Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Victim Group Requests Cowen For Priest Movement Details

Options
  • 29-12-2009 7:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

An American victim group that has been chronicling the current US clergy sexual abuse scandal has released the names of 60 to 70 accused - some as yet to be convicted - priests it says were born in Ireland or are of Irish descent who came to the United States and were re-offenders. The group who's website has listed upon it a well documented database of 3,000 names of accused priests and roughly a third are linked to Ireland, which is reeling from revelations of a decades-long coverup of abuse in the Dublin Archdiocese. They called on Brian Cowen to recognize his country’s responsibility to inform the American public of all child-molesting clergy from Irish dioceses and religious orders who have immigrated to US dioceses.

[font=times new roman,times]At a press release conference yesterday, Helen L. McGonigle, a Connecticut lawyer, held up a a picture of herself at age 6. McGonigle said she was 6 when she was abused by a priest named Brendan Smyth, who left a trail of abuse in Britain and Ireland before he came to work in East Greenwich, R.I. [/font][font=times new roman,times]Smyth died in an Irish prison in 1997, shortly after pleading guilty to 74 counts of sexually abusing 20 Irish boys and girls between 1958-1993. [/font][font=times new roman,times]“We know it was problem in the Diocese of Providence having this Irish priest who was a known pedophile,’’ said McGonigle, now 48. [/font][font=times new roman,times]“This is a classic example of an organization that doesn’t give a hoot about protecting children,’’ she said.[/font]

[font=times new roman,times]Jeffrey Thomas stated that he also had been abused by Smyth. Thomas filed suit in Providence Superior Court against the Diocese of Providence and others, alleging that he had been abused by Smyth at an East Greenwich, R.I., parish school.[/font]

[font=times new roman,times] “I am a survivor of clergy abuse,’’ he said outside the Cathedral of the Holy Cross. “The bigger crime to me is that [Smyth’s] superiors knew about his appetite and his sexual desires and still put him in populations with small children to re-offend.’’ Also named on the website list are the Rev. Joseph Maguire, who served in Waltham and died in prison in 2005 while serving a 44-year sentence for abusing three boys.[/font]

I have contacted a Mod about the legality of posting the Victims website and as such their incorporated report and list.
    They understandably requested that I do not post a link to the site as the report contains some ALLEGED priests as well as some actually found convicted.

Should you come across the site, do NOT post a link on boards.ie - their request which I am 100% sticking to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to US Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TheZohan wrote: »
    Moved to US Politics.
    Dear God Why.

Being a US-Irish Relations piece it should go to Politics-root, if anywhere.

Overheal wrote: »
    Dear God Why.

Being a US-Irish Relations piece it should go to Politics-root, if anywhere.
    There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask, 'Why?' I dream of things that never were, and ask 'Why not?'

JFK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dear God Why.

I have my own suspicions as to why.
    *sigh* :(
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Biggins wrote: »

The Catholic Mafia that are the AH mods have not locked the other Church-bashing threads yet.

• Advertisement

Make a plackard and protest outside your local church.

Keyboard warriorism alone achieves nothing.

Its a thread that is directed at our own countries leader.
    The question is, do we supply the information requested by the victims - and to be honest, possibly by the legal officials.
    Thats not a question for the USA section, its a question for the Irish people - which by the way is inferred by the simple title of the thread and the direction it points in, addressing Cowen and asking him to be called upon to help victims out.
    Tell that to the many people that have put pressure on their governments because of details and news exposures on websites about protests, deaths, etc.
    Tell that to major companies that have been exposed and forced - for single simple example - to recall faulty products.
    Tell that to Simon Cowell and the rubbish he produces, who was knocked off the Xmas number 1 spot by a protest site.
    There are many more examples...

The question is, do we supply the information requested by the victims - and to be honest, possibly by the legal officials.
    Thats not a question for the USA section, its a question for the Irish people - which by the way is inferred by the simple title of the thread and the direction it points in.

The US authorities need to ask for this information off the Irish Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Its a thread that id directed at our own countries leader.
    Thats not a question for the USA section, its a question for the Irish people - which by the way is inferred by the simple title of the thread and the direction it points in.

That's not really what AH is about though, you're an activist.. why not request an activism forum where you can drum up support for your various crusades and have proper debates about the subjects you care about without the chance of them been moved?

Well it may fall under Megan's Law in some respects. In which case that information is and should be attainable by private US citizens, as the law stands.

Im not going to debate Megans Law here. It has Pros and Cons. But it should be adhered to while its here. While these priests or... anyone Irish, are residing and working in the United States, the Irish Government may need to consider disclosing accounts of sexual misconduct.

• Advertisement

The US authorities need to ask for this information off the Irish Government.
    Hard to ****ing ask in the US Politics Forum though isnt it.
    Bold-Faced Lies.

We're talking here about 1,000 approx Irish priests that have been resident in our country. A lot of which were born here.
    Our country was used as a stop-gap for some to ferry them to the states later to avoid legal challenges and victim statements and accusations.

There are questions to be asked upon our leaders lack of investigation of activities.
    There are questions to be asked upon why the Irish Church was doing this and how they got away with it for so long?
    There are questions to be asked why the government is for all intensive purposes appearing to be stalling to quietly hoping this matter will be dropped
    There are loads of other Irish related questions...

...but hey, lets shove this in the USA politics section???
    After all, those questions can be answered here out of the way of Irish politics???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Well it may fall under Megan's Law in some respects. In which case that information is and should be attainable by private US citizens, as the law stands.

Im not going to debate Megans Law here. It has Pros and Cons. But it should be adhered to while its here. While these priests or... anyone Irish, are residing and working in the United States, the Irish Government may need to consider disclosing accounts of sexual misconduct.

Could you explain to me how a US law means the Irish Government has to do anything? I understand in matters of immigration,yes, but what exactly can the US do if the Irish government says no? Genuine question.

We're talking here about 1,000 approx Irish priests that have been resident in our country. A lot of which were born here.
    Our country was used as a stop-gap for some to ferry them to the states later to avoid legal challenges and victim statements and accusations.

There are questions to be asked upon our leaders lack of investigation of activities.
    There are questions to be asked upon why the Irish Church was doing this and how they got away with it for so long?
    There are questions to be asked why the government is for all intensive purposes appearing to be stalling to quietly hoping this matter will be dropped
    There are loads of other Irish related questions...

...but hey, lets shove this in the USA politics section???
    After all, those questions can be answered here out of the way of Irish politics???

Could you just go and ask them so? Them being people who can give you answers, and who give a crap.And stop using boards as your own website for whatever issue has got your knickers in a twist this evening.

dan719 wrote: »
    Could you explain to me how a US law means the Irish Government has to do anything? I understand in matters of immigration,yes, but what exactly can the US do if the Irish government says no? Genuine question.
    Turn them right the **** around. You can keep your child molesters. We have no liability to keep them.

If the Irish Government doesnt want to disclose critical information that could prevent a child from being raped, then we should turn away all priests from the Catholic Archdiocese outright.

And by the way: It is a matter of immigration. Was that a joke Dan?

Could you just go and ask them so? Them being people who can give you answers, and who give a crap.And stop using boards as your own website for whatever issue has got your knickers in a twist this evening.

Well pardon me!
    There's I thinking that many who have questions, start their own threads.
    Are you a mod now to order me to stop creating threads too about other subjects?

As for "who gives a crap" - the victims and their families and friends for a start either side of the water that has seen these evil people stay in our country and then shifted to elsewhere to escape prosecution!

Sorry if that minor subject and subsequent questions upset YOU.
    You have a choice not to click into this thread you know, if your not interested.

Well pardon me!
    There's I thinking that many who have questions, start their own threads.
    Are you a mod now to order me to stop creating threads too about other subjects?
    I have other posters tell me the same thing. "Rawr go write Israel a sternly worded letter and lemme live in my fantasy".
    Its a discussion board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Does boards have such a lack of threads you feel the need to go to each one regardless of your level of interest?

Oh. Ok.

Allow me to Go There then:
    • Absolutely broke.
    • Fed up being at home.
    • Have a load of college work which I don't want to do.
    • Was supposed to have three weeks employment which now looks like being reduced to two.
    • Really want a pint.

:rolleyes:

Oh. Ok.

Allow me to Go There then:

:rolleyes:

It's called the rant bitch moan thread. I am sure you saw that though.:rolleyes:

Also considering the size of the forum, and the fact most regular users know each other IRL, you can hardly compare it to grandstanding on AH.

So allow me to say GO F*CK YOURSELF.

• Advertisement

It's called the rant bitch moan thread. I am sure you saw that though.:rolleyes:
    I did. But the difference is Im not the hypocrite here.
    Also considering the size of the forum, and the fact most regular users know each other IRL, you can hardly compare it to grandstanding on AH.
    Im not sure where you think most people know eachother in real life. But whatever. Its not your place to tell biggins where to go.
    So allow me to say GO F*CK YOURSELF.
    Or me for that matter.

Furthermore if you want to accuse another poster of Soap-boxing please report the post.

As for "who gives a crap" - the victims and their families and friends for a start either side of the water that has seen these evil people stay in our country and then shifted to elsewhere to escape prosecution!
    Indeed. And what has the Irish Archdiocese done? Well thats a dumb question: They've offloaded their problems on the Boston Archdiocese. Meanwhile its still the Church's problem. Its gone from a National Incident of Ireland's slowly but surely into an International Incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Nice.

Thread got moved to the main Politics section.

Sticking to the topic, the simple fact that many, many named and well, well documented priests that has used Ireland as a place to hide, stay or pass through in order to escape conviction, is shocking.

How much did our government know about this and if they didn't know, why not?
    The American massive victim support site does not list those using Ireland lightly.
    They provide hundreds of much detailed documents and nearly 10,000 articles to say the least - they have done their research and they clearly don't publish lightly without checking their legal basis.

Side note: let me make something clear, my posts are not an attempt to "knock" the Catholic religion. I'll defend anyones right to what they want to believe with Rome or any of the other faith based religions (the exception being for me Scientology - a money based org').

This is about culpability by those in this country that has allowed this shocking movement of a large numbers of people that are highly questionable at best - and at worst according to the HUGE extensive records and list of possible crimes, has allowed this fiasco to continue for decades.

This trafficking of these priests through our state is utterly shocking.
    For our government not to know this was going on is worrying in the least.
    And if they did know, why wasn't something done to stop it?

To quote the victims organisation:
    The Catholic sexual abuse crises in the United States and Ireland are deeply connected. Priests who were trained in the Irish seminary system were crucial to the growth of the U.S. church. Many Irish-born priests, including one bishop, are sadly among the priests accused of abuse in the United States. Some priests who offended in Ireland were transferred to the United States, and priests accused of abuse in the United States have sometimes found shelter in Ireland.

What on earth was/is going on?

One example (of many): One that is named is now still residing in Ireland after he was indicted for abuse in Phoenix AZ and fled the states.
    We let him in to stay here! He is still here and the Irish public does not know about his history or sexual inclinations.
    Who is monitoring his movements - if at all? Does the Irish Gardi even know he might be a risk?
    (The American authorities requested his extradition back but we said "No" !!!)

Advertisement