Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this good deal on canon 450d?

• 29-12-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Buying my first dslr was looking at this bundle from jessops online i would be mostly shooting aircraft at airports,sports and landscape is it good price and bundle

Canon eos 450d
    17-85+70-300mm IS twin lens kit
    +free lowepro altus 140 gadget bag
    £899/e995
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75439/show.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Rb wrote: »
    yes

Really?? I got a refurbished one off ebay (its like brand new), with a 18-55 lens, bag and a load of other ****e. €536 it worked out at. I ordered a 300 lens today (dunno what make) think its about €120. I know its not new brand name top of the line stuff but it will get me started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I suppose it comes down to what you define as being a "good deal".

Personally I see it as being the "good value for money", which the above package represents as far as I'm concerned.

The 17-85mm IS USM Canon lens is a fantastic kit lens, usually stocked with the 40d and 50d while the 450d, 500d, 400d and previously the 350d and 300d (I think) were left with the 18-55mm IS lens (non IS for the latter two/three) which, while being an ok starting lens, is suitable for just that i.e only starting out. The 17-85mm will hold its value for a while and won't be left out of the kit bag quite so quickly, it's a lovely little walk around lens while the 18-55mm is slow, plastic and rather soft in comparison. BUT, it is a cheap lens and one has to remember that when judging it. The 17-85mm comes about 2-4x the price of the 18-55mm.

I would guess you've ordered the 70-300mm Sigma lens? Sounds about right judging from the price, not a bad little lens but again doesn't compare with the Canon version.

One thing to note is that brands such as Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc manufacture lenses cheaper and are, for the most part, way below the "branded" lenses quality. A good example would be the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 which retails around $600, available for Canon, Nikon, Sigma etc. cameras. Canon have an astounding 24-70 f2.8 lens which is double the price, but by all accounts more than double the quality.

Some exceptions that come to mind are the Sigma 10-20mm, which is said to be near on par with the Canon 10-22mm lens and I believe there's a few really good Tokina lenses also. As I said, these brands will manufacture lenses similar to the "branded" lenses, but sell for a fraction of the price, the drop in price is usually met with a drop in quality.

So while the Sigma lens is good, the Canon lens (of which the Sigma is supposed to be a replica iirc) is going to be suprior in quality, yet will (and does) retail at a significantly different price. Best advice that most will echo here is to stick with the big brands where possible and read up on reviews before buying third party lenses.

Anyway, I've sort of side tracked. For just shy of a grand he's getting a new body, one really good walkabout lens that he should stick to for quite a while, a good quality superzoom that should hold it's value should he decide to upgrade in a few months, a good bag and most importantly (since he's looking for a "good deal") a very reliable retailer with a really good reputation throughout Ireland and the UK who he can drive up to should he have an issue, something that you just can't get when buying from an online retailer with no premises anywhere nearby.

So yeah, for the money involved I think it's a good deal. The two lenses, new, alone cost close to $1k by themselves.

Again though, it really depends on what you define as a good deal. If you see it as being as many items at the lowest price, then so be it, opinions differ! Just fwiw, I bought my 450D through amazon and got the 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm and 50mm f1.8 lens back in April or so, so I'm definitely not trying to knock buying online, in fact I love Amazon and will shop there whenever I can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 deekme

i got the 450d in sam mcauley pharmacy reduced to 680 euro and then got another 130 euro of it in vouchers but that was ok cause the wife was getting more than that of stuff for xmas presents.
    so that was 550 euro for the 450d with the 18-55 is lens kit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

deekme wrote: »
    i got the 450d in sam mcauley pharmacy reduced to 680 euro and then got another 130 euro of it in vouchers but that was ok cause the wife was getting more than that of stuff for xmas presents.
    so that was 550 euro for the 450d with the 18-55 is lens kit..

Argos, (of all shops) also have this kit at the moment for €599

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Qantas

Been thinking about it and just gona bite the bullet:)and go for it,price seems to be the best around and only found mostly good reviews on the lenses looking forward to getting started into DSLR, thanks for the replys

Advertisement