Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Scholarships

• 29-12-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey

Thinking about going to go to UL next year and just wondering how you go about applying for sports scholarships in the university and what criteria is needed to gain one. How talented do you need to be to achieve one?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mick157

cickimc wrote: »
    Hey

Thinking about going to go to UL next year and just wondering how you go about applying for sports scholarships in the university and what criteria is needed to gain one. How talented do you need to be to achieve one?

thanks

GAA players who represent their county and are from a munster county get a bursery of 500 euro. Athletes as in middle distance dont get a penny even the international ones. I think there may be a sprinter coached by Drew Harrison head of sports science who may get something. If you want a sports grant DCU is the best place to go or even NUI Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

With due respect to those who organise and award the scholarships, in general they tend to be far too secretive about them (and I say that more as someone who would be interested in reporting on these issues for one of the local newspapers in designated space I typically have to report on UL news rather than as a former member of UL's marketing committee, the details of which are obviously private to the university). One would think that UL's marketing department are a bit miffed that there's no comprehensive list of the scholarships available. They probably are miffed about it. I'm not sure the sports department even have a comprehensive list - if they have, one hasn't been published. There's a short list of some of them somewhere if someone can find it.

With the above problems in mind, it might be best if you posted what your core sport is as someone might know about that one in particular. UL as an organisation have been plain incompetent at collating, publishing and publicising the available sports scholarships. I don't know if there are even a greater number available than there were when I started - had there been anything available for track and field I would have been interested at the time as someone who once upon a time would have had international aspirations in that area but I fear it's still as bad as mick157 mentioned.

There are some though, and if you mention which sport someone will have information (probably, hopefully). So what sport then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

mick157 wrote: »
    GAA players who represent their county and are from a munster county get a bursery of 500 euro. Athletes as in middle distance dont get a penny even the international ones. I think there may be a sprinter coached by Drew Harrison head of sports science who may get something. If you want a sports grant DCU is the best place to go or even NUI Cork.

International athletes in this country don't get a penny from anywhere but UCC do seem to give out grants like lollypops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Email neasa.odonnell@ul.ie for info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I don't think the sports department have a full list either Derek. Yes, I know how nuts that seems. I'm correctable on this as the status quo but I know in the recent past they didn't.

• Advertisement

A lot of scholarships aren't based on the UL side, but on a club side, with a club (like Shannon RFC for example) awarding scholarships to their best academy players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cickimc

O its athletics by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

From what I knew from my time in clubs and socs and athletics. There are no Sport Scholarship whatsoever! Any monies given to players/athletes is not from the college, but from external sources through the various clubs or socs...such as Sponsors, GAA or IRFU etc!!!
    i.e. the only thing that will get you into UL is your CAO points...not your sporting achievements (i'm aware its probably different at other colleges. I think UCD give soccer scholarships for their league of ireland team)

There is a loose list of all funding sources here. Whitey is correct on the UL not providing scholarships for sports though.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Admissions/New_Student_Guide/Financial_Aid_-_Grants,_Scholarships_and_Prizes

Advertisement