Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player of the Decade??

Options
  • 29-12-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Its not been our best decade for players but we've still had some good players to enjoy.

Who's your favourite player of the noughties?

A few candidates might be:
    1. Teddy Sheringham - did a lot of his good work in the 90's but returned from Man U for a second decent spell with us in noughties
    2. Darren Anderton - loyal servant, who despite a lot of injuries, always did his best for us. Some cracking goals along the way
    3. David Ginola - Unbelievable skill on the wing, not seen since the days of Chrissy Waddle. Some great individual goals.
    4. Dimitar Berbabov - Fantastic striker played with panache and class. Left for £30m when Fergie came calling though
    5. Robbie Keane - Right up there in our top ever scorers charts. Found a home at WHL, scored some memorable goals too. Spoilt it all by leaving for Anfield, but then returned for 2nd spell
    6. Ledley King - Won of the best CBs in the world when fit and playing. But for injury would have been an all-time great and England regular.
    7.Aaron Lennon - Incredible pace on the wing causes havoc in defences. Our current number 1 creative weapon.
    8. Jermain Defoe - is a yiddo. 2 spells at WHL, probably the best finisher/goalscorer we've had since Lineker. Has added strength to his speed and trickery. Could become a legend over the next 5 years.

Its a really hard one for me! Both Berbatov and Keane spoilt their Spurs' legacies by leaving under poor circumstances. Teddy was great in the 90's but his best football was probably for Man U! Anderton was injured too much for me. Ginola was probably the most inventive and skilful player we had but it was only for a season or 2. The current guns of Defoe and Lennon may well be up there as the best players of the next decade once they've proven themselves over time. Ledley would have been a cert if it wasn't for his chronic knee.

Its a hard one, but i'm going for Robbie Keane. He's in the Top 10 scorers for us all time. He's now captain. He's scored some amazing goals including my vote for goal of the decade. His celebrations and reactions after winning the League Cup in 08 summed up his passion and feeling for the game and Spurs. The one fly in the ointment is the move to Liverpool to play CL football and for his 'boyhood' club. But it didn't work out and he's back and scored a lot of goals in 2nd spell. According to Harry, he was a major reason for our upturn in form in season 08/09. So for me its Robbie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Klinsmann retired in 1998 : for me he is head and shoulder above anyone in your list.

As a fellow spurs man, my vote goes to.............Defoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

hinault wrote: »
    Klinsmann retired in 1998 : for me he is head and shoulder above anyone in your list.

As a fellow spurs man, my vote goes to.............Defoe.
    Yep, agree with you re.Klinsmann. 90's we also had Gazza and Lineker - all over whom would be head and shoulders above the 00's list.

Yep, agree with you re.Klinsmann. 90's we also had Gazza and Lineker - all over whom would be head and shoulders above the 00's list.

None of whom come anywhere near..........................Martin Chivers!

(the best Spurs forward, I have ever seen
    now I am showing my age!).

None of whom come anywhere near..........................Martin Chivers!

(the best Spurs forward, I have ever seen
    now I am showing my age!).
    My Dad always told me Greavsie was the best he'd seen.

My Dad always told me Greavsie was the best he'd seen.

I believe JG was superb - but I never saw JG play (I'm old but not that old!).

Funny talking about Greaves - I saw a programme about 1966 World Cup and JG was not selected by Ramsey for the final, even though JG was literally scoring against all and sundry.
    By all accounts, greaves was a superb forward : way ahead of the likes of Lineker by comparison. (just to illustrate how good he was).

My earliest memories start in the 1970's with the Jennings, Coates, Gilzen, Knowles, Perryman, Chivers team, managed by Sir Bill.
    Ask your dad about that team.

The 80's team was nearly as good as you well know.

Hopefully this season we will do well too.

• Advertisement

I believe JG was superb - but I never saw JG play (I'm old but not that old!).

Funny talking about Greaves - I saw a programme about 1966 World Cup and JG was not selected by Ramsey for the final, even though JG was literally scoring against all and sundry.
    By all accounts, greaves was a superb forward : way ahead of the likes of Lineker by comparison. (just to illustrate how good he was).

My earliest memories start in the 1970's with the Jennings, Coates, Gilzen, Knowles, Perryman, Chivers team, managed by Sir Bill.

The 80's team was nearly as good as you well know.

Hopefully this season we will do well too.
    Yep, i'm strictly an 80's man - my first memories of football were the 81, 82 Cup wins and then the 84 UEFA cup win, unfortunately because i was so young i thought it was always like that!!

I don't think Greavsie ever recovered from the disappointment of missing out on the World Cup final - then watching his replacement become a legend!

No, i'm not as familiar with the 70's team - My Dad doesn't stop talking about the 60's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I don't have to ask my dad about that team - he brought me to watch them!! And I can name the missing players off the top of my head - Kinnear, England, Beal, Kinnear, Morgan, Neighbour, Peters etc. Fine team but they under-achieved also - couple of League Cups and an UEFA Cup.

I am old enough to remember Greavsie. Missed him live by three days (my first game at White Hot Lane was Martin Peter's debut and Greaves was the makeweight in that deal (due to his age)). Chivers was good but wouldn't touch Greaves. Only forward to get anywhere close since then was Lineker but I would still take Greaves

This thread seems to have expanded beyond the decade. I can't believe that the main man hasn't been mentioned - I refuse to look beyond Glenn Hoddle (a player who severely resticted my drinking habits as I would be standing on The Shelf an hour before kick-off just to see the tricks that he would do in the warm-up). He was pure magic

The players mentioned for the current decade show how poor it has been:
    Lennon: Brilliant this season but under-achieved up-to-this with a poor cross
    Keane and Defoe: Both went elsewhere for a while and not fully convinced
    King: Perhaps but too injury-prone

Think my vote will go to Ginola. A bit in the Hoddle mode in that you could always expect the unexpected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Since 2000 couldn't pick between Keane and King. Robbie is now a fading force but as was already posted is one of our top ten goalscorers. King though injured a lot has been an inspiration when fit. Has the lot as a defender.

All time player for me had to be the man who had everything Hoddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

King Ledley for me over the last decade. I just hope he can lift some more silverware for us before he finishes up. If only he had a good set of knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Ginola....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Its not been our best decade for players but we've still had some good players to enjoy.

Who's your favourite player of the noughties?

A few candidates might be:
    1. Teddy Sheringham - did a lot of his good work in the 90's but returned from Man U for a second decent spell with us in noughties
    2. Darren Anderton - loyal servant, who despite a lot of injuries, always did his best for us. Some cracking goals along the way
    3. David Ginola - Unbelievable skill on the wing, not seen since the days of Chrissy Waddle. Some great individual goals.
    4. Dimitar Berbabov - Fantastic striker played with panache and class. Left for £30m when Fergie came calling though
    5. Robbie Keane - Right up there in our top ever scorers charts. Found a home at WHL, scored some memorable goals too. Spoilt it all by leaving for Anfield, but then returned for 2nd spell
    6. Ledley King - Won of the best CBs in the world when fit and playing. But for injury would have been an all-time great and England regular.
    7.Aaron Lennon - Incredible pace on the wing causes havoc in defences. Our current number 1 creative weapon.
    8. Jermain Defoe - is a yiddo. 2 spells at WHL, probably the best finisher/goalscorer we've had since Lineker. Has added strength to his speed and trickery. Could become a legend over the next 5 years.

Its a really hard one for me! Both Berbatov and Keane spoilt their Spurs' legacies by leaving under poor circumstances. Teddy was great in the 90's but his best football was probably for Man U! Anderton was injured too much for me. Ginola was probably the most inventive and skilful player we had but it was only for a season or 2. The current guns of Defoe and Lennon may well be up there as the best players of the next decade once they've proven themselves over time. Ledley would have been a cert if it wasn't for his chronic knee.

Its a hard one, but i'm going for Robbie Keane. He's in the Top 10 scorers for us all time. He's now captain. He's scored some amazing goals including my vote for goal of the decade. His celebrations and reactions after winning the League Cup in 08 summed up his passion and feeling for the game and Spurs. The one fly in the ointment is the move to Liverpool to play CL football and for his 'boyhood' club. But it didn't work out and he's back and scored a lot of goals in 2nd spell. According to Harry, he was a major reason for our upturn in form in season 08/09. So for me its Robbie.

had a big hand in keeping us up that season we nearly got relegated

Advertisement