Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Listening to 4fm on internet radio

• 29-12-2009 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭

As another convert to internet radio (Roberts Streamtime) I notice that 4FM are not listed.
    I checked Reciva and sure enough, they're not there.I tried to add the stream (optimistic probably) but Reciva rejected the stream.

Anyone in 4FM reading this and willing to sort it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

there's a few threads on it, maybe pop them a mail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

you would think there wouldn,t be such barriers to listening to their station,probably the bci,s fault anyway :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I think you'll find that from next year onwards. many radio stations will start broinging back listening to their own web sites and will only offer token low bit rate streams to the Recivas of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

BrianD wrote: »
    I think you'll find that from next year onwards. many radio stations will start bringing back listening to their own web sites and will only offer token low bit rate streams to the Recivas of this world.

What makes you say that?:confused:

JD:)

It makes sense. Wfi radios do offer stations wider availability but quite often that is an audience of no benefit to the station. Listeners in Boston are of new real benefit to a commercial local staton in Ireland and it is questionable whether it is in the remit of a national broadcaster to service listeners abroad even if they are a diaspora.

Furthermore, there are a lot of third parties making money out of radio station metadata (song now playing info) by linking it to iTunes etc. Free to air stations aren't too happy about this. I would also speculate that in the future that station directories such as Reciva or Radio Time will start charging for a station to be listed. This will be an interesting time and a critical turning point for wifi radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

BrianD wrote: »
    It makes sense. Wfi radios do offer stations wider availability but quite often that is an audience of no benefit to the station. Listeners in Boston are of new real benefit to a commercial local staton in Ireland and it is questionable whether it is in the remit of a national broadcaster to service listeners abroad even if they are a diaspora.

Furthermore, there are a lot of third parties making money out of radio station metadata (song now playing info) by linking it to iTunes etc. Free to air stations aren't too happy about this. I would also speculate that in the future that station directories such as Reciva or Radio Time will start charging for a station to be listed. This will be an interesting time and a critical turning point for wifi radio.
    Wifi radios are a growing segment of the market i really dont see see why radio stations would not embrace the technology,while true, radio stations first loyality might be to their local or national area the advancement of internet radio is just to big for radio stations to ignore,even grudgeingly.

decies wrote: »
    Wifi radios are a growing segment of the market i really dont see see why radio stations would not embrace the technology,while true, radio stations first loyality might be to their local or national area the advancement of internet radio is just to big for radio stations to ignore,even grudgeingly.

I agree that they are growing. I suspect that we are in a transition phase. My thoughts are is that people think that they are great as they have access to tens of thousands of stations. The reality is that they probably only listen to a handful and most of those will be local (and relevant) to them and more than likely available on FM (or it's digital replacement).

Advertisement