Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Event on 5th of January 2010. Most likely the Google Phone / Nexus 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Its $179 on contract, $530 unlocked. It will be on Vodafone in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Handy that its going to be available for shipping to the UK. Might have to tell my sister to place an order :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

JohnK wrote: »
    Handy that its going to be available for shipping to the UK. Might have to tell my sister to place an order :D

dang it, was hoping this would be available in Ireland from the get go. But the UK isn't so bad i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Dman001 wrote: »
    Its $179 on contract, $530 unlocked. It will be on Vodafone in Europe.

Well then if it going to be 530 unlocked I would be better getting the far superior iphone. On channel 4 news they said google was not going to make money from the phone but was going to us it as a platform for their applications. 530 at cost is a very expensive phone! (imagine what the price would be if they were making a profit) I think I will go with apple with has a better track record with their phone than google, from the video to be honest it seemed like a copy-runnerup-after thought idea to combat Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

sold wrote: »
    Well then if it going to be 530 unlocked I would be better getting the far superior iphone. On channel 4 news they said google was not going to make money from the phone but was going to us it as a platform for their applications. 530 at cost is a very expensive phone! (imagine what the price would be if they were making a profit) I think I will go with apple with has a better track record with their phone than google, from the video to be honest it seemed like a copy-runnerup-after thought idea to combat Apple.
    Far superior how?

530 is less then the iphone unlocked(especially with dollars & not euros)

And not everything exists to combat Apple.You really seem to be on the defensive if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The only thing the Anroid phones lack compared to the iPhone is media playback. While they do offer some sort of media playback, it is very limited and plain.

I cant see that Google are selling these at cost? The iPhone costs under $200 to make and the iPhone has a large built in memory. Although, the Nexus does have many extra features and hardware compared to the iPhone, and it would depend on how many Google/HTC are producing with Economies of scale and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sold wrote: »

Google may not be making any money of these, but you can bet your hat that HTC are. I'd be amazed if the cost per unit was more than 250-300 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah, Vodafone will have it, possibly other networks as well at the same time.

Google Nexus One to be available on Vodafone

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Mobile_Exec/Google_Nexus_One_to_be_available_on_Vodafone.aspx
    The Google phone, Nexus One will go to Vodafone in Europe and will be available in Spring 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Dman001 wrote: »
    The only thing the Anroid phones lack compared to the iPhone is media playback. While they do offer some sort of media playback, it is very limited and plain.

From the tech specs of the nexus, it plays AAC+, mp3, vorbis, and wave, and others.
    It doesn't seem to play wma's.
    This is quite comprehensive, and is all that I will need.

While I can't say anything about the andriod interface/media palyer, it isn't limited ( loads of formats).
    The fact that the platform is open, suggests that there will be many choices so people will be able to develop lots of features, so it won't be plain either.

edit: oh, yeah, it also has a 3.5mm jack, so you can get your own high quality headphone (not limited)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Well if it's spring for Vf UK it will easily be summer/autumn for Vf Ireland would be interesting to check out the VF forum on here and see if Kelly or Paul have anything to see it.

In short I want one though!

• Advertisement

kierank01 wrote: »
    From the tech specs of the nexus, it plays AAC+, mp3, vorbis, and wave, and others.
    It doesn't seem to play wma's.
    This is quite comprehensive, and is all that I will need.

While I can't say anything about the andriod interface/media palyer, it isn't limited ( loads of formats).
    The fact that the platform is open, suggests that there will be many choices so people will be able to develop lots of features, so it won't be plain either.

edit: oh, yeah, it also has a 3.5mm jack, so you can get your own high quality headphone (not limited)
    The stock media players are arse I will admit but since they dont care what you develop for it (as in you can create your own versions of whatever phone function you want) its pretty good.I use Tunewiki on my G1 and it rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I just ordered one (going back to the US for a few months this weekend) - should be waiting for me at my house when I get there :D
    Seemed to be no problems ordering it with my Irish credit card, although I did have to use my work's proxy server to actually place the order, as it won't let you from an Irish IP address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Stephen wrote: »
    I just ordered one (going back to the US for a few months this weekend) - should be waiting for me at my house when I get there :D
    Seemed to be no problems ordering it with my Irish credit card, although I did have to use my work's proxy server to actually place the order, as it won't let you from an Irish IP address.

Very Jealous :p:p
    Did you go for the unlocked?

Anyone know the UK unlocked price yet?
    Haven't seen an official screenshot of it yet only people guessing by using current exchange rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

lafors wrote: »
    Very Jealous :p:p
    Did you go for the unlocked?

Anyone know the UK unlocked price yet?
    Haven't seen an official screenshot of it yet only people guessing by using current exchange rates.

The base price is the same, as it is ordered in dollars. I believe there is an additional $20 charge for shipping, but there probably will also be an import duty charge as it is being sent from the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I know, I know.. there's probably something dubious about it, but I still found it funny!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

basquille wrote: »
    I know, I know.. there's probably something dubious about it, but I still found it funny!

Did some one say duty charge!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Will it not be shipping from the UK if you buy it there?

Either way I'll be getting it shipped to either the UK or Canada what ever it works out cheaper and wont have to worry about import duty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

godtabh wrote: »
    Will it not be shipping from the UK if you buy it there?

Either way I'll be getting it shipped to either the UK or Canada what ever it works out cheaper and wont have to worry about import duty

Everything is ordered through the US site, and there is no shipping from the UK.

randomer wrote: »
    Everything is ordered through the US site, and there is no shipping from the UK.

canada route so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Here's the pricing in other countries apparently...
    Nexus One Pricing

If thats the case I'm getting my friend in hong kong to order it for me.

lafors wrote: »
    Here's the pricing in other countries apparently...
    Nexus One Pricing

If thats the case I'm getting my friend in hong kong to order it for me.

similar was posted above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thats annoying about the extra cost to get it over here :(

I'm going to be in Vegas at the end of the month so I'm almost half tempted to try and have one shipped to my hotel...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

balls! I knew that price was too good to be true, that would make it around €475 ordering from the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

JohnK wrote: »
    Thats annoying about the extra cost to get it over here :(

I'm going to be in Vegas at the end of the month so I'm almost half tempted to try and have one shipped to my hotel...

My dad will be in a similar scenario in San Francisco around the same time, I wonder if he could do a next-day delivery... as said earlier, Google will take an Irish credit card it just has to be an American IP.

I'm quite determined for him to get a Nexus One while he's over there, absolutely sick of this RAZR V3. There's surely some kind of drop-box company that would order it for you and then let you collect it?

Baza210 wrote: »
    My dad will be in a similar scenario in San Francisco around the same time, I wonder if he could do a next-day delivery... as said earlier, Google will take an Irish credit card it just has to be an American IP.

I'm quite determined for him to get a Nexus One while he's over there, absolutely sick of this RAZR V3. There's surely some kind of drop-box company that would order it for you and then let you collect it?

i've got stuff delivered to hotels. Mainly football tickets. Not sure if its the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

godtabh wrote: »
    i've got stuff delivered to hotels. Mainly football tickets. Not sure if its the same
    I remember Apple / AT&T getting wise to this (people using hotels / hotel rooms as an address) after the release of the original iPhone. AFAIK, they changed their conditions so you also needed a valid SSN (social security number)! :D

• Advertisement

I would say cool if I didnt hate Apples headphones :D

They don't necessarily have to be made by Apple. There are plenty of good iPhone headsets, like the NuForce NE-7M, Klipsch Image S4i, Etymotic HF2, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10vi.

For anyone interested in buying a Nexus One : http://www.gamaze.com/blog/2010/01/how-to-order-googles-nexus-one-smart-phone-if-you-live-outside-the-us-uk-hk-or-singapore/

Advertisement