Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 125cc too puny for commuting?

• 29-12-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi,

looking to get my first bike.

Was looking at 250+ but with money being tight I am tempted by a 125.

Is this too small for getting around Dublin and the occasional trip to neighbouring counties?

Is a 125cc too puny for commuting? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    44% 11 votes
    Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians.
    56% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I picked the lesbians option. :D

On the topic of the bike, a 125 is fine if you're not doing any mad milage.

Around town they are perfect, nice and light and easy on fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Nothing wrong with a 125 for scooting about, did a few months couriering on a Honda 70 in the 80's! Just change the oil regularly, on a CG 125 I use to change the oil every 1,200 miles and she was running sweetly for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

125 is fine in Dublin if you don't have any long motorway journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Certainly not, you'll be fine.
    Just not ideal if you're taking long spins on the M1 or M7 but even then it's ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Yep, absolutely perfect. Just avoid the motorways(the old roads are still there, and usually more fun anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I started off on a Yamaha Majesty 125 and it was great for getting around town and also beating the 50cc's away from the lights.
    I ended up getting a 250 Majesty as I needed to do some motorway driving and the 125 just wasn't up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

frankly i'd say get a 250. you hear a ridiculous amount of people saying how sick they are of the limited power in a 125. a few bikes to consider that you can pick up cheaply:

bandit 250
    cb 250
    hornet 250 (not too cheap)
    bros 400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A 250 is ideal, a 125 is grand for around town, but once you get out on any national road, you'll wish you had a 250. Forget about motorways on a 125. I'm assuming you're going for a bog standard 125 (maurader, van-van, virago etc) instead of some high tuned RS 125?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

I loved my little 125 when i started, it was a brand new suzuki gn125 & it rocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Thanks for all the advise lads!
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're going for a bog standard 125 (maurader, van-van, virago etc) instead of some high tuned RS 125?

Yeah, I was thinking of a cruiser or more traditional style, not a "crotch rocket" race bike.

Think I found what I'm looking for in the Hyosung GV250

http://www.hyosung.co.uk/detail.php?id=24

medium.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

What about a Virago 250 or a Marauder 250. They'd be more reliable than a Hyosung

KamiKazi wrote: »
    What about a Virago 250 or a Marauder 250. They'd be more reliable than a Hyosung

Agreed, but neither are listed as being available on their European websites any more.

In fact nobody seems to make a sub 600 cruiser anymore...

I looked at second hand prices for them, very little saving.

Hyosung have made Suzuki's engines for 30 years so I'm not worried about the engine, the chrome and body have been known to rust on previous models though!

fleet wrote: »
    Agreed, but neither are listed as being available on their European websites any more.

In fact nobody seems to make a sub 600 cruiser anymore...

I looked at second hand prices for them, very little saving.

Hyosung have made Suzuki's engines for 30 years so I'm not worried about the engine, the chrome and body have been known to rust on previous models though!

Didn't realise you were buying new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I started out on a Virago 125. Yamaha dont make them anymore but have a Dragstar range. Nicer bike to look at and the engine is slightly better tuned.

125 was grand for getting around the city. The odd day Id be on the M50 and could only get upto about 50mph on average. In windy conditions less. But city driving was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Not to neighbouring counties- unless its a sports 125! I voted no for that reason!

Not to neighbouring counties- unless its a sports 125! I voted no for that reason!
    Is a 125cc too puny for commuting?

:D

Kewl.

Gonna save for the Hyousung and consider my options until April/May.

Advertisement