Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Event on 5th of January 2010. Most likely the Google Phone / Nexus 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Baza210 wrote: »
    Ok now I love you

Hmmmmm.400 on the dot almost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

That excellent if it works. Im might try it, it will be stressful waiting for it to come :) if it ever does :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Ten Reasons Google's Nexus One is the iPhone Killer

1. Aroma spray technology allows for fully immersive fart apps.
    2. All phone calls instantly and efficiently forwarded to the Chinese government.
    3. Pulsing trackball perfect for all-night Centipede raves.
    4. Live Wallpapers quickly become "most exciting feature no one will use after two days."
    5. LED camera flash due to misunderstanding all the demands for Flash on the iPhone.
    6. Massive YouTube usablity improvement: all comments automatically ignored.
    7. Location-based photographs document exactly when and where you became a slave to material possessions.
    8. Screen routinely fogs up to realistically demonstrate how all of your personal information is truly in The Cloud.
    9. Increased productivity due to massive lack of interesting and distracting games.
    10. Background notifications allow you to be instantly informed when your newly-purchased phone has become obsolete. DING.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

They don't necessarily have to be made by Apple. There are plenty of good iPhone headsets, like the NuForce NE-7M, Klipsch Image S4i, Etymotic HF2, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10vi.

For anyone interested in buying a Nexus One : http://www.gamaze.com/blog/2010/01/how-to-order-googles-nexus-one-smart-phone-if-you-live-outside-the-us-uk-hk-or-singapore/
    Hmmmm could this be done with a UK forwarder & english proxy I wonder.
    Although shipping time & if its worth it would have to be taken into account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

godtabh wrote: »
    i've got stuff delivered to hotels. Mainly football tickets. Not sure if its the same
    Did you have to get in touch with the hotel in advance to let them know something would be delivered? I'm sort of afraid they'd refuse any kind of package thinking it was something dodgy :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

JohnK wrote: »
    Did you have to get in touch with the hotel in advance to let them know something would be delivered? I'm sort of afraid they'd refuse any kind of package thinking it was something dodgy :o

No just told them where I was staying and asked them to leave behind the desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well that didnt take long! They've already dismantled a Nexus One on iFixIt http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-One/1654/1
    godtabh wrote: »
    No just told them where I was staying and asked them to leave behind the desk
    Thanks godtabh

I think I'll do next-day delivery to the hotel then, cheers godtabh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd make sure you are around that way incase it goes for a walk within the hotel. Something like that could disappear if people know what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Engadget are stating that the European Nexus will have multitouch support.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

doubtfull, i think apple have a patent on multi touch in the u.s on mobile devices. So thats why the euro droid (milestone) can hav multi touch in the eu and presumably the same applies to the nexus one. I'l be waiting for the euro model myself. Sure whats a few more months :P

apope8 wrote: »
    doubtfull, i think apple have a patent on multi touch in the u.s on mobile devices. So thats why the euro droid (milestone) can hav multi touch in the eu and presumably the same applies to the nexus one. I'l be waiting for the euro model myself. Sure whats a few more months :P

By people on xda-developers, not Google, I meant.

And it's not the "few more months" I'm concerned with, it's the fact that it will probably cost €200 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

By people on xda-developers, not Google, I meant.

And it's not the "few more months" I'm concerned with, it's the fact that it will probably cost €200 more.
    ah sure it wouldnt be ireland if it wasnt!!!

http://www.knaster.com/2010/01/nexus-one-tips-for-iphone-users.html
    I've been a happy iPhone user since the day the first one went on sale. About 4 weeks ago, I got a Nexus One from my employer (UPDATE: to be clear, I work for Google), and it seemed pretty cool, so I decided to try it out as my actual, one-and-only cell phone. To make this a fair test, I decided to stop using my beloved iPhone for 3 months and use only the Nexus One.

If you're an iPhone user trying out a Nexus One, here are some tips to get you started.

* You can simply move the SIM from iPhone to the N1. However, you won't get 3G on AT&T, only Edge. This hasn't been a big deal for me. And my iPhone data plan seems to work fine for the N1.
    * I miss the iPhone's silence/ring switch, but you can silence the phone by swiping the volume control on the lock screen. If the phone is already on, hold down the Volume Down button to (silently) silence.
    * If you use Gmail or Google Calendar, you'll love the native apps for those products. Finally, they get out of browser jail.
    * Voice input is not just a toy: it really works and I rely on it. By speaking clearly (but not necessarily slowly), I usually get 100% accuracy, even if there's background noise, which I think is the noise-canceling mic at work.
    * The Android Market (where you buy apps) has a 24-hour money back policy. So you can try any app for a day, then return it if you don't want to keep it.
    * You can double-tap to enlarge in the browser, but you can't pinch or spread. There's another browser (imagine that) in the Market called Dolphin that implements gestures, including pinch and spread. I just started trying it out.
    * There's a built-in app that tells you how much of the battery is being used by which apps and features. This is invaluable.
    * Quickest and most flattering comparison vs. iPhone: put an iPhone and an N1 side by side and compare the screens. The N1 just pops.
    * You can't scroll to the top by touching the top of the screen, but as a reasonable workaround, a flick or two usually scrolls all the way up; there's less friction in scrolling than on the iPhone.
    * Instead of AT&T's visual voicemail, sign up for Google Voice and configure it to handle your voicemail. You'll get visual voicemail plus text transcripts that are remarkably good. And you can even send voicemails to your email or listen to them via a web UI.
    * You'll re-learn to type, just as you did when you got the iPhone. Best N1 keyboard feature is the list of several autocomplete choices. I now type faster than I do on the iPhone (which is pretty fast).
    * You can't use the web while you're on a phone call, but you can run apps in the background. This makes chat apps like Google Talk actually usable and is good for music apps like Pandora.

They don't necessarily have to be made by Apple. There are plenty of good iPhone headsets, like the NuForce NE-7M, Klipsch Image S4i, Etymotic HF2, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10vi.

For anyone interested in buying a Nexus One : http://www.gamaze.com/blog/2010/01/how-to-order-googles-nexus-one-smart-phone-if-you-live-outside-the-us-uk-hk-or-singapore/

I risked this. :) so far item has shipped to myusbox and there is pic of box up
    on their site no. So looking good so far.

jd83 wrote: »
    I risked this. :) so far item has shipped to myusbox and there is pic of box up
    on their site no. So looking good so far.

Awesome! Let me know if you get snagged for customs or anything. Tallying up the method of having it delivered to my dad's hotel while he's in San Fran, it's gonna cost just as much as via a mail forwarder like the one in that guide. $530 + $30 next day + $50 California added tax :eek: ~€400 and I have to wait 3 weeks longer.

Do you have an ETA?

It's 400 euro for phone the 5 dollar for myusbox account.
    The 39 dollars for shipping. It's says it dispatched to Ireland with
    fedex to Ireland and 4 working day eta. I'll let ya know about customsiv it comes :)

$530 is more like €370, did you pay for next day delivery?

When I ordered it there was no options for delivery and it's was sent to new York by fedex over night. My credit card was deducted 401 euro

• Advertisement

Hmm, that's weird. I checked it out earlier today with the HotSpot Shield and there was 3 options, free ground, $5 express and $30 next day. Probably the $30 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭jamesd

Awesome! Let me know if you get snagged for customs or anything. Tallying up the method of having it delivered to my dad's hotel while he's in San Fran, it's gonna cost just as much as via a mail forwarder like the one in that guide. $530 + $30 next day + $50 California added tax :eek: ~€400 and I have to wait 3 weeks longer.

Do you have an ETA?

Im going to San Fran next month, where are you getting the iphone from?

I will have it delivered to his hotel from google.com/phone, if I don't go the myusabox route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

http://www.bundlebox.com/shipping_estimate/ is an alternative to MyUSBox. I found the website on the Stuff website. Ive never used any of these services so I couldnt tell you what they are like, but they may be a cheaper alternative.

anyone know if i get stung by customs how much it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

you'll get charged vat, 21% on the base price

yh hope that doesnt happen. Myusabox opened it and removed all the invoices, put in new box and marked as gifts. So fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Im having hassle with google checkout declining my cc, i rang the cc company and they say all is fine from my end so im wondering is it only possible to buy with a uk credit card seen as i was shipping to a uk address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Doubt it. I bought one with an Irish credit card and shipped it to a US address. I'd be there with it in my mitts now if American Airline's hadn't canceled my flight today :(

• Advertisement

same here, bought with irish visa card worked fine.

Advertisement