Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Fenton

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Tony just said 'blips' instead of euros. I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Have to laugh at Tony.

Foley and Cooper are doing OBs from the Electric Picnic today. Tony obviously couldn't do it too for whatever reasons.
    So, he's there (going by sound quality and the general run of the show) but just not mentioning it.

He done the same for a week last year, when he broadcasted from Austria (went there with Ian Dempseys show) but again never mentioned it on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

always liked tony , hes a carricature but the role of a DJ is one which is suited to this IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sophie2011

Tony started his radio career back in the lates 70's and his big break was on Sunshine Radio (539 mw in those days). He has been around a long time and deserves credit for that. He is genuinely passionate about what he does. If he was not - he would not have done it for 30+ years.
    He does play up the DJ thing but why not. I think we have all got too used to very flat Dublin accents or strong country ones on the radio that we find it strange to hear a mid atlantic accent. Have a listen to the majority of RTE sports announcers or the very Dub FM 104 presenters. That deserves a thread in itself about accents. You may say they are natural but hey this is entertainment and people like to be entertained. It would be a shame if irish radio and television was completely overrun with sterotypical accents because programme controllers think that's what people want to hear.
    Anyway back on track, keep up the good work Tony and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I still listen to TF most days if I can, but I have started to notice just how much he repeats lines, especially around prizes or music news stories.

Anyone else notice this?

His show could be cut in half if he only said each line once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I like his show on Today FM. He plays some really good new tunes, it is obvious which ones he can choose to play himself, and which ones are the tunes that pay the bills. He gets the mix of classics and good new songs just right. I know his accent is a bit silly, but, crucially, I think he knows it and doesn't take himself too seriously. I find his patter tolerable, sometimes funny. The story of his recovery from illness has been a good news story in an otherwise gloomy year, I was genuinely happy to hear him back on the radio a few weeks ago. In case anyone thinks I am a shill for Today FM, go over to the Ray Darcy thread and check out how many red cards I have picked up for borderline libelous attacks on the little man with the very high opinion of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see in his bankruptcy court case that his real name is Anthony Fagan.

Why exactly would someone like Tony Fenton need a stage name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see in his bankruptcy court case that his real name is Anthony Fagan.

Why exactly would someone like Tony Fenton need a stage name?

It's because way back when "independent" radio was unlicensed here, some Dj's used pseudo names and many, like Tony, had built a career on those names. Not everybody did it and some reverted to their real names when they started in legal radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Is Tony bankrupt? God, the poor guy. He was on Matt Cooper a few weeks ago talking about prostrate cancer and he came across as a really down to earth, decent guy.

I've always liked him and he's exactly the same now as he was back in the days of the Hotline on 2FM! I suppose it's a love him or hate him kind of thing but I wish him well.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    Is Tony bankrupt? God, the poor guy. He was on Matt Cooper a few weeks ago talking about prostrate cancer and he came across as a really down to earth, decent guy.

I've always liked him and he's exactly the same now as he was back in the days of the Hotline on 2FM! I suppose it's a love him or hate him kind of thing but I wish him well.

He is unfortunately. I'm not a fan of his style anymore but the has had an awful year.

His mother passed away, he found a malignant melanoma on his leg, got that sorted, then found out about the prostate cancer. Now this. Hopefully that will be the end of his bad run.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1108/1224307208434.html
    WELL-KNOWN disc jockey Tony Fenton was declared a bankrupt at the High Court yesterday following a petition taken against him by the Revenue Commissioners.

The Today FM presenter, whose real name is Anthony Fagan, owed a debt of almost €900,000 for unpaid tax liabilities, including interest and penalties, the High Court heard.

During the brief hearing at the Four Courts yesterday morning, Gary Compton, instructed by Matheson Ormsby Prentice on behalf of the Revenue Commissioners, told the court that three judgments were secured last year against Mr Fenton for the taxes he owed.

These had not been paid and the Revenue had petitioned the court to make Mr Fenton bankrupt when he failed to clear the debts.

The judgments came to just over €770,000, but with accumulated interest the sum owed yesterday was €879,695.

The Revenue also registered a judgment mortgage against Mr Fenton’s south Dublin home at Merrion Woods, Stillorgan Road, Blackrock, which is also the subject of a bank mortgage.

Legal documents stated Mr Fenton was working at the Today FM offices, at Digges Lane, Dublin, when he was served with the petition by the Revenue Commissioners on October 28th last.

Representing Mr Fenton, solicitor St John Dundon, of Dundon Callanan Solicitors, told Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne his client would not be contesting the petition.

Ms Justice Dunne then formally declared Mr Fenton a bankrupt.

Although he was not present in court, he was required to attend at the Office of the Official Assignee in Smithfield yesterday to sign legal documents.

All of his property and assets will now come under the control of the official assignee, Chris Lehane, who administers the estate of bankrupts.

A notice of his bankruptcy will also appear in newspapers in the coming weeks to give any other creditors an opportunity to make a claim against his estate.

Following a statutory sitting, the official assignee may sell any property belonging to Mr Fenton and distribute the proceeds among his creditors.

He was not available for comment last night, but speaking at the weekend, he said he had lost everything financially and would probably lose his home.

He had invested heavily in property during the boom to make provision for a pension and lost all of his money during the property crash. He described the court proceedings as “a huge relief” and said a weight would be lifted off his shoulders.

The DJ has worked for Today FM since 2004 and hosts a weekday programme, The Afternoon Show , from 2.30pm to 4.30pm. He was named PPI Music Broadcaster of the Year in 2008.

Mr Fenton had previously worked for RTÉ radio’s 2FM as well as for various pirate radio stations including Sunshine Radio and Radio Nova.

squonk wrote: »

always liked him too , i dont care that hes completley one dimensional and shallow in the way he presents , hes a stereotype but so what , hes not presenting the week in politics + hes on at the same time as the awfull rick o shea on 2fm and thus provides escape from two to 4 .30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Could some Sole Trader explain to me as a PAYE worker, how in the name of God did he let his tax affairs get so out of order?
    I know the man has had a horrible time of it recently and I wish him well, but surely a guy with a profile like that was going to be a target of Revenue.
    He seems to be using bad property investments as his excuse for his bankruptcy, but clearly it's because he didn't pay his taxes. Am I wrong?

Could some Sole Trader explain to me as a PAYE worker, how in the name of God did he let his tax affairs get so out of order?
    I know the man has had a horrible time of it recently and I wish him well, but surely a guy with a profile like that was going to be a target of Revenue.
    He seems to be using bad property investments as his excuse for his bankruptcy, but clearly it's because he didn't pay his taxes. Am I wrong?

either was a dumb move so i doubt thier was any masterplan in action here

Had to laugh at Tony last week with his slang again.

Tony: Hellooooo etc.

Caller: Hello Tony etc.

Tony: Any god forbids?

Caller: ......... <dead air> ........... ehh, what?

Tony: <fake laugh> Any kids?

Caller: Oh right............ No.

Today he has been playing a little segment from an interview from Tinie Tempah, when he "dropped in" a while back. But don't worry, if you missed it, it's up on the website. And he'll also play a clip and mention it every time he plays Tinie Tempah for the next 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Fenton is an acqquired taste certainly but a good guy overall. Funny thing is, if you were a newcomer to radio you'd be advised against emulating his presentation style, because its so 'radio' and very dated. His links are littered with radio 'faux pas' , such as saying 'right here', 'you guys and gals',fake laughing, fake over-enthusiasm , generally sounding like smashy and nicey, but ... it works for him because thats tony fenton, he's practically an institution at this stage. My only criticism is that you'll rarely get a personality link or an observation by him that gives you an insight into the man thats not showbizz related which is a pity.

• Advertisement

heybaby wrote: »
    Fenton is an acqquired taste certainly but a good guy overall. Funny thing is, if you were a newcomer to radio you'd be advised against emulating his presentation style, because its so 'radio' and very dated. His links are littered with radio 'faux pas' , such as saying 'right here', 'you guys and gals',fake laughing, fake over-enthusiasm , generally sounding like smashy and nicey, but ... it works for him because thats tony fenton, he's practically an institution at this stage. My only criticism is that you'll rarely get a personality link or an observation by him that gives you an insight into the man thats not showbizz related which is a pity.

larry gogan hasnt uttered a ( spontaneous ) personal opinion on anything in fifty years and everyone seems to love him

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Had to laugh at Tony last week with his slang again.

Tony: Hellooooo etc.

Caller: Hello Tony etc.

Tony: Any god forbids?

Caller: ......... <dead air> ........... ehh, what?

Tony: <fake laugh> Any kids?

Caller: Oh right............ No.

Today he has been playing a little segment from an interview from Tinie Tempah, when he "dropped in" a while back. But don't worry, if you missed it, it's up on the website. And he'll also play a clip and mention it every time he plays Tinie Tempah for the next 30 years.

His rhyming slang is very cringey alright, and if a song that featured as d-d-d-daily download becomes a single, we'll be reminded ad infinitum that it was a former daily download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

irishh_bob wrote: »
    larry gogan hasnt uttered a ( spontaneous ) personal opinion on anything in fifty years and everyone seems to love him

Dont get me started on Larry Gogan. The man is nearly 80 (very impressive granted) but i really wish he would move to lyric or somewhere to give a younger person (say someone in their 60's lol ) a crack at national radio. Also from a financial point of view, in these times of austerity a younger person would cost less than Larry ..win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Tony Fenton just played Carly Simons "You're so vain", he then went on to say that a few years ago he interviewed the "young lady" but she refused to tell him who the song was about.

Young Lady:eek:, She's 66!! 16 years older than Tony Fenton!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Tony Fenton just played Carly Simons "You're so vain", he then went on to say that a few years ago he interviewed the "young lady" but she refused to tell him who the song was about.

Young Lady:eek:, She's 66!! 16 years older than Tony Fenton!!:D
    Tony is running out of stories, he told that one at least twice before :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Tony is running out of stories, he told that one at least twice before :pac:

I know he always repeats the same lines about his guests, I was laughing that he called her Young Lady!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know he has no childen but does he always have to be so derogatory towards children referring to them as 'rug rats' and 'ankle biters' when asking people about their kids. I'd f*** him out of it if it was me he was talkin to.

Does Tony alway have to pronounce 'quarter to 4' like this: "Coming up on Aaaaaaaa Quarter to 4"

It's not 'a' quarter to 4, it's just quarter to 4.

Wow, I'm feeling petty today. :o

batm!ke wrote: »
    Does Tony alway have to pronounce 'quarter to 4' like this: "Coming up on Aaaaaaaa Quarter to 4"

Ha, of all the things that Tony say which get on me nerves, that's not one of them!

I'd say a quarter to myself actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

batm!ke wrote: »

it's a quarter of an hour to 4.

Fenton 1, BatM!ke 0

damn you Fenton *shakes fist* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

loved the way think it was last week he came on at 230 and said todays guest is rumour (think thats how you spell it) and she will be with us live at 320 then even in mean time was saying wonder what her 1st job was.... time came and then he said oh rumour popped in over xmas and we were only allowed to ask her 5 questions.. 1st question what were your previous jobs ...... was thinking eh wat???????/

jjll wrote: »
    loved the way think it was last week he came on at 230 and said todays guest is rumour (think thats how you spell it) and she will be with us live at 320 then even in mean time was saying wonder what her 1st job was.... time came and then he said oh rumour popped in over xmas and we were only allowed to ask her 5 questions.. 1st question what were your previous jobs ...... was thinking eh wat???????/

In fairness to Tony, he had that slot running for two weeks and never tried to give the impression it was live.

Maybe it was a slip of the tongue, but he certainly was making it clear that they were old guests and they were answering his five questions or whatever..

Not that it makes much difference if it is live or not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

CJC999 wrote: »
    Everything, be it a town, place, song, film or whatever is his favourite and he ends every sentence in which he says how much he loves something with 'i really do' or 'it really is' Well tony, you are really fake...'you really are'

This is his biggest crime imo,everything is great...."it really is",Jesus H Christ no one can like everything!,drives me spare

As far as football goes(or "footie" in Tony language)he only ever mentions matches the day theyre on,he never comments on them the next day despite enthusiastically recommending them the day before,the most he'll do is mention the result which he got from the paper during a song,the fakeness is toe curlingly bad

Didnt know he had so many problems recently,irritating as he is wouldnt wish that on him,he plays reasonably decent stuff(for daytime radio at least,his hands are tied to some extent)i just wish he wasnt such a corny bastard

In fairness to Tony, he had that slot running for two weeks and never tried to give the impression it was live.

Maybe it was a slip of the tongue, but he certainly was making it clear that they were old guests and they were answering his five questions or whatever..

Not that it makes much difference if it is live or not :)

Ah no, most days last week he announced "his guest today would be Professor Green" or whoever, it wasn't until maybe the second segment of the show that he said "they had dropped by a while back". Tony's version of 'a while back' extends to two years ago ffs. Everything about the man annoys me, but I'm not going to go off on one as I'm constantly defending D'Arcy and Foley on the other threads and would rather keep criticism constructive. He's obviously doing something right to still be in a decent timeslot and with his recent troubles I wish him all the best. I'm just lucky I'm in an office by myself that I can plug in the iPod once Foley finishes and/or when I've had enough of Tony talking about "Bruce". :D

• Advertisement

Holy crap - Tony Fenton singing ba ba black sheep. That was weird!

Also, his new thing is to play the Gotye song, and then tell everyone how much it reminds him of Peter Gabriel or Sting . . . . every time.

You just know JP will have Ba Ba Black Sheep in Feedback on friday :D

The Noel Gallagher interview is going to be a massive cringe-fest :pac:

He has mentioned it in almost every link so far!

I was sure he said it would be at 3.10 earlier, but in the last link he said it was at 4.10? :confused:

As much as he is cringey, cheesey, false, dated and even annoying. He seems to be a genuinely lovely guy.

He was on The Last Word last night as part of the Shave or Dye thing. There was this guy there, who was listening to Tonys previous interview a while back with Matt Cooper, talking about his cancer, and how being proactive helped him. This guy (John I think his name was) had been for a check up not long before that and been told he had high prostate levels, and to not worry about it. He was googling etc, and reading a lot and was a bit worried.

John heard Tonys story, and decided to email him asking him what he thought about his situation. He said Tony phoned him as soon as he got the email and talked about his own story and gave him whatever advise he needed. John went on to get diagnosed with prostate cancer, and get treated in the same way and places as Tony. I thought it was nice that Tony basically stuck with the guy the whole way through.

Matt just asked Tony in passing if anyone else had contacted him at the time, and he just said casually "Yeah about 100. I was back in touch with them all, and about 12 went down the same treatment road as John."

Came across as a really sound fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Heard that aswell. Fair play to him.

John heard Tonys story, and decided to email him asking him what he thought about his situation. He said Tony phoned him as soon as he got the email and talked about his own story and gave him whatever advise he needed. John went on to get diagnosed with prostate cancer, and get treated in the same way and places as Tony. I thought it was nice that Tony basically stuck with the guy the whole way through.

That is really sound to be fair, didn't have to do it. Always nice to hear people who can use their influence in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

As much as he is cringey, cheesey, false, dated and even annoying. He seems to be a genuinely lovely guy
    :D I know what you mean but Tony has reveresed the normal trick of sounding genuine on air and being false off air.

• Advertisement

whats tony going to do now foley has played springsteen at 220 in afto

jjll wrote: »
    whats tony going to do now foley has played springsteen at 220 in afto

Ha ha ha, thats exactly what I text to the show when Foley played it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

That won't bother Tony,he will give Bruce his daily airing,how much in royalties has Bruce gotten from today fm and notably tony over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

bloody well hate his show plays the same sh*t all the time, im doing some work in a shop at the moment and they always have that show on it drives me crazy listening to it.....and ray foley aint much better either, today fm bosses need their hearing aids turned up so they can hear the crap that they are pushing out over the airwaves..:eek:

Can't believe the worst quiz ever is back again. 100 to 1. Utter shíte. Embarassing how he tries to make it sound exciting in the promos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I wonder does he practice that fake laugh at home?

• Advertisement

Clanket wrote: »
    Can't believe the worst quiz ever is back again. 100 to 1. Utter shíte. Embarassing how he tries to make it sound exciting in the promos

It's not the greatest alright. Very good prize though.

100 to 1 why o why would you even try to get on the show at question 100 this is the worst game ever

Brutal alright

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Clanket wrote: »

Its bad alright. I guess it was to replace his "Rock and Roll Roulette" and before that "The Wall of Sound", which imo was the best of the 3 items by a fair bit.

There seems to have been a fair degree of messing around with regards to what to put on at approx. 3:30 on his show.

saying he is playing 100 to 1 next probably be 3-2-1 or bullseye ha ha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement