Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oily/petrolly smell in house after using indoor oil based heating system

• 29-12-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭

We got a brand new kerosene indoor boiler last year.It was very expensive and supposed to be very good.However since we've got it it leaves a distinctly petrolly smell in the house after it's been used. I had a kerosene boiler before this one and never found any odour from it . I've called my plumber and he tells me that a petrolly smell is par for the course with an indoor boiler and there's nothing that can be done.

Is this the general experience of indoor boilers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stillbornalive

Check that the ventilation around it is clear , also if i has been serviced recently the gasket on the front covering of the boiler and burner may need a tightening. Also check that the smoke on the vent has not changed ie. the smoke produced from the boiler is not grey or black

Some indoor burners do produce a smell if not maintained and the air inlet has not been adjusted properly

Hope this is some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

chilly wrote: »
    We got a brand new kerosene indoor boiler last year.It was very expensive and supposed to be very good.However since we've got it it leaves a distinctly petrolly smell in the house after it's been used. I had a kerosene boiler before this one and never found any odour from it . I've called my plumber and he tells me that a petrolly smell is par for the course with an indoor boiler and there's nothing that can be done.

New oil boilers take some time to settle, they tend to give off smells for a while, all metal work, paint, flue etc gives off a smell as it gets hot.

Failing that, kerosene gives off a smell for a long time, if the boiler lost some kerosene onto floor, side of press etc it seeps in giving off a smell for long time.

Have a good look around boiler and flue, check for any kerosene, check no gaps etc around flue, try to rule out the obvious stuff, if you cant find anything might just be down to being a new boiler setting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

chilly wrote: »

You could inspect the burner unit, using a hand lamp or torch for any oil 'weeps' especially at the various pipe unions, oil pump casing etc. As your unit is indoors its reasonable to expect the various unions and fittings would be 'tight" ie dry.

Also from a health and safety perspective it would be reasonable to expect living spaces to be vapour free. It only takes a small amount of vapourising kerosene to leave a smell.

If you find any weeps or leaks, see if you can get them rectified under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Check that the ventilation around it is clear , also if i has been serviced recently the gasket on the front covering of the boiler and burner may need a tightening.

Hope this is some help

It was a great help! Thank you. I got someone who knows their gaskets from their own elbow to look in for me tonight and he tightened something, I presume the gasket, and it has helped!There doesn't seem to be any smell tonight which is a great relief.
    items wrote: »

Have a good look around boiler and flue, check for any kerosene, check no gaps etc around flue, try to rule out the obvious stuff, if you cant find anything might just be down to being a new boiler setting in.
    If you find any weeps or leaks, see if you can get them rectified under warranty.

I did have a look around myself for any leaks but I couldn't find anything.I know nothing about these things so thank you both for the starting point. It's also good to know that it's not a sign it might blow up or something.

Thank you all very much for your help and happy New Year. :)

Advertisement