Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See all network signal strengths to help decide network

• 29-12-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am currently with o2 and the signal strength in my house is very poor, is there anyway I can get my phone to show the signal strengths of all networks so I can see which network provides strongest signal and change to that network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am currently with o2 and the signal strength in my house is very poor, is there anyway I can get my phone to show the signal strengths of all networks so I can see which network provides strongest signal and change to that network?

Get a prepay SIM from all the networks and try them in your (unlocked) handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

never thought of that! cheers blaz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭kirving

You can manually select you network (in phone/network settings) and get a list of all the available networks. You can do this if you network has very bad, or no signal, although it will cost you quite a bit more to make calls.

You can then see how many bars of signal you have. This isnt always linear though, just because you have 2 of 4 bars, does not always mean the signal strength is 50% of the ideal. Sometimes 4/4 means over 75% and 1 of 4 may mean less than 10%.

You can, if you phone is able, install a free program called "CellTrack", which will give you the actual singal strength/percentage.

I'm not sure how accurate this program is, as a week signal does not nessecarily mean bad call quality. I think you phone "signal" meter generally displays the call quality you can expect at that location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

You can manually select you network (in phone/network settings) and get a list of all the available networks. You can do this if you network has very bad, or no signal, although it will cost you quite a bit more to make calls.

You can then see how many bars of signal you have.

No, you can't. Unless your current operator has a roaming agreement with the other operators, you won't be able to logon to their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Get hold of a free UK sim that can roam on all of the networks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement