Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a boring family car!!

• 29-12-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Im looking for a boring, reliable, safe famly car like a 520D Touring or an A6 Avant, i have been told to head to the UK for the best prices, anyone any advice of good places to go to? Any advice at all would be handy as i dont really know what to look for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Start here.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk Use the Postcode of a hotel in the town you will fly into. I normally pick Liverpool because its cheapest to get to and there are so many towns with big dealership nearby.

Get the Month the car was registered in from the dealer by e-mail/phone and then head here.

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

Use a calculator and get your TOTAL.

Add your flight and return ferry, price of number plates etc.

And BOOM you have your car.

For your own peace of mind consider this as well unless you are buying from a truly reputable dealership which will likely have this or similar done already.

http://www.rac.co.uk/products-services/vehicle-inspections/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Approach some dealers in Ireland too and tell them what you're after. they may have contacts with something suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get in touch with dealers in places like Birmingham, Liverpool, Chester, Manchester etc. They're all within fairly easy reach of Holyhead and they should have some experience selling cars for export to Ireland.

Mightn't be premium enough, but the Skoda Superb Estate might fall into budget as a new car.

It's no oil painting, but they are genuinely massive and with the right spec they live up to their ambitious name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

Thats great, i will check this all out, i will also check out the Skoda but the wife once drove the 520 and is insistent on getting one but we will see. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thats great, i will check this all out, i will also check out the Skoda but the wife once drove the 520 and is insistent on getting one but we will see. .

A wife of good yet expensive tastes. Mine likes Pennys! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Berty wrote: »
    A wife of good yet expensive tastes. Mine likes Pennys! :D

cant keep my bloody other half out of the place either!!!!! sorry off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Im looking for a boring, reliable, safe famly car like a 520D Touring or an A6 Avant

I reckon your take on something exciting would be interesting... :D

well i work as a helicopter pilot so my frame of reference might be a bit odd

Thought you'd be looking at a Saab in that case!

• Advertisement

well i work as a helicopter pilot so my frame of reference might be a bit odd

So what would you consider interesting?

Bugger, I'm drifting again...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

In the very same boat meself. Wont be buyin new. Prob an 04-05. A6, X-type, 525 or a 93 is what i have it narrowed down to.

saab do airplanes not helis, im not interested in things that cant hover!!! In the meantime a family estate with plenty of airbags will do, thankfully i get my thrills at work:)

you wouldn't want to be relying on a Saab estate for them anyway :D

The obvious question is what is your budget?

around 20-22 grand all in. However if i can get it for 18 i would be a happy man! up to 5 year old as long as the mileage isnt too big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Check autoquake.co.uk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

saab do airplanes not helis, im not interested in things that cant hover!!! In the meantime a family estate with plenty of airbags will do, thankfully i get my thrills at work:)

Tell your wife that the 520D suffers badly from vortex ring state :D If you get your thrills at work you're doing it wrong ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I found these good when buying a car from the UK. Slighty more expensive but they do all the hard work for you.

Just tell them what you like and they organise everything else.

http://www.dreamcars.ie/

Worth a try anyways and if you don't like the price then you can still get one yourself.

Thanks for all the tips, a great help. I will keep an eye out for the old Vortex Ring on the BMW, the airbags might come in handy if i enter that on a country road!! Now i just have to convince my wife she really wants a Skoda and not a BMW. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Im looking for a boring, reliable, safe famly car like a 520D Touring or an A6 Avant, i have been told to head to the UK for the best prices, anyone any advice of good places to go to? Any advice at all would be handy as i dont really know what to look for.

It depends on how much you will be spending. Personally I don't think there is much point in going to the UK unles you are spending €20K or more. Any thing less and you will find just as good value at home without all the hassle. A good place to start is www.bmw.co.uk. It has all of the UK main dealers for BMW and you can refine the search so that you are not trawling for hours. Personally I wouldn't buy from anyone other than a main dealer in the UK if I was spending that kind of money. I don't know if Audi have a similar facility. I have been looking at 520D Tourings only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Thats what she said...

on topic

What about an oul volvo? big estate. Safe and built like a tank? Can't posibly think of anything more.. *yawn* boring than a volvo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

congo_90 wrote: »
    What about an oul volvo? big estate. Safe and built like a tank? Can't posibly think of anything more.. *yawn* boring than a volvo

should defo get a LOT of choice on high spec '08 new model diesels in the UK too with full service history etc etc

personally I really like the m-tec 5-series touring. fantastic looking car

Thanks but my current jallopy is a volvo and i would not be in a hurry to get another, had a few problems and although i know i may have just been unlucky you know how it is when you form an opinion about a brand.

Thanks for the merc suggestion but im not keen on a SUV.

Advertisement