Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat acting very strange

Options
  • 29-12-2009 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

our cat tillys now 8-9 months old(lots of threads up about him before lol) we moved to our new home in november and he has since become more of an outdoor cat than an indoor one. we have a nice big garden for him and he has free run of the estate, he loves it.

But last 2 weeks hes been acting v strange, constant moaning and meowing. Always wanting to be rubbed and cuddled and if your not cuddling him he will climb up on your lap and lick you and nuzzle you to get your attention. He is played with a lot, has loads of toys and taken v well care of.

Now hes started the screeching at 3 in the morning, last night for example i went to bed about 12, he was asleep in his bed, 4 am he starts roaring and squawking at our bedroom door, we let him in and he fell asleep on the bed, then at 6 am he is up on the windowstill squaking and meowing and pawing the window.

My partner thinks something could have frightened him hence his constant need for attention/to be cuddled, he has never been like this before.

His appitites not the best either latley but caught him eating a mouse in the garden last week so hes obviously been hunting outside, but can anyone shed some light on why hes moaning and constantly needs to be cuddled.

EDIT- He was in the vets 2 weeks ago getting wormed and microchipped and he was freaking out in there, wouldnt come out of the cat box and hissing at the vet- hes never done that before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Has he been neutered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

sillymoo wrote: »
    Has he been neutered?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

thats really weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'll mind him for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cats can react to a 'Roving Tom' on their home turf very badly. Basically, without you knowing it, there could a big Tom waiting to give your cat a good hiding when he ventures out. Ours (neutered) lost his appetite and had nervous conditions and infections over it. (closed up eyes, general ill health)

It is just one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

If your cat has been acting like this for two weeks since you have been at the vets two weeks ago.....maybe your cat got a bit traumatised by the experience....?
    Maybe you should talk to the vet about the way the cat has been acting.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    If your cat has been acting like this for two weeks since you have been at the vets two weeks ago.....maybe your cat got a bit traumatised by the experience....?
    Maybe you should talk to the vet about the way the cat has been acting.

well the last time he was at the vets he got netured so maybe its just remembering that.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Cats can react to a 'Roving Tom' on their home turf very badly. Basically, without you knowing it, there could a big Tom waiting to give your cat a good hiding when he ventures out. Ours (neutered) lost his appetite and had nervous conditions and infections over it. (closed up eyes, general ill health)

It is just one of those things.

dont think its that because normally hes screeches to go out- he hates being inside. thing is he has no concept of 4am being time to sleep not go outside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

My cats don't likethe vets either as they know it means they will be getting a thermometer up the bum and no doubt some form of injection.

Plus I'm sure they remember the fact alot of their siblings/friend cats went into the vets and well didn't come back alive :(

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    My cats don't likethe vets either as they know it means they will be getting a thermometer up the bum and no doubt some form of injection.

Plus I'm sure they remember the fact alot of their siblings/friend cats went into the vets and well didn't come back alive :(

he has been to the vets at least 8 times since we got him for shots, boosters, nail clippings, worming/fleaing etc and its only the last time 2 weeks ago that he freaked on me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

he has been to the vets at least 8 times since we got him for shots, boosters, nail clippings, worming/fleaing etc and its only the last time 2 weeks ago that he freaked on me

It could be something small that happened at the vet that's freaked him out. Our eldest dog loved going to the vet for 9 years during which time she was spayed, had teeth cleaned, nails clipped and shots (including kennel cough) - then last year she had her temperature taken for the first time. The look of shocked indignation on her face will forever remain with me. Since then she hates going to the vet and has changed from a dog who rushed through the vet's door with tail wagging into one who is dragged reluctantly through said door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Regarding waking up at 3am/4am, I had the same issue with my Cat when I got him first. He would fall asleep on the bed but then about 3am he would go crazy to get out. I thought I might "break" this by keeping him in and sticking it out, but it didn't pan out like that. Now I just leave him outside when I go to bed. He has a cozy spot underneath the decking in my back garden. He's been doing that for almost 8 years now and it's done neither of us any harm.

I remember when he was younger, he went through a phase of wanting lots and lots of attention. I couldn't go anywhere and he'd follow me. I don't think there is anything wrong with your cat :)

Advertisement