Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy recipe for cookies

Options
  • 29-12-2009 7:50pm

I was wondering if anyone had a very easy recipe for Smarties or choc chip cookies? I've only baked a few times before and most of the stuff didn't turn out that great, so I'd like to start with something fairly simple and foolproof! Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

You can't go wrong with this recipe for chewy cookies.....similar to the M&S ones.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-big-fat-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie/detail.aspx

CC

Oh they look delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That recipe is really easy to make. Sometimes I add extra flour so that I can roll the dough into balls rather than spoon it out.

Aww, I screwed them up. Must have done something wrong. Used the wrong kind of brown sugar perhaps? It said 'packed brown sugar' so I got the kind that's all smushed together, the dark kind. My cookies came out really brown and taste like gingerbread. They're still nice but nothing like what they're supposed to be. What did I dooo? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Odlums website is great for easy recipes and their chocolate chip cookies are really good LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah it could very well be due to the ammount of molasses in that type of sugar.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

[quote=[Deleted User];63713024]Aww, I screwed them up. Must have done something wrong. Used the wrong kind of brown sugar perhaps? It said 'packed brown sugar' so I got the kind that's all smushed together, the dark kind. My cookies came out really brown and taste like gingerbread. They're still nice but nothing like what they're supposed to be. What did I dooo? :([/quote]

"Packed" brown sugar refers to the way of measuring out the sugar, i.e. packing it tightly into the cup measurement, as that recipe is given in U.S. Imperial measurements, where everything is measured by volume. You can change it to metric/grams by switching to "metric" under the "Servings" section on the page, and then clicking "Calculate." So 1 cup of packed brown sugar equals 220g, which is the same amount in grams for 1 cup of light brown sugar listed here. Use light brown or demarara sugar instead and they won't turn out as brown and deeply-flavoured.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yep, I will try the lighter sugar. I was sure I'd made a mistake before they even went in the oven as the dough mixture was dark brown, nothing like the picture. Also, I left them in the oven too long, as I thought they weren't done, then I noticed in the comments section, everyone else said they wouldn't look done but to take them out anyway. Hope I have better luck with the next batch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

2 eggs
    295g firmly packed sugar
    1 teasp vanilla extract
    150g plain flour 110 self-raising flour
    1/2 teasp bicarbonate of soda
    125ml vegatable oil
    120g chopped roasted pecans
    120g chopped raisins
    150g dark choc chips
    95g white choc chips

beat eggs sugar and extract in a small bowl for 1 min.
    stir in sifted dry ingredients then remaining ingredients. Cover bowl. Refrigate for 1 hour.
    Bake for about 10 mins or until browned lightly in a preheated oven 200/180C.

It seems like a lot of ingredients but it is really simple. I got it from the womans weekly. when I made it I didn't add the raisins just made it with dark choc, milk choc and roasted pecans instead! (using same measurements, i also used all plain flour and a little baking powder as i didn't have any self raising flour)

Advertisement