Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco's Deep Filled Mince Pies (6) reduced to 25c

• 29-12-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I was in Tesco's in Castlebar and they had their own brand deep filled mince pies reduced from €1.89 down to 50c 25c for six. They had plenty of boxes available, all with a best before date of 25th January 2010.

14iocg0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good value..

I got 6 of the Tesco Finest Mince Pies for €1.50 before Christmas.. and they were godawful. Still 5 of them left sitting in my press! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

No wonder, who actually buy those? :D -- good price for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I did...actually having one now....not bad for 50c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I once tried these after Christmas, and I must say they worked well,
    they can definitely be consumed during non festive periods,
    a real anytime of year dessert

just incase anyone feared purchasing so late in the year

I love Mince Pies to be honest.. and could eat them any time of the year.

Connacht Gold / NCF used to do some amazing shortbread crust mince pies.. fecking amazing! Don't think they're available anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭georgem25

They had these in Limerick Coonagh today too.
    They also have 12 mini ones for 50c.
    They also have the value range - 6 for 15c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Nothing wrong with these mince pies, just heat them up properly in the oven (microwave won't do - I've tried that) and dollop on some whipped cream or brandy butter ... grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I like them - and particularly for 50c for 6!
    10 seconds per pie in the microwave works for me (of course take the foil off first!). Any longer and the inside gets dangerously hot while the outside stays misleadingly cool.

They also have mince pies with an icing topping reduced to 65c for 6 - not as deep as the others and maybe a bit sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

They are 6 for 25cent in my local tesco.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    They are 6 for 25cent in my local tesco.

Are you sure we are talking about the same thing?
    The deep-filled ones are 50c - don't think they are Tesco Finest but they are not Tesco Value either - those were 25c for 6 alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Get a litre of decent vanilla icecream, let it go a bit soft, crumble in two of these festive delights, good stir & refreeze. Delish !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Are you sure we are talking about the same thing?
    The deep-filled ones are 50c - don't think they are Tesco Finest but they are not Tesco Value either - those were 25c for 6 alright.

Yeah same ones. The pies in the picture in the OP. This is in Greystones. They had a massive pile of them at the entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They are absolutely dreadfull mince pies. I ate most of them not to waste 'em but I wouldnt pay for them. Not even 10c.

iMax wrote: »
    Get a litre of decent vanilla icecream, let it go a bit soft, crumble in two of these festive delights, good stir & refreeze. Delish !!
    The stuff in the own-brand BLUE container at LIDL is/was absolutely delicious! Real vanilla in it too. Fabuloso when mixed up with apple pie or strangely enough carrott cake.Haven't seen it in the larger tubs for a while. Has to be the blue one though - their cheap one is - well - cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

These were only €0.05 for a box of 6 in Tesco New Ross tonight. Expire 31/12/09. Loads of boxes left at around 6pm. :)

These were only €0.05 for a box of 6 in Tesco New Ross tonight. Expire 31/12/09. Loads of boxes left at around 6pm. :)
    Paige Turner! Great name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah der goin for 5cent on the day of exp

Is it a USE BY or BB date???

AFAIK the true date would be a few days later, due to sugar content

NOM NOM NOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

All mince pies are a rip off, no matter what the price - there's no mince in them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Valeah

colblimp wrote: »
    All mince pies are a rip off, no matter what the price - there's no mince in them. :rolleyes:

FYI, mince ain't a foodstuff, it's a verb:-)

Valeah wrote: »
    FYI, mince ain't a foodstuff, it's a verb:-)

Pedantic Pat, and that is that...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

These are 25c now:) (In mahon point anyway)

lindtee wrote: »
    These are 25c now:) (In mahon point anyway)

25c in Paul Street too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Valeah

colblimp wrote: »
    Pedantic Pat, and that is that...:rolleyes:

Nah, just an embittered veggie. You would be amazed with the amount of people that try to catch you out, thinking that 'cause it's got mince on the title, it is meat. It would suprise you how many people think there is meat in a mince pie, that's all. As a wise man once said, bacon, ham, chops, mince, they all come from this one magical mystical animal:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yeah same ones. The pies in the picture in the OP. This is in Greystones. They had a massive pile of them at the entrance.
    think there might be two types - I got 6 for 50c but they were in a different box than the one in OP's picture (our box has a gingham tablecloth on!) so maybe different ones are different prices. Either way, we enjoyed them.

As for BB dates etc, I don't hold sway with people being so obsessed with them! Smell it, have a look at it....if it doesn't smell off, or look off, give it a little nibble. if it tastes alright nosh away! the pies don't know what date it is! its not like they're sitting in their box thinking, ay up, its the 1st of Jan, we had better all go 'off' immediately! lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Smell it, have a look at it....if it doesn't smell off, or look off, give it a little nibble. if it tastes alright nosh away!

Advice that can be applied to many aspects of life.... ;) !

Not to sound too preachy here.. but do remember there's a different between the terms 'Best Before' and 'Use By' when referring to food production!

'Best Before' means the products are at their 'best' before this date (shocking I know), but can still be consumed after said date. But don't take the piss either - when you eat something 3 months after it's best before date, don't be suprised if it's stale or "gone bad".

'Use By' means just that. Consume the food item before that date.. and I wouldn't recommend eating after that date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Valeah wrote: »
    Nah, just an embittered veggie. You would be amazed with the amount of people that try to catch you out, thinking that 'cause it's got mince on the title, it is meat. It would suprise you how many people think there is meat in a mince pie, that's all. As a wise man once said, bacon, ham, chops, mince, they all come from this one magical mystical animal:-)

Beware! Not all mince pies are veggie. Some are made using animal fats so read ingredients before you buy (same with marshmallows btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

They were giving a 6 pack of mince pies out for free in m&s in dundrum on the 30th of dec, best before the 31st. :D

Dan

basquille wrote: »
    'Use By' means just that. Consume the food item before that date.. and I wouldn't recommend eating after that date.
    ah, the fear factor!!!!
    I have had many an item in my fridge at different times, and often there is nothing wrong with it even after the 'USE BY' date. Fair enough, we're not talking weeks here, but a couple of days for 'fresh' items and even a week or two for items stuffed full of preservatives.

Whilst I do appreciate there is an element of protection for the consumer, it also means that because so many people take these dates as gospel, a lot of perfectly good food is thrown away and another trip to the supermarket is needed :rolleyes:.

I lived abroad for a few years, and we ate a lot of locally produced dairy, veg, baked goods. These were not labelled with a USE BY date - you learned from experience and common sense when something was no longer edible.

Like I say, the food doesn't know what date it is! USE by the 3rd of Jan - OMG the cheese knows its the 4th, it will now POISON YOU!!!!! Dum dum dummmmmmmmm.......

I also think its hilarious how some use by dates have TIMES on them - like the mayonnaise has a watch! pmsl :p

• Advertisement

muffinhead wrote: »
    Advice that can be applied to many aspects of life.... ;) !

ah, how true :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Only 5c per pack in Douglas Cork tonite.

Advertisement