Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most reliable broadband provider

• 29-12-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone can help. I get my broadband through utv internet. The trouble is that lately the internet has been going down. The phone line is still active but the internet light on my modem goes red. This leads me to believe that the problem is with the provider - utv - rather than a line problem. I want to replace utv internet but I am not sure who to replace them with. I looked up and found that vodafone internet was the cheapest but I found nothing on reliability. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you use phone line, mostly the Internet is provided by eircom reselling it to UTV or Vodafone (or whatever company).

Real alternatives are UPC (cable, TV is optional) or Digiweb (Metro Service).

You need to contact UTV otherwise they can't complain to eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭amadain17

watty wrote: »
    If you use phone line, mostly the Internet is provided by eircom reselling it to UTV or Vodafone (or whatever company).

Real alternatives are UPC (cable, TV is optional) or Digiweb (Metro Service).

You need to contact UTV otherwise they can't complain to eircom.

Don't the other providers have switches in the core network? My neighbour has perlico and it was not down when our line was down. Utv has gone down 3 times this month alone.

A

your lines are separate to the exchange gear. Unless all UTV users down, the problem was eircom line. No UTV gear in exchange. If there is no DSL link then an eircom fault. If an DSL link but no Internet, then a UTV fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I got moved from BT to Vodafone about 3 weeks ago, have the most terrible connection ever since, currently using mobile broadband as the vodafone fixed line isn't working all day. server issue in dublin by all accounts, well that'll be the 21st straight day in a row with some issue or another... Vodafone avoid at all costs, it's dirt.. thread on it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055738410

watty wrote: »
    your lines are separate to the exchange gear. Unless all UTV users down, the problem was eircom line. No UTV gear in exchange. If there is no DSL link then an eircom fault. If an DSL link but no Internet, then a UTV fault.

On my linksys modem the internet light goes red but the dsl light remains green. This means it's a UTV fault. This is what happened each of 3 times this month. No way to contact UTV customer service.

• Advertisement

amadain17 wrote: »
    On my linksys modem the internet light goes red but the dsl light remains green. This means it's a UTV fault. This is what happened each of 3 times this month. No way to contact UTV customer service.

Yes. That does sound like UTV, though loss of eircom gear between UTV and the DSLAM feeding your line could be responsible.

However they are legally obliged to have a customer service. Why can't you contact them? I've never used UTV, but I have friends that speak highly of them.

You need to contact UTV, in case it is an eircom switch or backhaul issue.

internet went down again yesterday (new years eve - from about 5pm onwards). Again dsl up but internet down. Phoned utvcustomer service and got an automated message listing the days that customer service would not be available over the christmas and new years holidays. Funny thing is that new years eve was not mentioned in the message even though utv customer service was clearly not available (no options - just the message). I repeat my first message - can anybody recommend a dependable reliable internet provider? If there is a problem i want to be able to talk to someone or report the problem at least. utv is terrible. This is also a warning to anyone thinking of using them - stay well clear. If people stop going to them because of the lousy service they provide they will have to improve or die. So. Any recommendations of a reliable carrier with customer service?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thestranger

I am with digiweb and they have been down twice this week so I could not recommend their service to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IrelandOffline > Broadband

Advertisement