Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Event on 5th of January 2010. Most likely the Google Phone / Nexus 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

godtabh wrote: »
    Just saw a demo on endgadget. Was gona get the hero this week on meteor but think I will be holding off to see how this pans out
    Engadgets review isn't exactly glowing. They really like the phone, but don't think its as mind-blowing as its made out to be.
    Industry politics aside, though, the Nexus One is at its core just another Android smartphone. It's a particularly good one, don't get us wrong -- certainly up there with the best of its breed -- but it's not in any way the Earth-shattering, paradigm-skewing device the media and community cheerleaders have built it up to be. It's a good Android phone, but not the last word -- in fact, if we had to choose between this phone or the Droid right now, we would lean towards the latter. Of course, if Google's goal is to spread Android more wide than deep, maybe this is precisely the right phone at the right time: class-leading processor, vibrant display, sexy shell, and just a sprinkling of geekiness that only Google could pull off this effortlessly. Then again, we suspect Motorola, Samsung, Verizon, and countless other partners might disagree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mr E wrote: »
    Engadgets review isn't exactly glowing. They really like the phone, but don't think its as mind-blowing as its made out to be.

Yeah I read that but I'd still hold off and wait for a few more reviews to come out first. I'm in no rush so I'll just sit and wait

Reading some other places that they are usnure if engadget actually have the final release version so I'd be more interested when the likes of cnet get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ, Engadget are probably one of the more lick-arse biased reviewers out there.

Like godtabh said, I'll wait for more reviews.

If my iPhone (original model bought for $300 on release) were to break today, I'd say the E71 would be my next purchase. I couldn't warrant the money Apple are asking for another iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mr E wrote: »

It's written by Josh Topolsky, so I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The review may not have been "mindblowing" but that is down to the expectations of the Google link. As an Android phone however it is still up there at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

has anyone who has used it get a chance to check if the european version supports multi-touch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Thought Engadget's review was terrible. Did they even mention that noise cancelling mic? The sound quality of the earphone jack? Video recording?

Rushed out.

gdgt will have live coverage of the launch event starting at 1800 GMT http://live.gdgt.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭baileye

hal9000 wrote: »
    has anyone who has used it get a chance to check if the european version supports multi-touch?

No, it doesn't. But that could be because all the phones out there at the moment are using american firmware. There are some European Android phones that have multitouch since they don't have the same patent restrictions as in the US.

tl;dr: no, but European versions might upon release.

baileye wrote: »
    tl;dr: no, but European versions might upon release.

Google are going to have fun explaining that, if they're released worldwide today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭positron

I hope this kicks off a price war between Apple and Google, and hopefully Apple will learn a lesson or two for shafting everyone with their exclusivity deals.

• Advertisement

$530 isn't exactly a game changing price tag, but we'll see...

Edit : http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/nexus-one-hitting-france-at-450-contract-free/
    Maybe you, like us, are a little disappointed at how the Nexus One fared in our review. It may not be the ground-breaker we'd all hoped for, but it's still a mighty important handset, and while we're expecting to know the full details for its American release later today it seems someone may have tipped their hat on European availability details a little early. According to Le Point, the phone will be available in France and elsewhere in Europe within the next "several weeks," with prices at €450 for a contract-free device. However, if you don't mind signing two years of your wireless independence away to Vodafone that price is said to drop to €200. Again, we're still waiting to learn about pricing here in the States, but we'd expect a similar ratio here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Engadget are saying that the Nexus could land in France at €450 contract free which isnt a bad price. But TBH I dont see how this is much better than the HTC Hero, except the Nexus has a lovely 3.7" screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Dman001 wrote: »
    Engadget are saying that the Nexus could land in France at €450 contract free which isnt a bad price. But TBH I dont see how this is much better than the HTC Hero, except the Nexus has a lovely 3.7" screen.

.. and double the CPU speed. and a decent 3d accelerated GPU.. AMOLED.. and double memory.. teflon coating (thats on the white Hero too).. bluetooth 2.1... light and proxy sensors..
    :rolleyes:

nmesisca wrote: »
    .. and double the CPU speed. and a decent 3d accelerated GPU.. AMOLED.. and double memory.. teflon coating (thats on the white Hero too).. bluetooth 2.1... light and proxy sensors..
    :rolleyes:
    I stand corrected:D

But the CPU speed would be the only major thing it has against the Hero IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Somewhat related... does anyone know when HTC are having their press event at CES? I'd be pretty interested in seeing once and for all what the deal with their recently leaked line-up is before committing to getting the Nexus One.

Dman001 wrote: »
    I stand corrected:D

But the CPU speed would be the only major thing it has against the Hero IMO.

GPU and the screen res would be my major points. you'll end up downclocking it in most cases imho.

nmesisca wrote: »
    you'll end up downclocking it in most cases imho.

Do you think that would be manually controllable?

Baza210 wrote: »
    Do you think that would be manually controllable?

its very easily rootable, so just install setCPU and you're game.

Thanks for the info, I'm not really in touch with the Android dev. community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Martinog

Baza210 wrote: »

watching :pac: wondering should i cancel the htc hero i ordered last night

The annoying thing about gadget sites is that the only surprises there are at releases now are negative ones. What!? No camera in the iPod touch!? It seems we already know everything there is to know about the Nexus One, Google might as well have not had this conference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

seems ok, But will be hard to beat iphone. wonder what the price is like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know of an acutal video feed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Voice enabled sms texting... but it doesn't do txtspeak - Fail for todays generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know of an acutal video feed?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/google-android-press-gathering

Not available in Ireland going by the website:
    www.google.com/phone

It will be sold in some EU countries going by the Terms of Sale though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Voice enabled sms texting... but it doesn't do txtspeak - Fail for todays generation.

Would have said the exact opposite. txt spk was used when phones were limited by the number of characters a text could handle, which is nonexistent these days. Txt spk isn't even lazy, it's harder to type in it then to just use plain English.

Either way, I don't think this phone is aimed at 15 year olds who use txt spk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Available in Europe in Spring 2010.
    On sale through US google web-site (I think presenter said for $179 only although I'm not sure).
    Can engrave name via web-site.

Advertisement