Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning an item

Options
  • 29-12-2009 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Last week I bought a jacket for my mum for christmas. I asked about exchanging and I was told that I could exchange up to the end of this week. I was also told that the particular jacket would not be reduced in the sale. It turned out that the jacket didn't fit properly so I fished out the receipt. It said a credit note or an exchange was possible to the end of the month. If you returned the jacket for a credit note, would you expect it for the full amount or the reduced price, now that they have decided to sell it in the sale? Would you expect to be allowed exchange it for a coat of the full amount or equal to the reduced price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Black Lead

It all depends on the stores own policy if you have the receipt you should get back what you paid for it if you didn't have the receipt you would only get the sale price. As you have the receipt you should get what you paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

smurff wrote: »
    I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Last week I bought a jacket for my mum for christmas. I asked about exchanging and I was told that I could exchange up to the end of this week. I was also told that the particular jacket would not be reduced in the sale. It turned out that the jacket didn't fit properly so I fished out the receipt. It said a credit note or an exchange was possible to the end of the month. If you returned the jacket for a credit note, would you expect it for the full amount or the reduced price, now that they have decided to sell it in the sale? Would you expect to be allowed exchange it for a coat of the full amount or equal to the reduced price?

You would be entitled to a credit note for the amount on the receipt only if the store agrees to accept it back seen as there is no fault with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You'll get a credit note or exchange to the amount listed on the receipt (according to what you've described here).

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

It is up to the store own policy, you are not entitled to a credit note nor a refund as there is noting wrong with the item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smurff

So I sent my mum back to the shop and she was given an exchange at the reduced value. I can understand why they would want to exchange the 200 euro jacket last week (150 this week) for a 150 item of clothing this week so I just called the shop and they'll have to get back to me I guess. Thanks for all your help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smurff

manutd wrote: »
    It is up to the store own policy, you are not entitled to a credit note nor a refund as there is noting wrong with the item.

The store's policy (on their receipt) states exchange or credit note up to Dec 31st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

smurff wrote: »
    The store's policy (on their receipt) states exchange or credit note up to Dec 31st

Does it say anything about the value being original or sale price though? You are limited by store policy here, and you'll have to accept whatever they give.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

Well how come I`ve heard on the radio ads for the consumer crowd of ireland or whatever that you are entitled to a full refund of your reciept and not what the item is being sold at in a sale. Also its not up to the shop to decide how much they refund you....thats tosh! The item was unsuitable to the customer as in it didnt fit, not that it didnt look nice.Your mum should have gotten a credit note for 200 euro

From Consumerconnect :

Shopping: introduction

Whenever you buy goods, you make a contract with the shop or seller who sold them to you. The seller agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price, and those goods should be:

Of "merchantable quality" – this means that they must be of an acceptable standard
    Fit for the purpose they were bought for
    As described. In other words, false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller

Replacements and refunds
    Any replacement offered should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price.

You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be entitled to the difference in value if the replacement is less expensive.

If they offer a refund, this can be in cash or by cheque, or (where appropriate) they can refund your credit card account.

If they offer you a credit note or voucher instead, it is your right not to take it and request a refund instead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MadMickeyMonk, You've very much misinterpreted what you heard on the radio and what you've read on their website

The item was unsuitable to the customer as in it didnt fit, not that it didnt look nice.Your mum should have gotten a credit note for 200 euro

The item however was very much so fit for purpose, it was bought as a jacket it is a jacket and it looks like a jacket and acts like one to.

The problem is with the customer who picked the wrong size, the customer is in the wrong not the shop
    From Consumerconnect :

Shopping: introduction

Whenever you buy goods, you make a contract with the shop or seller who sold them to you. The seller agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price, and those goods should be:

Of "merchantable quality" – this means that they must be of an acceptable standard
    Fit for the purpose they were bought for
    As described. In other words, false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller

Yes and its fit for the purpose it was bought for and was as described,
    - Its a jacket
    - It was bought as a jacket
    - The customer picked the wrong size[/QUOTE]

Your reading the law incorrect, the law is not on the OP's side it doesn't matter how you personally view it you are also incorrect
    Replacements and refunds
    Any replacement offered should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price.

The shop legally don't have to give ANY refund, any store credit they may give is as goodwill only.
    You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be entitled to the difference in value if the replacement is less expensive.

If you picked the wrong item then yes you will be paying the difference,
    If they offer a refund, this can be in cash or by cheque, or (where appropriate) they can refund your credit card account.

If they offer you a credit note or voucher instead, it is your right not to take it and request a refund instead.

Again not in this case, anything the shop does is as goodwill ONLY. no law in Ireland will force them to give a refund.

This is a very clear cut case yet people like yourself haven't a clue
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cabaal is spot on here.

The jacket was not defective, unfit for purpose etc. It merely didn't fit the person - this is why you're supposed to try clothes on before purchasing. Therefore the OP is not legally entitled to anything.

If the shop does agree to take the jacket back, then they are doing so out of the goodness of their hearts.

However, I am surprised that they're not giving you a credit note to the value of the money spent. It's poor form to do that to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement