn't have the same coolness factor to it as truck driver or Frogman :confused: which I think I wanted to be when a kid. :o

But, no, I know what you mean. Nope, it's only when I was pretty much at the stage you are at that I thought business studies or such like would be interesting.
    Truck driver and frogman are sensible career choices at 6!
    How long did it take you to adapt to the course?, when everything
    stops being alien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

m19 wrote: »
    There seems to be a vast amount of options within accounting,
    Do you know what the progression for college graduates is?
    What type of work do they begin in?

The most traditional route for an accounting graduate is to try to get into a top 4 accountancy practice (Deloitte, KPMG, PWC or E&Y) if you get a 1.1 or 2.1. However, there are a number of other accountancy firms that will take on accountancy (or other) graduates. Some like graduates to have done marketing for instance.

Within a practice you can do down a tax or accountancy route and from there you will gain experience and other options will open up. Within a big firm you're likely to be contracted for approx 3 to 4 years.

You'll have to weigh up the perceived benefits of working for a large practice (big four prestige) to working for a smaller company and getting a more rounded job experience.

After qualifying (or possibly before hand if you join a smaller firm) you will need to consider staying on in practice or heading off into industry.

The most traditional route for an accounting graduate is to try to get into a top 4 accountancy practice (Deloitte, KPMG, PWC or E&Y) if you get a 1.1 or 2.1. However, there are a number of other accountancy firms that will take on accountancy (or other) graduates. Some like graduates to have done marketing for instance.

Within a practice you can do down a tax or accountancy route and from there you will gain experience and other options will open up. Within a big firm you're likely to be contracted for approx 3 to 4 years.

You'll have to weigh up the perceived benefits of working for a large practice (big four prestige) to working for a smaller company and getting a more rounded job experience.

After qualifying (or possibly before hand if you join a smaller firm) you will need to consider staying on in practice or heading off into industry.
    Did you find that stage interesting/tough work?
    Is there any of your jobs that you'd class as the most challenging?

Truck driver and frogman are sensible career choices at 6!

I thought so :D

How long did it take you to adapt to the course?, when everything
    stops being alien

No matter what course you take on will be alien, but what you start to study should stop being alien as you digest and get to understand it.

But remember, you've just successfully passed the hardest set of exams you will ever face - the diverse and manic Irish Leaving Certificate :D

I agree nothing could be more nerve wrecking!
    also we were led to believe it would be so much worse than it was
    some very over dramatic teachers! Then waiting for Aug 12 seemed
    like an eternity, just thinking about it............................

• Advertisement

Did you find that stage interesting/tough work?
    Is there any of your jobs that you'd class as the most challenging?

It was certainly challenging at the time. Especially if you're ambitious. The practice I joined really let you progress as quickly as you wanted. By the time I left there were some trainees doing pretty much what they were doing when they first joined.

Each job will have it's own challenges. From the time early in my time in industry when a person (a girl* actually) would take my ideas and present them as their own. Once right in front of me! I can laugh now, but at the time I felt like pulling my hair out. Then there was the time when I was working for a company strapped for cash and had to get it in ASAP.

* I can mention this as I've praised female accountants earlier!!! :D

You also have to have the confidence of speaking in front of others, but you'd need this in the guards too I imagine giving evidence.

also we were led to believe it would be so much worse than it was
    some very over dramatic teachers!

Ah, but in their defence they were trying to motivate ye. Rather over prepared than under prepared...

Actually, forgot to mention I've also lectured accounting part time in the evenings!

So, any closer to deciding on accountancy or something else until the Public Sector embargo is over?

It was certainly challenging at the time. Especially if you're ambitious. The practice I joined really let you progress as quickly as you wanted. By the time I left there were some trainees doing pretty much what they were doing when they first joined.

Each job will have it's own challenges. From the time early in my time in industry when a person (a girl* actually) would take my ideas and present them as their own. Once right in front of me! I can laugh now, but at the time I felt like pulling my hair out. Then there was the time when I was working for a company strapped for cash and had to get it in ASAP.

* I can mention this as I've praised female accountants earlier!!! :D

You also have to have the confidence of speaking in front of others, but you'd need this in the guards too I imagine giving evidence.
    OMG i would have definitely giving her a telling off!
    That must have been uncomfortable working with her after that.
    Do you think theres any gender preference in those stages
    or it's equal opportunities?

Ah, but in their defence they were trying to motivate ye. Rather over prepared than under prepared...

Actually, forgot to mention I've also lectured accounting part time in the evenings!

So, any closer to deciding on accountancy or something else until the Public Sector embargo is over?
    You've given me the best advice so thank you,
    It seems very interesting, the probability is i'll
    finish the degree then join the guards unless i
    really like it.

You really have had a varied career!
    Do you enjoy lecturing?

• Advertisement

OMG i would have definitely giving her a telling off!
    That must have been uncomfortable working with her after that.
    Do you think theres any gender preference in those stages
    or it's equal opportunities?

It was definitely an eye opener and good experience. Never told her off though.

Pretty much equal opportunities I'd say. Hopefully if you progress further by then things will have changed. With that said I'd say it's at least as bad within the guards. :eek:

You've given me the best advice so thank you,
    It seems very interesting, the probability is i'll
    finish the degree then join the guards unless i
    really like it.

That's probably the best thing to do. Give something like an accountancy under grad degree a go and at least you will have kept your options open. And it really is the best place to be during a recession! ;)

You really have had a varied career!
    Do you enjoy lecturing?

I only did it for one 6 month's session teaching ACCA's F2 paper. It was enjoyable enough to know that I'd like to get into it full time in an LIT or Uni. But that's very hard to get into at the moment.

However, I couldn't keep it going part time as it took more time than I realised and would have affected the day job.

Yip - accountancy will open lots of careers. Although, it could be said that any degree course will open lecturing degree opportunities. Tired now, so not sure if I'm making sense! :o

It was definitely an eye opener and good experience. Never told her off though.

Pretty much equal opportunities I'd say. Hopefully if you progress further by then things will have changed. With that said I'd say it's at least as bad within the guards. :eek:
    Absolutely, especially within my own group of family/friends,
    It was stereotypically male fifty years ago but not nowadays,
    things have significintly progressed when they were introduced
    it was said in the dail the should be unattractive or something equally
    ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blackbetty68

Hi Blackbetty68 - welcome to our insanely late holiday season accounting discussion. Are you filling out your CAO form any time soon?

yes i am as a matter of fact.. still dont know what to put down first tho

Is accounting your first preference?

Absolutely, especially within my own group of family/friends,

Ahh - so you've a good bit of knowledge about the guards so, that's great.

If you could just tell them not to put up speed traps on dual carriage ways that would be great. That's pretty much my only interaction with them I'm afraid! :D;)

It's almost 4, sorry for keeping you up so late.

You're at an important stage, so I'm duty bound. It's in the accounting oath they make you take! ;)

Ahh - so you've a good bit of knowledge about the guards so, that's great.

If you could just tell them not to put up speed traps on dual carriage ways that would be great. That's pretty much my only interaction with them I'm afraid! :D;)
    good observation lol
    Do you think i should try accounting?

What are your other options/thoughts?

• Advertisement

You're at an important stage, so I'm duty bound. It's in the accounting oath they make you take! ;)
    Your doing a very convincing job then.............
    Are you enjoying xmas?

good observation lol

Mmm - maybe I should join the guards - and you can go into accountancy.
    Do you think i should try accounting?

I'm reluctant to give such definitive advice. It's such a big decision... I've given you some reasons why accountancy is attractive. I'll also add that I've not regretted my choice, but ultimately you'll need to make that call. And now I sound like a consultant! :D

Are you enjoying xmas?

It's a great time of year. Always just a tinsy bit surprised each year when Santa doesn't leave me a present tough. Must have been naughty yet again this year! :rolleyes:

And you - still enjoying the break?

Mmm - maybe I should join the guards - and you can go into accountancy.

I'm reluctant to give such definitive advice. It's such a big decision... I've given you some reasons why accountancy is attractive. I'll also add that I've not regretted my choice, but ultimately you'll need to make that call. And now I sound like a consultant! :D
    It is an important choice but i've looked through so many
    courses and i'm most interested in that, still have a couple
    of weeks to think about it. You've never wished you did something else?
    that's positive.

It's a great time of year. Always just a tinsy bit surprised each year when Santa doesn't leave me a present tough. Must have been naughty yet again this year! :rolleyes:

And you - still enjoying the break?
    Yes it's fun although 18 year olds should NOT spend to much
    time with their parents................

You've never wished you did something else?
    that's positive.

Well, now - I wouldn't quite go that far. Something like a striker for Liverpool FC or as a male model hanging around Super Models has crossed my mind! :D

Yes it's fun although 18 year olds should NOT spend to much
    time with their parents................

It's the parents I feel sorry for! :p

Well, now - I wouldn't quite go that far. Something like a striker for Liverpool FC or as a male model hanging around Super Models has crossed my mind! :D
    I think every man in the country would love that!
    Overall your content with your job?
    What type of job do you work at now?

:(

• Advertisement

Overall your content with your job?
    What type of job do you work at now?

When I listed my experiences about it was in chronological order - I'm a financial controller - but also heading up the Admin side of things. 15 direct reports from accounts staff to reception.

Yeah - I would classify it as one of the better careers/professions.

I like to think of it as the Modelling world's loss and accountancy's gain! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement