Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating LC this year - English, or no English?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I did my Leaving Cert in 2009 but I'm going back in January to try for a different course. I got 400 the first time and I'm aiming for 450ish this time.

I have only 5/6 months to get the work done and dont know whether I should do Honours English, ordinary English, or drop English altogether and focus on 6 subjects??

Anyone have any advice for me?? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    I did my Leaving Cert in 2009 but I'm going back in January to try for a different course. I got 400 the first time and I'm aiming for 450ish this time.

I have only 5/6 months to get the work done and dont know whether I should do Honours English, ordinary English, or drop English altogether and focus on 6 subjects??

Anyone have any advice for me?? :(
    What did you get in English last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

theowen wrote: »
    What did you get in English last time?

a C3 :)

I know I can count that towards course points if I dropped it this year, but tbh I'm aiming for something else besides the course (which Id prefer not to state here :o ) and I cant carry over my English grade for that.

Confused?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    a C3 :)

I know I can count that towards course points if I dropped it this year, but tbh I'm aiming for something else besides the course (which Id prefer not to state here :o ) and I cant carry over my English grade for that.

Confused?? :p
    Oook. Depends where your repeating and if you need an honour in honors? But if you need it for your course then your going to have to do it:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think you should do it. A C3 in honours English is good, and you might regret not doing it if you don't get the points for your course again.

However, bear in mind that English is a large subject to take up. Also it is worth noting that the texts etc. change every year so a lot of what you learned last year is irrelevant.

You have to study King Lear by Shakespeare this year, which you didn't do last year.
    The poets are different, however there are a few that remained the same, e.g. Longley, Rich, Walcott (open to correction!).
    For the comparative, the three headings under which you have to compare your texts/films are 'Cultural Contect, Literary Genre, Vision & Viewpoint'.

Advertisement