Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using laptop to access Wifi

• 29-12-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all
    Happy Xmas & new year.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this query but here goes.
    I recently set up my fathers Belkin Wireless Router.
    I wired his laptop into the router via ethernet cable, went to the routers admin page and set up security and SSID along with a passkey. When saved, I unplugged his laptop from the router and restarted the laptop. at this point I was able to use his laptop and other laptops to connect to the internet via the wireless netowrk. However, I realised that the passkey was probably too short/simple so I wired his laptop back in and changed it. I was then able to change the passkey on another laptop and connect to the internet via the Wireless network. However no matter what I try, I cannot connect via Wifi using his laptop (but I can when plugged in with the Ethernet cable). I try saving the new passkey to the properties of the connection associated with the SSID on his laptop, but it does not save. Is there any simple way around this? Hes using Windows Vista.
    The other laptops in the house are able to use the wifi network without difficulty.

Many thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Cormb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

delete the connection setting and then when ya search for wireless networks ya will be able to enter the passkey

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cormb

Hello Guil
    Thanks for the update.
    Could you advise on where to find this connections setting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

go to control panel and click on network and sharing, on the top left ya should see manage connections, right click on the connection and click delete, set it up again and it should be ok

Hi
    Many thanks for that - I'll give that a try.
    regards
    Corm

Hi
    On my fathers laptop, under Control Panel -> Network and sharing, I see the option 'Manage Wireless networks' - I clear the network from here.
    When I try to connect to the network via Wireless, I still get the error that "Windows cannot connect" to the network and the reason given is that the network security key is incorrect.
    However when I try to connect to the network manually from a different laptop it works fine.
    Even trying to add the correct parameters under 'Manage Wireless networks' does not work on the fathers laptop.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer.
    Corm

• Advertisement

Incidently, when I manually created a new connection under 'Manage Wireless networks', I was able to connect to the wireless network. For some reason it ceased to be able to connect (same "network security key incorrect" error) after running a Bullguard AV scan. Has anyone come across this before?
    Unfortunately manually recreating the wireless connection profile no longer appears to work even after restart of laptop.

It also worked and then stopped working over the weekend after I disabled and re-enabled the Wireless via the Wifi button on the Acer laptop.

Any assistance appreciated.

Advertisement