Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range of standard Eircom wireless router

• 29-12-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭

I just got Eircom broadband at Christmas and have had endless issues with the wireless. First of all I couldn't connect at all for more than a second or 2, and after speaking to Eircom support, it seems that this was due to the fact that I have a wireless phone and it was too close to the router. They said that this would interfere.

Anyway, after moving the router as far as I can away from the phone, (will need a phone cord extension to be able to move it any further) I can now connect to the wireless service. However it seems to have practically no range.

The router is behiond my couch and if I go and sit on the stairs, (about 8 feet away) the signal drops. Upstairs is no chance.

Is it really that bad or is there still something wrong? Could the phone still be causing problems? I also use a wireless thing for the Sky box, to be able to view in another room without paying for Sky multi-room, will that cause issues too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just to follow up with a bit more info...

I did some experimenting with the other devices. I unplugged the cordless phone and the sky transmitter, and I get perfect wireless upstairs. Tried with just the phone plugged in, also no problem. Tried with the phone out and the Sky transmitter in... Dead.

So it seems that the Sky transmitter is the one causing the issue. Any suggestions for a solution/workaround?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

By Sky transmitter You mean wireless tv sender? You probably just need to login and try changing wireless channel. Type 192.168.1.254 in Your browser will allow You access it.

Edit, even easier, there's prob a switch on the tv sender to change channel, may be marked 1,2,3, changing that on both would also do the trick

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Edit, even easier, there's prob a switch on the tv sender to change channel, may be marked 1,2,3, changing that on both would also do the trick

Beat you to it!

Changed the channel on the bottom of the TV sender, problem solved. Was just coming back here to update.

Thanks.

Should have come here before I rang Eircom. Slow git on the phone seemed like he was new, hadn't a clue what he was on about half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Beat you to it!

Changed the channel on the bottom of the TV sender, problem solved. Was just coming back here to update.

Thanks.

Should have come here before I rang Eircom. Slow git on the phone seemed like he was new, hadn't a clue what he was on about half the time.

as i read ur first post, i was gonna say sky! lol.

dont blame the eircom dude. they get feck all training, and have to read from scripts most of the time.

glad u got it working.

as i read ur first post, i was gonna say sky! lol.

dont blame the eircom dude. they get feck all training, and have to read from scripts most of the time.

glad u got it working.

Yeah, used to work in a call centre myself, but this fella did seem especiallhy thick. He seeemed barely IT literate, never mind specifically trained!

• Advertisement
Advertisement