Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panel Heater on Combi Unit not working

Options
  • 29-12-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I have a question regarding a Panel heater not working.
    I have two Dimplex combi-heaters in my house.
    To use the panel heater I flick the red switch on the side, the switch lights up and the panel heater comes on.
    A few months ago, one of the panel heaters stopped working.
    I flick the switch and the red light comes on but no heat.
    This has now happened to the other combi-heater.

Has anybody any ideas how to fix this ?

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

how old are they? do you use them often?? may have just overheated and tripped out or could be bust depending on age/usage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Johnfkm

I think they are about 10-12 years old, same age as the house.
    I'm only there 2 years
    I used the panel heaters quiet a bit, there great for instant heat.
    If they tripped out because of over heat, what would be the solution ?
    they where both on for awhile before they stopped.
    It's strange that the red light still comes on though

if they were left on for long periods of time the thermal overload would have tripped. it depends on the heater as to where you may find the overload or if it has them even fitted.if u feel confident turn them off that the wall and remoev the front cover of the heater probable the one covering the panel heater part it may be located under there or near the switch. if u dont i would get an electrician to have a look if they need replacing he will need to to that neway. at 12 years old if they were in regular use they may just need to be replaced

Had an electrician look at the combi heaters and he recomended replacing them.
    Do you know how much they'd cost and where's the best place to buy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Did he check the thermal overload?
    It's a 10 euro part and an easy fix.
    Contact dimpco on the old airport road for price on both new heater and thermal overload, have your model number handy.

• Advertisement

He checked the thermal overload and said he could change it.
    The storage heater isn't working very well either so he recommended changing the whole unit.
    it's quite old so it's probably for the best.
    I'll give dimpco a shout, thks for your help

there about 3 - 400 euro afaik when i last bought one (not certain) but it depends on the size and rating

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

John if you're going to replace the entire unit, I'd recommend spending a few extra euro and get the duo-heat model.
    It's almost nice looking and the combi element is much better.

Advertisement