Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E63 v Blackberry

• 29-12-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Im looking to upgrade my phone and am looking for something i can have my work email on.
    I was using a Blackberry up until August in another job and thought it was great but had to give it back when i finished up with them.
    Im due an upgrade with my current provider and i was looking at either a Nokia E63 (costs €10 to upgrade) or a Blackberry Curve 8520 (costs €60 to upgrade)
    Obviously id rather only pay the €10 if i can get away with it but i dont want to sacrifice functionality. Has anyone any experience with the E63 - does it perform as well as a Blackberry? Could i use it as an email handset with instantaneous (sp) messaging?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I have an E63 and find it ok to use, I have never used a blackberry so I cannot compare.
    I use most of the features on it and have downloaded some extra stuff as well such as fring for msn,skype etc. find the email ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Thanks Mike.

Im not too technically minded so apologies if this sounds stupid. The blackberry email function was on 24/7 so if someone sent me an email i would get it straight to the handset and it would beep to let me know i received an email. i could then reply / forward straight away.

Is the E63 the same or do you have to go in and manually download your emails?

I have a Tocco at the moment and if i want to check an email i have to go into messages and manually download the emails which is a pain in the ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nokia have an app called 'messaging' which acts like push email. You can set it to check whenever you want like every hour, or every day etc or on all the time.

Info on the app here: http://email.nokia.com/account/home.action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Davy wrote: »
    Nokia have an app called 'messaging' which acts like push email. You can set it to check whenever you want like every hour, or every day etc or on all the time.

Info on the app here: http://email.nokia.com/account/home.action

Downloaded it on a 5800 and its works brill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone used an E63, are they good phones in general. I like the Samsung Tocco i currently have so im a bit reluctant to give it up, but i do need the push email function for work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

hi, I have an E71 for the last year which is very similar to the e63. In the messaging folder you can set up all your email addresses. You can configure 2 of them to automatic retrieval every half an hour. I have my Eircom email setup to check for new emails every half an hour between 8am & 11pm every day. The phone beeps when new emails arrive. This costs nothing except the data charge on your network, its €9 a month on meteor for me for internet & email. I would go for the E71 ahead of the e63 as it has built in gps & with garmin xt running on it, works brilliant, but this might be too expensive as my upgrade to a new E71 last week cost €130. I'm using the E71 to write this using the opera mini browser which makes internet use very fast even on a 2g network. I haven't used a blackberry before so can't comment on the differences but I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Rob113 wrote: »
    Thanks Mike.

Im not too technically minded so apologies if this sounds stupid. The blackberry email function was on 24/7 so if someone sent me an email i would get it straight to the handset and it would beep to let me know i received an email. i could then reply / forward straight away.

Is the E63 the same or do you have to go in and manually download your emails?

I have a Tocco at the moment and if i want to check an email i have to go into messages and manually download the emails which is a pain in the ass!

What Davy said in his post id just the thing for you...I do all mine manually cause I tend to be stuck at a laptop all the time, you can set up a message alert tone also similar to texts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

I have BB curve 8520 but cant comment on the Nokia

Yes the push email is great, also it has some lovely apps (particularly business ones like bloomerg if you need) but also facebook etc.

One useful feature of the email is that it will thread all emails from multiple accounts if you like onto one screen or list, although you can also go into email accounts separately if you prefer.

The browers isnt great but that can be sorted by downloading Opera Mini.

The optical trackpad is very slick, navigation is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got an E63 recently after deciding it offered better value than the E71.

I find it very good. First thing I did was update it to the latest firmware and debrand the software. It flies along.. email is good (I use it for my hotmail accounts) and the full QWERTY keyboard is something you'll get used to very quickly.

To put it in context, I moved from a 5800 as I'm just not convinced on the whole touchscreen thing - particularly for email/texting.

I do get bored with phones quickly though so already eyeing up new ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I just got on on bill from '3' for a Euro so sounds good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement