Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telnet - Connection to host lost

• 29-12-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am using Telnet to connect to my Netopia modem router (eircom broadband) by opening the default router address 192.168.1.254. I get the message 'connection to host lost' every now and again - does this mean I have lost the actual internet connection or just the remote connection to the modem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Connection to the modem, why are You using telnet? Why not just use Your browser? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kaz_22

Thanks....I was using telent as I thought it would tell me when the connection dropped without having to keep an eye on the browser modem page. My connection keeps dropping but the dsl light stays steady green so I was trying to establish when it drops. Any ideas how I can do this without having to monitor the modem via the browser??

Ping it?
    Accessories-->system tools-->command prompt
    Type "ping 192.168.1.254 -t" without quotes

I need to monitor the connection over a number of hours so I would be pinging constantly to establish if the connection was working I think.
    I just want to open the connection, leave it run and come back a few hours later to see if the connection dropped at all when I was away.
    I thought the 'connection to host lost' when connected to modem via Telnet was telling me this but appears not.
    Any ideas?

Telnet would have a default timeout. Stopping the ping later by pressing ctrl+c would give You the statistics, percentage dropped pings etc.

If its a wireless issue, try changing wireless channel under wireless settings

Post the stats for Your line, You'll find them under dsl statistics (i'm presuming thats a standard Eircom Netopia modem You're talking about)

• Advertisement

Had to get the stats send over to me cos I am in my friends at the moment so sorry for the delay. Here they are...

Although Your attenuation is high, the line should be fine for those speeds, that line is well capable of 3Mbit. Do this and see if You still have problems.

Edit: You didn't say whether Your problem is wired of wireless, if wireless start by changing Your wireless channel

Its wireless

Thanks for your help

Advertisement