Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Lear or The Tempest?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Which Shakesphere play are you guys doing?

We're doing The Tempest (with Wuthering Heights as main text), which is a trickier route as doing King Lear as your main text kills two birds with one stone, but I haven't come across anyone else doing The Tempest.
    Is there anyone here doing The Tempest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

How does King Lear kill two birds with one stone? You have to do Shakespeare, either as your single or in your comparative. If you ask me, doing a shorter play like The Tempest as one of your comparatives is a great idea. WH is long, complicated and time-consuming, so doing it as a single text makes sense.

Besides, an examiner will be delighted to see a batch of different papers as the majority of students will be doing Lear as their single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

deemark wrote: »
    How does King Lear kill two birds with one stone? You have to do Shakespeare, either as your single or in your comparative. If you ask me, doing a shorter play like The Tempest as one of your comparatives is a great idea. WH is long, complicated and time-consuming, so doing it as a single text makes sense.

Besides, an examiner will be delighted to see a batch of different papers as the majority of students will be doing Lear as their single.
    By killing two birds I mean by choosing King Lear you get your Shakesphere and main text done in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I'm doing Lear and I have never heard of people doing Tempest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

unknown13 wrote: »
    I'm doing Lear and I have never heard of people doing Tempest.

Same here. I don't mind King Lear at all, maybe i'm only saying that becasue i got to go to London to see the play :D

By killing two birds I mean by choosing King Lear you get your Shakesphere and main text done in one.

But The Tempest is a lot easier and shorter so it's not as time-consuming. You still have to do 4 texts. I've taught King Lear as part of a comparative study before and it worked really well and cut down a lot of the work for my students as there wasn't as much quotation etc in the single text they did.

Seriously, be grateful that your teacher is thinking outside the box. An examiner will be delighted with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

An examiner will be delighted with you.

Really, He/She has probably corrected 25 papers where Lear has been used and has about one or two left and then all of a suddenly Tempest is used, that is going to be one annoyed examiner.

Really, He/She has probably corrected 25 papers where Lear has been used and has about one or two left and then all of a suddenly Tempest is used, that is going to be one annoyed examiner.

Believe me, Hell is reading 220 Macbeth essays, 3/4 of them on the same question... Any change, good or bad, is welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jason.

Which Shakesphere play are you guys doing?

We're doing The Tempest (with Wuthering Heights as main text), which is a trickier route as doing King Lear as your main text kills two birds with one stone, but I haven't come across anyone else doing The Tempest.
    Is there anyone here doing The Tempest?

Our class is doing the same thing. We have The Tempest, Casablanca and Purple Hibiscus for the comparative. It's pretty handy in regards to the comparative because 4 or 5 quotes from TT and your pretty much sorted for that.
    As for Wuthering Heights, I don't have a clue about it. We done it last year and the whole thing has just left my mind. It's most likely because i found it quite mind-numbing to be honest. The question for the main text is worth 60m compared to 70m for the comparative as far as i know, so even if i could grasp 30m from the question I'd be pretty happy.
    But anyway...just to let you know your not the only one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Why?
    Believe me, Hell is reading 220 Macbeth essays, 3/4 of them on the same question... Any change, good or bad, is welcome.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Jason. wrote: »
    Our class is doing the same thing. We have The Tempest, Casablanca and Purple Hibiscus for the comparative. It's pretty handy in regards to the comparative because 4 or 5 quotes from TT and your pretty much sorted for that.
    As for Wuthering Heights, I don't have a clue about it. We done it last year and the whole thing has just left my mind. It's most likely because i found it quite mind-numbing to be honest. The question for the main text is worth 60m compared to 70m for the comparative as far as i know, so even if i could grasp 30m from the question I'd be pretty happy.
    But anyway...just to let you know your not the only one!:D
    Cool, nice to know I'm not alone!

There's a lot in WH, I've read it once and found it a little confusing, so I used Sparknotes.com to clear up some of the questions. It worked well. I've downloaded an audiobook of WH. Haven't listened to it yet, but it's 4 hours long and if it is good, that would be an amazing help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement