Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what tyres ???

Options
  • 29-12-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Volvo V50 2l Diesel and its fitted with Yokohama advan sport in the front and continental sport contact 2 in the back (they came with the car). All are 205/50 R17 93W.

I need to change them as they'll be soon on the legal limit but I'm not sure what type of tyres to get.

I find these very noisy and though not "too bad" on nice tarmac motorway they are extremely noisy on anything else. Any recommendations ?

I'm looking for an all weather tyre which will be comfy, the least noisy and which will hold on the road pretty well, in particular in the wet.

cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are you working to a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Irish road surfaces are extremely noisy, as they are very rough.

Not much a tyre can do about that.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've had good experiences with both Goodyear Eagle F1's (the asymetric ones most recently) and Vredstein Sportac 3's also.

I do fairly big miles (30k miles a year approx) with a heavy diesel avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

well my budget is tight but since tyres are what keep the car on the road I am looking for the best quality at a reasonable price - I'd like to keep it a c€80 / tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Total budget €320 for 4.

Fitting €60 for 4 in most places.
    4 Falken ZE912 delivered and fitted for €360
    4 Kumho Ecsta Sports delivered and fitted for €388

If you changed to 215/45 it'll be cheaper, you may or may not find them noisier (would be marginal IMO).
    Camskill can do:
    4 Kumho Ecsta Sports delivered and fitted for €325
    4 Falken ZE912 delivered and fitted for €328
    4 Hancook Evos delivered and fitted for €365

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

no offence lad but you wont get 4 good tyres for that kind of money best ones said so far are uniroyal rain tyre or vredstein , goodyear are expensive and the eagle F1 are not good on wet roads . they arent bad mind just like any other tyre, i have michelin pilot sport 2 and they are excellent but also quite expensive , avoid kumho or nankang lethal in wet

heard good things about these
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s304p12391

and these
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s304p6202

but id go with the vredsteins over falken

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I put 2 of these on the front of my S40 which are the exact same size as on the V50. I don't find them noisy and the grip is pretty good. Have them on now for about 4 months and I am pretty happy with them and will definately put another 2 on the rear when the time comes. Falken seem to be very underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

bazz26 wrote: »

Yup I have Falken 912s on the back of mine same size as yours and find them excellent. They definitely seem to be underrated here.

Thanks you all for your responses. I reviewed them and the various recommendations as well as tyre feedback and decided to go for the Falken FK452, for €308 incl delivery from camskill and all the positive feedback about them I thought they were the best quality I can buy in my budget.

Thanks again and Happy new year :)

PS I ordered my previous tyres from eiretyres and thought the service and price was excellent but even them were more expensive on the same tyre. Still think they 're a good one to keep in mind for tyres. Certainly beats a lot of local tyre dealers price for sure...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

here's a good site with loads of info on tyres...

http://www.tyretest.com/index.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 neverwalkalone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Put a set of Pirelli P6000's on the good ladies' V50 earlier this year. Can't remember what the exact cost was, but sure it was only around €80 a corner from Fast Fit at the Square, Tallaght.

No problems with the tyres so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

I've had various types of tyres over the years and also tried the FK452's, I settled now on Vredestein Hi-Tracs, MUCH quieter than the Falkens and great grip in both wet and dry.

Order these the next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

I had Yokohama and found them good value for money. I have now Bridgestone and don't like them much. They lack grip in occasions even if it's not too wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

MarkR wrote: »
    I've had good experiences with both Goodyear Eagle F1's (the asymetric ones most recently) and Vredstein Sportac 3's also.

I do fairly big miles (30k miles a year approx) with a heavy diesel avensis.

I can second the Eagle F1 asymmetric. Got these fitted to my Volvo recently. reasonably quiet tires and loads of grip.

received my new Falken tyres today and I'm aiming to get them fitted asap.

Can't wait to see the difference...

I'll bear in mind the Vredestein when I need to change them... hope not for a while !!! ;-)

Well I've done quite a few hundred miles now with these Falken and I'm very happy. The noise has come down and I had no problem with the grip in either wet or slippery road surfaces so far - touching wood ;-)

And they look quite nice on the car too - now time will tell how they last in time...

well it's now almost a year since I got these Falken FK452 and can't fault them so far.

First thing first, the noise... well much improved from the continental.
    Then the grip, wet and dry I couldn't fault them. They give me confidence and I've even done the odd emergency stop and no problem to report.
    And even recently in the snow I found them surprisingly good for summer tyres and I made it through home in some tricky slippery conditions, including coming out of an under-ground car park and they got me out.

Although I will be looking for proper winter tyres as it seems we'll need more then previously thought... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I had a set of Cooper Zeon XTC's on my Golf Diesel estate and they treated me very well. I cant fault them on the dry. Possibly not as good on the wet as you could find but I never really pushed the car in those conditions anyway and they didnt let me down. Not good in the snow but I dont think you are looking for tyres that are. I would personally give a lot of consideration to the Cooper range in the future.

Bridgestone ER300 are meant to be quite good also. I was considering them along with the Coopers/Avons (Avon is meant to be the sister company to Cooper).
    I may do again if I get enough cash to put out the investment on dedicated Summer and Winters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 paddysaab

In my experience tyres work differently on different cars. Was very happy with Bridgestone on an old Bluebird years ago so when the time came later to get tyres for the next two cars (Audi & Seat), I naturally went for the same again. You could walk quicker on even damp roads. Found that Uniroyals suited both of them.
    Current car has Firestone TZ200 coming close to indicators and still performing well. (and I know that they are just cheap Bridgestones). I will probably go for the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The Falken 912's are a good all-season tyre, as are Vred Quatrac 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I had 16" Falken FK452s on my Focus most recently. The fronts lasted a wonderful 10,000 miles. :mad: Previosuly I had Goodyear Eagle F1s which did 25,000 and wore perfectly. I got the tracking checked and it was not an issue. I drive a normal car like a normal person. The wheels were OZ SuperTs in the correct size.

To finish I managed to damage one of the alloys and found the whole wheel/tyre thing getting more expensive and irritating than it was worth so I put back the factory 15" OEMS and all new Firestone Firehawks.

The car is frankly a revelation with the original wheels and firestone tyres, handling is superior and fuel consumption is improved, road noise is down and the car is more comfortable.

I don't know why, because I did a good bit of research and the reviews were good but the Falken's I got (from camskill) were vile beyond belief. I suspect it was a defective batch, but I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

davy_b wrote: »
    no offence lad but you wont get 4 good tyres for that kind of money best ones said so far are uniroyal rain tyre or vredstein , goodyear are expensive and the eagle F1 are not good on wet roads . they arent bad mind just like any other tyre, i have michelin pilot sport 2 and they are excellent but also quite expensive , avoid kumho or nankang lethal in wet

heard good things about these
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s304p12391

and these

but id go with the vredsteins over falken
    i used eagle f1's around mondelo during what seemed like the monson season lol....there was nearly a river going down the main straight...i was very impressed with the handling of the car.

and kumho do some very very good tyres..they also do some budget tyres so not all kumho are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

I got these fitted to my MKV golf during the week just across the border outside Enniskillen for 300 euro balanced and fitted for the 4 corners

I find them to be a great tyre

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m62b0s291p52364

Advertisement