Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor change minimum call charge (PAYG)

Options
  • 29-12-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Meteor are getting rid of the minimum call charge (9cent) and replacing it with a connection fee of 5cent(inc. VAT) for prepay customers. Where as the minimum call charge was included in the price per min the connection fee is added on making it more expensive.

The change will take place on the 31st of January 2010 for the following price plans: Anytime Choice, Anytime Xtra and Anytime Plus ,Leisuretime Plus from September 2005. Other plans like (Anytime International, Anytime Original, Leisuretime Original ,International Anytime Plus and Leisuretime Plus from 2002 to August 2005) will change price on the 19th of February 2010

Here is the link to the info http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/notifications/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Pineapple_Boi

so instead of having a 9c minimum you now have to pay 5c *on top* of the per minute price.

So they are basically pushing up their prices again. ****ers. Damn them to hell.

Why did no competition authority say anything when every single mobile phone company introduced this silly charge, 1 after the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

so instead of having a 9c minimum you now have to pay 5c *on top* of the per minute price.

Thanks for making that clear - I wasn't getting the angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

So they are basically pushing up their prices again. ****ers. Damn them to hell.

How are they pushing prices up?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    How are they pushing prices up?? :confused:

I don't see anything about putting prices up???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

free calls free messages who care, i have over €120 credit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I don't see anything about putting prices up???

Its not a minimum call charge, its like a levy, its 5c which is added to the cost of the call.

For example, a one minute call to another network at the 29c/min rate will be charged as follows:

1x29c + 5c = 34c

A 2 minute call used to cost 58c ( 2x29c), but it now costs 2x29c + 5c = 63c.

Basically, and take my word on this, all calls which take less than 9 seconds are now cheaper, and all calls over 18 seconds are now 5c more expensive.

They are copying what o2 have been doing, and continuing the Vodafone/Meteor/O2 cartel where they refuse to compete with each other in the prepay market and offer virtually the exact same charges as each other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

That's very, very sneaky! Looking at it first it does appear they're dropping the price, but as pointed out, you're charged a 5c "connection fee", NOT a 5c minimum call charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

jordainius wrote: »
    Its not a minimum call charge, its like a levy, its 5c which is added to the cost of the call.

For example, a one minute call to another network at the 29c/min rate will be charged as follows:

1x29c + 5c = 34c

A 2 minute call used to cost 58c ( 2x29c), but it now costs 2x29c + 5c = 63c.

Basically, and take my word on this, all calls which take less than 9 seconds are now cheaper, and all calls over 18 seconds are now 5c more expensive.

They are copying what o2 have been doing, and continuing the Vodafone/Meteor/O2 cartel where they refuse to compete with each other in the prepay market and offer virtually the exact same charges as each other...

Thanks for explaining it. This is such a rip off. We are one of the dearest countries in Europe for calls :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Thanks to jordainius and Pineapple_Boi for making it clear I've updated my 1st post so it's a bit easier to understand ( I first thought Meteor were doing a nice thing :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

free calls free messages who care, i have over 120 credit
    Nothing is free. You have had to spend 120 to get your 'free' calls and texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Walkman wrote: »
    Nothing is free. You have had to spend 120 to get your 'free' calls and texts.

+1, having 120 credit is just dumb! Just spend you're credit ffs! And save your 20 a month for a couple.

prepaid these days is basically a subscription

if you don't pay the minimum they specify every month then they jack up the call prices and leave you out in the cold (o2/iphone)

before 20e credit was 20e credit. now with increased call prices and 'free' texts 20e credit is only 20e credit if it was spent in the last month and 20e was the total amount spent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

o2 have more expensive 'not topped up' call rates, than if you have topped up by the 20e that month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

If you add the 5c set up fee to the 29c rate - you have 34c per a one minute call.

I am not too bad as I am on the old 13c off peak plan.

Advertisement