Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Terrestrial Television(DTT) reception in Waterford

• 29-12-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Can people in Waterford get Digital Terrestrial Television(DTT) reception?

If so what type of aerial if any is required?

It looks like there may be a transmitter in Dungarvan but I am looking for actual reports from people in Waterford city before I purchase a receiver.

I know that the DTT transmissions are still only in testing but hopefully they should come on full time in the next few months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

reni10 wrote: »
    Can people in Waterford get Digital Terrestrial Television(DTT) reception?

If so what type of aerial if any is required?

It looks like there may be a transmitter in Dungarvan but I am looking for actual reports from people in Waterford city before I purchase a receiver.

I know that the DTT transmissions are still only in testing but hopefully they should come on full time in the next few months?

You wont get DTT from Dungarvan but Suir Valley is up and running and Mount Leinster may also be available to you. A group C/D aerial is needed for Suir Valley.

I find that the signal on DTT is very strong so you should have no problems.

Remember that Irish DTT is using MPEG4 unlike the UK so if your tv or set top box is not compatible you will not receive a picture on the broadcasts and only audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Waterford City is also on air, not sure of channel group.

For Mount Leinster (probably where your current aerial is pointing) you'll need a group B aerial.

A.

alinton wrote: »
    Waterford City is also on air, not sure of channel group.

Doesn't Suir Valley cover Waterford City?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Thanks for the advice so I should be able to receive the DTT signals.

I am thinking of buying the following receiver:
    AZBOX HD ELITE
    http://www.saortv.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=25

Already have a redundant Sky Dish on the wall so can use it with that and then save about 400 a year on TV from UPC!

Anyone know the best place to buy this receiver for the best price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

What stations would you get with this in Waterford city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Just the four Irish terrestrial channels and RTE News Now.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

You can get all the Irish stations and then using a dish can get all the English FTA stations like bbc utv channel4 five etc.

Looks like all up about 40-50 channels for free without any monthly subscription.

alinton wrote: »
    Just the four Irish terrestrial channels and RTE News Now.

A.

Not a big deal to some but I do enjoy the DAB radio channels from RTÉ. These are also on DTT as of a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

reni10 wrote: »
    You can get all the Irish stations and then using a dish can get all the English FTA stations like bbc utv channel4 five etc.

Looks like all up about 40-50 channels for free without any monthly subscription.

Does anyone know of a device that can record from 2 x FTA digital satellite and 1 x digital terrestrial feeds - in a similar fashion to Sky Plus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Text_Mad

Has anyone used the new teletext service on the DTT stations?.Any kinda of information would be a great help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement