Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another book recommendation thread!

Options
  • 29-12-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to stock up my book reader, so would like some recommendations.

I like Michael Connelly and John Connolly, but really don't enjoy the likes of James Patterson, Karin Slaughter, Lee Child and James Lee Burke who get recommended. I will probably get some more Ian Rankin and Steig Larsson novels. Does anyone know what the Inspector Alan Banks books from Peter Robinson are like?

I'm also trying to read some sci-fi, but I find the really science focussed ones hard going. I started the The Night's Dawn Trilogy, but it's hard work. I liked the Player of Games, Ender's Game, Altered Carbon a lot, so stuff along those lines would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Really? Not a Lee Child fan? Hm. How about the Dexter books by Jeff Lindsay? If you watched the TV show, the first book is similar to the first season, but different enough to merit reading. The others go on a different tangent. The third is a bit dodgy, but the others are well worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks - I read the first three Dexter books, they're very good. I didn't know there was another one out, so that's on my list now.

I find the Lee Child books very formulaic, and Reacher is just too super-awesome at this stage. I prefer a more flawed hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Off the top of my head try Simon Kernick, read two of his books in no time. I'll try think of more.

I'll disagree with Child and Reacher but that's a whole other argument!

Off the top of my head try Simon Kernick, read two of his books in no time. I'll try think of more.

Ta, will give him a go.
    I'll disagree with Child and Reacher but that's a whole other argument!

Yep, that's for another thread - I've read a few of the books and my mind won't be changed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

If you're into sci-fi, then pick up anything by Isaac Asimov. You'll not be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    If you're into sci-fi, then pick up anything by Isaac Asimov. You'll not be disappointed.

Well, I mean I want to get into it. So stuff that's accessible for newbies would be good. More futuristic thriller than heavy on the science, if you know what I mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

eoin wrote: »
    Well, I mean I want to get into it. So stuff that's accessible for newbies would be good. More futuristic thriller than heavy on the science, if you know what I mean.

Aye, yes I do. Asimov wrote loads and loads of great short stories (Many of which are films today) Try out the 'I, Robot' series, (Yes, its a hollywood blockbuster but that is only because they are well regarded as among Asimov's greatest works) If you really get into that, try out the 'Foundation' series or the Positronic Man. Really good sci fi.

I haven't read any of this since I was about 14. I must look for my old Asimov books when I get some more free reading time...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

I agree with the Simon Kernick nod. John Hart is another I'd recommend - think he has 3 out in paperback : The King Of Lies, The Last Child & Down River. Greg Iles.

Advertisement