Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juniper Berries

Options
  • 29-12-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi! I just found a new recipe for venison stew. It calls for juniperberries. It doesnt specifiy whether to use fresh or dried berries. Are they even available fresh anywhere in Dublin?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

you can get them in tesco where the spices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You use dried. You can get them in large supermarkets in the spice section or in some Asian shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

M&S sell them, dried - they'll be fine to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Got a jar of dried juniper berries in Aldi a few months back. Check the spice/herb section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

Thanks for the replies.
    I kenw dried one's were readily available was just wondering about the availability of fresh ones.
    The recipe says to caramelise te carrots in a pan with the juniperberries but there is no sugar in the recipe so I was guessing it would come from the berries but that wouldn't work if they were dried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jojo34

would love to find out where i could get my hands on some fresh juniper berries? any ideas. Im in dublin. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

scubasteve wrote: »
    The recipe says to caramelise te carrots in a pan with the juniperberries but there is no sugar in the recipe so I was guessing it would come from the berries but that wouldn't work if they were dried.
    juniper berries are not really berries and they're not sweet like other berries you might think of (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) if you want to caramelize carrot (they contain a lot of sugar) simply melt some butter in a pan, let it foam, add sliced carrots and add your juniper berries (crushed!) and toss until it caramelizes. just dont let butter burn

Advertisement