Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Fenton

• 29-12-2009 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Anyone else sick of this guy? Himself on the radio with his fake America husky voice and his bit on the side - Pam. He constantly plays the same dose of music. He's real old crooner.

"What have we got today Pam? One of the greatest artists of all time. It's Bob Dylan. Now we have Oasis, Snow Patrol, The Script, The Waterboys, Paul McCarney, John Lennon, The Beatles, U2, Thin Lizzy, ELO and Michael Jackson"...................etc.

"The greatest music video of all time. What have we got Pam? This guy was just fantastic. It's Michael Jacksons Thriller. The best music video of all time."

Try and be a bit original at least Tony!

"Oh. I nearly forgot. What's on thetelly tonight Pam?"

Well? 35 votes

I love him.
    0%
    I hate him.
    34%
    the_barfly1BadabingTomohawkMr Edjimbozoirish_bobsteve frenchRayMdolliemixDizzy DizkoLana80Bodhisopha 12 votes
    I've never listened to him.
    65%
    jmccbyteAPMNightwishFiretrapwashiskinfricatusTakeTheVeilNofflesAoifeNmoanybrosnadogSlideyEl WeirdoFago!pvt.jokerDiabhal BeagCol200sxbig steThe Express 23 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

YOU'RE THE WINNER!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hate is too harsh a word. I don't like him but I wouldn't say I hate him. His accent is too fake for my liking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I hate him.
    i love phoney fenton on my radio , seriously , i love the guys generic one dimensional style , hes a phoney but hes a real phoney plus hes on at the same time as the awfull rick o shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 big ste

Fenton is GARBAGE,it's like Smashie and Nicey had a one night stand and he is the resulting offspring.

Everything is JUST GREAT in Fentonland,"thats a great song","thats a great movie" etc
    If it's not great,it's a classic.

I cannot bear listening to him,I have to change stations when he's on,couldn't believe ny ears when I heard he'd won an award for the best dj of the year,which begs the question,if he's the best,how bad is the worst ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Utter ****e... so fake it's mind blowing... and surely Pam is a lad...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

well lets face it, he's bareable compared to rick (the boring prick) o'shea or will leahey in the evevning with a does of laura woods each day.

when i haer their voices together i have to fight the urge not to kill myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

stevoman wrote: »
    well lets face it, he's bareable compared to rick (the boring prick) o'shea or will leahey in the evevning with a does of laura woods each day.

when i haer their voices together i have to fight the urge not to kill myself.

Agree.

Fenton is harmless. You would be at a party with him and he'd be goin on in his inimitable style. And while you'd mostly be sayin to yourself "plonker" there would be occasions where you'd have to laugh and say to yourself "jeez, he's not a bad guy afterall".

2fmers are a different kettle of fish. Some of them are beareable like...actually, I can only think of one, and that's Jenny Green. The rest are unbearable. Absolutely unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Anyone else sick of this guy? Himself on the radio with his fake America husky voice and his bit on the side - Pam. He constantly plays the same dose of music. He's real old crooner.

"What have we got today Pam? One of the greatest artists of all time. It's Bob Dylan. Now we have Oasis, Snow Patrol, The Script, The Waterboys, Paul McCarney, John Lennon, The Beatles, U2, Thin Lizzy, ELO and Michael Jackson"...................etc.

"The greatest music video of all time. What have we got Pam? This guy was just fantastic. It's Michael Jacksons Thriller. The best music video of all time."

Try and be a bit original at least Tony!

"Oh. I nearly forgot. What's on thetelly tonight Pam?"

He also keeps playing paolo nutini songs and when it comes to the "wall of sound", its like as if he isn't even listening to what the contestants are saying. On a number of occasions they said that they are into, for example, U2. Then about a minute later Tony will ask the same question he asks everyday at the end of the interview: "So, tom (say), what kind of music do you listen to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

He's a total plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

He's a pain to listen to. All he does is lick arse.

And when he gets more like minded arse-lickers on the Wall of Sound to spout sh1te to each other. It's very cringing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Whats up with tony. He has been off for last two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 big ste

Whats up with tony. He has been off for last two weeks.

Hopefully,(though I don't hold out too much hope) Today FM have realised that he is absolute garbage,and have gotten rid,chances are though he's just on his holliers,which he will bore us to death with when he comes back.

I'm sure wherever he is,it's JUST GREAT.Do us all a favour Fenton,stay there:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

He's pretty bad alright, but ray foley is a lot worse in my opinion...
    I hate the fact that they all sh1te on about getting great ratings, when in reality probably 90% of their listeners have the radio on in the background (or just for the sake of having some ambient noise), and really outside of dublin there are no alternatives when it comes to radio stations.

They all really wreck my head to be honest.
    The only radio dj i can actually listen to is Tom Dunne.

jimzy wrote: »
    He's pretty bad alright, but ray foley is a lot worse in my opinion...
    I hate the fact that they all sh1te on about getting great ratings, when in reality probably 90% of their listeners have the radio on in the background (or just for the sake of having some ambient noise), and really outside of dublin there are no alternatives when it comes to radio stations.

They all really wreck my head to be honest.
    The only radio dj i can actually listen to is Tom Dunne.
    to be fair some good stuff on after six. Paul McCloone has done a very good job replacing Tom Dunne on Pet Sounds and Alison Curtis not bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Yeah must agree with you there bayview, those two are actually not bad!
    But still, fenton and probably more so 'foley the king' are koonts™.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

He's a douche, but he's our douche. He's probably better than most DJs in Ireland.

RichTea wrote: »
    He's a douche, but he's our douche. He's probably better than most DJs in Ireland.
    Its his laugh that really does my head in. but overall he is okay. Do tune in to him on the car quite frequently. Today FM a good station overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Its his laugh that really does my head in. but overall he is okay. Do tune in to him on the car quite frequently. Today FM a good station overall

His laugh is abysmal! Among the worst I've ever heard. He always dabbles in his annoying laughter when he's chatting up whatever woman from Mayo is on the wall of sound that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

RichTea wrote: »
    His laugh is abysmal! Among the worst I've ever heard. He always dabbles in his annoying laughter when he's chatting up whatever woman from Mayo is on the wall of sound that day.

Didn't think he was into that, if you get me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Poll Closed

Nearly 60% hate Tony Fenton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Guys, I think we will leave his sexual orientation out of this, it is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Slidey wrote: »
    Guys, I think we will leave his sexual orientation out of this, it is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

You're the WINNER!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I miss his Wall of Sound, its been replaced with Rock 'n' Roll Roulette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's like listening to the same show 5 days a week. All the same music just in a different order.

Good voice but he's getting stale.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's like listening to the same show 5 days a week. All the same music just in a different order.

Good voice but he's getting stale.

So I am not the only one who noticed this?! I generally listen to the two Rays, then Tony but tbh I am getting fed up listening to the same playlist constantly on Tonys show. If I hear Noah and The Wale one more time I think I will crack up.

Nothing against him personally, but the mix of songs on repeat is annoying. Id switch over to 2fm but tis crap until Leahy is on (IMO). Must try some of the local stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

You're always guaranteed that Tony will play van the man morrisson, he's obsessed with him. Yes the music is very repetitive but so is Darcy, when Darcy likes a song it gets played every single day. As regards Fenton's style, he's a caricature of what a dj used to be. If you copied his chessey mid-atlantic delivery you'd be laughed out of town, Fenton is an anomaly, im not saying i like it, but clearly the powers that be in Today fm do.

Sully wrote: »
    So I am not the only one who noticed this?! I generally listen to the two Rays, then Tony but tbh I am getting fed up listening to the same playlist constantly on Tonys show. If I hear Noah and The Wale one more time I think I will crack up.

Nothing against him personally, but the mix of songs on repeat is annoying. Id switch over to 2fm but tis crap until Leahy is on (IMO). Must try some of the local stations.

Noah and The Whale. Spot on mate.

You can tell when it's going to be on. It'll always be after the 3 or 4pm news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I've said it before, but we should play Tony Fenton bingo here sometime.

Get all his crappy cockney slang words, names of regular favourites, and the guaranteed show starters: New radicals, anything by U2 with a long intro, snow patrol, doves or Bowie (always dedicated to Ian Dempsey).

His other thing is "That was Norah Jones there with blah blah - Norah dropped by the studios, ooh, it must be, ooh, twenty five and a half years ago now. If you want to hear the interview in full, just go to todayfm.com/tony"

(repeat for every artist you play that you have ever interviewed)

Every time Bruce Springsteen is included in the "Rock and roll roulette" segment, down your drink. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Tony Fentons greatest accomplishment is that he is not Rick O'Shea... He's not great I'll admit, but the 14:30 to 16:30 slot is a tough gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Deedsie wrote: »
    Tony Fentons greatest accomplishment is that he is not Rick O'Shea... He's not great I'll admit, but the 14:30 to 16:30 slot is a tough gig.

not being rick o shea alone makes tony special to some of us

heybaby wrote: »
    You're always guaranteed that Tony will play van the man morrisson, he's obsessed with him.

You could say the same thing about the Kings of Leon - not a day goes by that he doesn't play at least one of their songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Kojak wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about the Kings of Leon - not a day goes by that he doesn't play at least one of their songs.

He really does have a set playlist. Same songs day in day out for about a month. Then he might add a few and take out a few.

For the past couple of months he kept playing this song every day by Amy Winehouses goddaughter. I can't remember the song or even the artists name because he keeps referring to her as "Amy Winehouses little godchild"

He really does have a set playlist. Same songs day in day out for about a month. Then he might add a few and take out a few.

For the past couple of months he kept playing this song every day by Amy Winehouses goddaughter. I can't remember the song or even the artists name because he keeps referring to her as "Amy Winehouses little godchild"

is it that Jessie J you are on about?

Kojak wrote: »
    is it that Jessie J you are on about?

No, he did go through the JJ phase as well, about a month before he interviewed her and a few weeks after.

Wino's godchild is called Dionne Bromfield - Fenton has been playing her song every day, usually sandwiched between Adele and Jonah and the whale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

No, he did go through the JJ phase as well, about a month before he interviewed her and a few weeks after.

Wino's godchild is called Dionne Bromfield - Fenton has been playing her song every day, usually sandwiched between Adele and Jonah and the whale.

Just great :D

NOAH AND THE POXY WHALE!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Don't like they guy. Met him in a pub about 18 years ago while i was at the bar waiting to get served. I started small chat having not got a clue who he was. He was as ignorant as f***. Then 20 mins later I heard tony fenton come on as DJ and it was him...i thought..what a knoB..fake as f**k

He still annoys me today with his fakeness.....one of the best movies of all time,one of the best bands of all time...how many best movies and bands can their be Tony???? Your finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

I had to laugh one time when he unilaterally conferred city status upon Tullamore. The phrase "the town" was what was required . . . instead T. Fenton went ahead and labelled it as, "the city" (and not in an ironic way!).

That_Guy wrote: »
    NOAH AND THE POXY WHALE!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh right.
    I find their music that bland and indifferent that it doesn't bother me getting their name wrong.

• Advertisement

Oh right.
    I find their music that bland and indifferent that it doesn't bother me getting their name wrong.

Not directed at you at all mate. I was posting that at the time when one of their songs came on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest, I used to like him.

I had never heard of him until about 2yrs ago, and his choice of music was right up my street. No-one else was playing the likes of AC/DC, Springsteen, Petty, Dylan etc. So I listened to him any day I was off work.

However, I have found myself beginning to really dislike him now:o

I think that a lot of the things people say about him have struck me as being true i.e. his fake accent, trying to be like a Mikey & Smashy DJ, friend to the stars etc etc.

Plus I seen a photo of him recently and could not believe his age. He is fast becoming the new Larry Gogan, trying to stay hip with all the youngsters.

And his choice of music is starting to drift towards the norm making his show just like many of the others out there. He seems to be obsessed with whoever is the current hot topic. Its lately been Lady Gaga, or Adele. Sweet Jesus does he ever shut up about Adele? Or the one that really grates on me is that James Vincent McMorrow - you'd think the way TF rants on about him he was his agent.

And the final nail in the coffin for me is his repitition. He says every line at least twice. Listen to him to see what I mean.

Looks like I'm gonna have to find myself another daytime show.

New Bingo phrase:

"The hairy eyeball"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Think he is probably the best of the lot music wise, foley puts on a lot of ha ha I remember that songs but Tony has a really solid playlist everyday. Always a mix of the charts and the classics.

If you can't see why Lady Gaga and Adele are heavily featured then let me spell it out. They are the biggest selling artists around at the minute, not playing/slating them at 4 in the afternoon is a good way to lose listeners and lets not forget he is on the radio because its his job. If he loses his listeners it won't be his job for much longer. If you think that a radio DJ has complete creative control over their playlist then you are really really naive.

Il give ye the accent is kinda silly and he comes out with some cheesy lines but he is in no way deserving of the hate he is getting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

mackg wrote: »
    Think he is probably the best of the lot music wise, foley puts on a lot of ha ha I remember that songs but Tony has a really solid playlist everyday. Always a mix of the charts and the classics.

If you can't see why Lady Gaga and Adele are heavily featured then let me spell it out. They are the biggest selling artists around at the minute, not playing/slating them at 4 in the afternoon is a good way to lose listeners and lets not forget he is on the radio because its his job. If he loses his listeners it won't be his job for much longer. If you think that a radio DJ has complete creative control over their playlist then you are really really naive.

Il give ye the accent is kinda silly and he comes out with some cheesy lines but he is in no way deserving of the hate he is getting here.

I do still listen to him, I must add.

Haven't given up on him yet.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

He's so fake..and he talks total shi**

He's a brutal dj

He repeats the same music day in day out

He deserves everything he gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I haven't listened to him in years. Does he still call Snow Patrol 'the snowies'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

He's so fake..and he talks total shi**

He's a brutal dj

He repeats the same music day in day out

He deserves everything he gets

bryangiggsy? fake? brave card to play.

As i previously said in reality he does what he can to play decent music, same with ian dempsey I would say more than likely they submit playlists for approval before the show. I remember Dempsey playing the doors before not sure which track but it was a short one and commenting afterwards "that was the doors with **** and I can actually play it cause its only 4 minutes long". He has very little wiggle room to play what he wants.

Why do you think he got into this? He obviously loves music. He probably knows more about it then either of us. You really think what he plays on the show are the songs he would be listening to if he were at home?

I have spent enough time defending him now. Again although not perfect pretty close to as good as we have got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

bryangiggsy? fake? brave card to play.

As i previously said in reality he does what he can to play decent music, same with ian dempsey I would say more than likely they submit playlists for approval before the show. I remember Dempsey playing the doors before not sure which track but it was a short one and commenting afterwards "that was the doors with **** and I can actually play it cause its only 4 minutes long". He has very little wiggle room to play what he wants.

Why do you think he got into this? He obviously loves music. He probably knows more about it then either of us. You really think what he plays on the show are the songs he would be listening to if he were at home?

I have spent enough time defending him now. Again although not perfect pretty close to as good as we have got.

Yeah, he does listen to the same music. He has often mentioned that he has that CD in his car at the moment etc.

Anyway, I don't like getting personal about them. I'd bet that TF chooses his own music though. Dempsey is playlisted - he often mentions it. Darcy isn't playlisted - he often mentions picking his music the night before, and Fenton plays his own taste in music, or maybe he has a small playlist with plenty of room for his additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

While i dont hate him and i wish him well in his recovery, i can only listen to him for a very short time and get bored and put on a CD or plug in the ipod.

His fake 'you go girl' US teenage accent is ridiculous to say the least and I'm still waiting for him to slip up and pronounce Tune as 'choon' and not toon!

His attempts at rhyming slang drive me nuts where you can almost hear his little brain churing as he tries to finish sentences with cockney slang.

His daily downloads are generally rubbish and in a lot of cases from bands/singers that the listenship will have never heard off and so only appeal to a small minority.

Everything, be it a town, place, song, film or whatever is his favourite and he ends every sentence in which he says how much he loves something with 'i really do' or 'it really is' Well tony, you are really fake...'you really are'

I firmly believe that he has absolutely no interest in football but reads up on players/games etc etc so as to pretend he has (maybe thats just because nothing he says seems genuine and everything is played up)

As for pam, her laugh is sooooooo freekin annoying....!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement