Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science in UCD

Options
  • 29-12-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hello,
    Could someone please tell me how many hours per week is 1st year science in UCD, like what time is the earliest lecture/tutorial at in the morning and what is the latest one in the evening? is it 9-5ish everyday?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Depends on the modules you pick. You'd typically be looking at about 25 hours of lectures, labs & tutorials and maybe 2 nine o'clock starts a week with the rest being 10 or 11 o'clock starts. Again this is totally variable, in my second semester of first year I had all 9 o'clock starts and was in till 6 everyday except friday when I was in till five:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Forgot to say happy bday pljudge321, so happy birthday.

Like what was said, totally veriable. If you know what modules you will be taking, i.e. if you know if you will be doing physics or chemistry etc, you would go to the UCD module search and make a rough timetable for yourself based on this years times. Of course, they change every year...

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.program_list?p_website_mode=PROSPECTIVE&p_term_code=200900

It is a bit messy but workable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Forgot to say happy bday pljudge321, so happy birthday.

Like what was said, totally veriable. If you know what modules you will be taking, i.e. if you know if you will be doing physics or chemistry etc, you would go to the UCD module search and make a rough timetable for yourself based on this years times. Of course, they change every year...

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.program_list?p_website_mode=PROSPECTIVE&p_term_code=200900

It is a bit messy but workable...

Thanks Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

How come you get a BSc in UCD and a BA in TCD? Whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'd be surprised if a BA in science exists.

• Advertisement

It is because TCD are crap!

Na, it is just a historical overhang in TCD. They only give out BA's but I am lead to believe that they are changing it so they can award BSc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Depends on the modules you pick. You'd typically be looking at about 25 hours of lectures, labs & tutorials and maybe 2 nine o'clock starts a week with the rest being 10 or 11 o'clock starts. Again this is totally variable, in my second semester of first year I had all 9 o'clock starts and was in till 6 everyday except friday when I was in till five:rolleyes:.

I'm just after finishing my first semester of first year and my hours weren't nearly as bad as that. Maybe on a really bad week I'd have 25 hours but most weeks I'd have between 17 and 20 hours.

With the biology I done, all lectures and labs ended in the 7th week which gave me a few hours off and basically a free day on friday. But 9 - 5 is was extremely rare for me anyway - Maybe once a week tops.

Next semester I'm in twice a week at eleven and once at twelve!

I doubt the hours will be this good in 2nd 3rd and 4th year but I've found the hours grand so far and next semester is lookin' even better :)

I'll give you a link to my timetables to give you a better idea. Don't know if you'll be able to see it but here's hoping...

First sem.
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/W_SM_WEB_ENR_CAL.SHOW?p_calendar_mode=VIEW&p_semester=1

Second sem.
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/W_SM_WEB_ENR_CAL.SHOW?p_calendar_mode=VIEW&p_semester=2

Oh and 17.00-18.00 looks like two hours so the timetable makes it look a bit worse than it is!

I doubt the hours will be this good in 2nd 3rd and 4th year...

Last semester I had about 21 hours a week with only one lecture on Wednesday. I am a third year.

Also, those links won't work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Anyone know the timetable for earth systems and climate science?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

• Advertisement

Last semester I had about 21 hours a week with only one lecture on Wednesday. I am a third year.

Also, those links won't work...

Cool i was expecting way worse.

Sorry about the links I kind of expected them not to work cause of SIS.

But 1969, I was thinking of doing science in tcd last year and at this stage I couldn't imagine myself there. Science in UCD ftw! :D

Cool i was expecting way worse.

It really depends on what you choose to do. Chemistry = long lab hours...

It really depends on what you choose to do. Chemistry = long lab hours...

I'm goin' for physiology and maybe a bit of genetics / micro.

Am I in for long days? :o

I was thinking of doing science in tcd last year and at this stage I couldn't imagine myself there. Science in UCD ftw! :D

But did you not get offered a place in TCD?
    you like it now any ways so thats good........
    The new science building will be open somethime this year?

Is there any truth in this article or is the guy just an ass****
    http://www.oxygen.ie/university_college_dublin_guide_richard_cosgrove.PAGE1039.html

I prefer the sound of this one

Yeah...
    I suppose the guy who wrote the first was probably one of those moany fcukers whos never happy :)

I'm goin' for physiology and maybe a bit of genetics / micro.

Am I in for long days?

Can't really say anything about physiology. Genetics on the other hand, but it this way. I am a third genetics student who is looking forward to a 17 hour week next semester with three full day of labs in the second week of the mid term...
    TirNaNog. wrote: »
    The new science building will be open somethime this year?

Part of it will be...we hope...

But did you not get offered a place in TCD?

Stuck UCD ahead, thank God.

Yeah I've got UCD as No.1 now and TCD as No.2

I realise thats kind of pointless because UCD will probably always have lower points BUT should the planets allign in a certain way and North Korea denounce communism, RTE produce a good show and maybe Trinity points drop below UCD....I dont want to be caught out:rolleyes:

Conor108 wrote: »
    Yeah I've got UCD as No.1 now and TCD as No.2

I realise thats kind of pointless because UCD will probably always have lower points BUT should the planets allign in a certain way and North Korea denounce communism, RTE produce a good show and maybe Trinity points drop below UCD....I dont want to be caught out:rolleyes:

Look at how high the points went up this year. It's not gonna happen, but stranger things have happened! Tbh both courses are good im just glad i'm in UCD but i'd have nothin' against science in trinners.

• Advertisement

Yeah I dont really mind which one I do, they're very close. I'll probably change it a million times from now until it has to be submitted but today UCD is first.

About the points for Science (wherever), Would you guys expect them to go up, down or stay more or less the same?

Conor108 wrote: »
    About the points for Science (wherever), Would you guys expect them to go up, down or stay more or less the same?

I'll guess they will stay about the same maybe +- 5-15 points. I can't see them going up by much...

We the CAO make you an offer, how long can you fiddle around before you confirm or reject the offer?

We the CAO make you an offer, how long can you fiddle around before you confirm or reject the offer?

Until about the end of June.

Advertisement