Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob question - will wii fit plus menu update break modded console?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had a quick look through the threads, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm not sure I'll have enough detail for a proper answer either. :o

Basically I have a first generation Wii which was modded (99% sure with WiiKey) when it came out (2007). I don't know why I bothered really as I've never "backed up" any games.

Anyway, I have the WiiFit Plus now which says that the Wii Menu Update needs to be installed and hardware modification can be detected. Does anyone know if this hardware mod is one that can be detected? My understanding is that that this version just used a backdoor to avoid the copyright checks?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do You have the Homebrew Channel? You can block all online updates with Priiloader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The latest firware does have confirmed reports about disabling wiikey chips. There are some alternatives for you should you not want to perform the update, but I wont be going into them here.

Either way, since you dont have or use "backups", then it shouldnt be a problem to have your wiikey detected & disabled.

Reports suggest that once the formware is rolled back, the wiikey functions again, so its not damaging to the chip - it simply prevents it functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Usually the problem with updating to v4.2 was that it overwrites your boot sector and could render the Wii inoperable if it encounters any errors. This wasn't such a big deal for the legal folks who would get Nintendo to fix their wii for free, but with you having opened the Wii it could be a big deal.

I suggest more research on your part, try over at gbatemp but it would help if you knew how your system was modified.

You could do as Pog suggests and just install a piece of homebrew to disable disc updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I updated my wii via the internet to 4.2E and my wiikey (well im 90% cert its a wiikey, unless i swapped the drive out) is still working. I have softmodded the wii since though so maybe one of the custom ios are helping in that regard :P

I updated my wii via the internet to 4.2E and my wiikey (well im 90% cert its a wiikey, unless i swapped the drive out) is still working. I have softmodded the wii since though so maybe one of the custom ios are helping in that regard :P

Your wii is about as pure as a two buck hooker :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

Thanks for the replies. In the end I just took out the chip and gave it a lash. Thankfully it all works fine (and my one back up will have to go unplayed :))

beecee wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. In the end I just took out the chip and gave it a lash. Thankfully it all works fine (and my one back up will have to go unplayed :))

All's well that ends well. Have you tryed refitting the chip after the update to see if it still functions?

Advertisement