Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Event on 5th of January 2010. Most likely the Google Phone / Nexus 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anyone else having a pain in the arse with Googles store?:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

What problem are you having?

eireal wrote: »
    What problem are you having?

Everytime i go to 'Continue' after entering billing/shipping information i keep getting an error message-"oops we seem to have encountered a problem,try again in a few minutes". Very frustrating. A bit of googling tells me i'm not the only one with the problem.

No matter,got through the process but got the cancellation email a few minutes later,same craic as others,send them a scan of bank statement/i.d. etc. Think it'll be ebay for me so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

lord lucan wrote: »
    No matter,got through the process but got the cancellation email a few minutes later,same craic as others,send them a scan of bank statement/i.d. etc. Think it'll be ebay for me so.

How come they ask for that. I take it you had a u.s address to ship too.

• Advertisement

jd83 wrote: »
    How come they ask for that. I take it you had a u.s address to ship too.

Yep,i had a US address set up. I've no idea what caused it tbh,CC had the funds on it and was good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

To those who's orders got cancelled, was it Visa or MasterCard you used? And did you have the extra security verification thing set up on the card? Just wondering if maybe theres a common factor that could be blocking things for you.

What type of cc are you using? I had that problem with mastercard, ive since tried a visa card and touch wood i havnt gotten that email of yet, the current status is that the webstore have recieved my order so fingers crossed

Was just thinking. This is going to be shipped with a us charger. Any ideas where to get Irish one? Anyone know if the usb pc connection also charges the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was just thinking. This is going to be shipped with a us charger. Any ideas where to get Irish one? Anyone know if the usb pc connection also charges the phone.
    You can charge it via USB.. and will get a USB cable with it.
    sc002.jpg

The Nexus One comes with plenty of goodies, including two cables to charge it--a USB cord, and an A/C adapter. Users also get a neoprene sleeve, and headphones with a built-in microphone.

• Advertisement

What type of cc are you using? I had that problem with mastercard, ive since tried a visa card and touch wood i havnt gotten that email of yet, the current status is that the webstore have recieved my order so fingers crossed

I used a Visa.

You can pay an extra €20 at checkout for a euro charger, although ive a link i'll try find that has them on deal extreme for less

EDIT - I found out the charger is a 2pin 110/240v so all you will need is a shaver plug adapter which are about €3 from any hardware shop ect

You can pay an extra €20 at checkout for a euro charger, although ive a link i'll try find that has them on deal extreme for less

EDIT - I found out the charger is a 2pin 110/240v so all you will need is a shaver plug adapter which are about €3 from any hardware shop ect

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-B150-MicroUSB-Google-Nexus/dp/B00337LT9I/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1263144622&sr=8-31

Would that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

hick wrote: »
    you'll get charged vat, 21% on the base price

+ import duty and the couriers handling charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm using an Apple iPhone/iPod charger USB charger for my HTC Hero. It's kinda handy as the apple charger is tiny compared to anything else i've seen. Smaller than most normal irish mains plugs! These are widely available at HMV and various other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Do note that most USB chargers don't give out enough power, so the Nexus One will charge much slower through USB then through the supplied charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

blaz wrote: »
    Do note that most USB chargers don't give out enough power, so the Nexus One will charge much slower through USB then through the supplied charger.

from the tech specs:
    Charges at 480mA from USB, at 980mA from supplied charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

kierank01 wrote: »
    from the tech specs:
    Charges at 480mA from USB, at 980mA from supplied charger

From experience: it takes about twice as much time to charge over USB then it takes using the supplied charger.

Just got the phone delivery now. Myusabox put a fake invoice in for 75 dollars so the delivery guy charged me 21 euro in vat at the door :) Definetly going to use that us address again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

You're a lucky fecker jd83 :D

So what was the grand total to get the phone into your hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Just got the phone delivery now. Myusabox put a fake invoice in for 75 dollars so the delivery guy charged me 21 euro in vat at the door :) Definetly going to use that us address again!

:D

Did you have to specifically ask MyUsaBox to do that, or did they auto- re box it and sort you out with a €75 invoice?

Phone: 401 Euro including delivery to new york
    Myusbox: 3.40 Euro to set up
    Delivery to ireland : 26 Euro
    Vat or duty not sure which: 26 Euro

Total: 456 Euro and there going on ebay for 600 or something like that. No there was an option to create a new invoice with a price set by me but i didnt pick it. When you go to ship and item in your mailbox they ask for instructions. I just said to repackage it and remove all invoices that came with it. Didnt think i would get it so soon. I ordered a phone from o2 a while ago and it took a week to come from ireland. This took 4 days and it wasnt even directly sent to me :)

Also someone pointed out to me here that i was charged for overnight delivery to new york. I must have missed the free slower mail option. So you could probably get for 20 eurl cheaper if you choose this.

So far everything works apart from google voice, turn by turn navigation and speech recognition is coming up server error. Also the earphone are a bit dodgy and cheap looking.

Further update to anyone interested. Over 3g the phone is really fast. Im on vodafone and on all my previous phones 3g was choppy at best. With this its pretty quick. However on wifi im finding it very slow. The speech recognition works great over 3g but not the wifi. Maybe someone here know why. Google maps load quickly on 3g but not on wifi. I have tested wifi on other phone and its quick so dont know what the story is. Apart from this issue phone is great. Maybe someone else with one can check if they have same problem.

Its also very easy to set up. Just whack any sim in it and enter your google account info and thats pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Further update to anyone interested. Over 3g the phone is really fast. Im on vodafone and on all my previous phones 3g was choppy at best. With this its pretty quick. However on wifi im finding it very slow. The speech recognition works great over 3g but not the wifi. Maybe someone here know why. Google maps load quickly on 3g but not on wifi. I have tested wifi on other phone and its quick so dont know what the story is. Apart from this issue phone is great. Maybe someone else with one can check if they have same problem.

Its also very easy to set up. Just whack any sim in it and enter your google account info and thats pretty much it.

what channel is your wifi router on?
    what wifi channel is your nexus one on?

nmesisca wrote: »
    what channel is your wifi router on?
    what wifi channel is your nexus one on?

My router is b and g channel 11, how do i find out on the nexus

My router is b and g channel 11, how do i find out on the nexus

settings->wireless->wireless controls-> [press menu] -> advanced -> regulatory domain

the US has more channels and by default it could go on 13.
    not sure if thats the case though its only a few clicks to test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Any further impressions/thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Baza210 wrote: »
    Any further impressions/thoughts?
    ditto

trying to decide on this or n900

• Advertisement

got my nexus last night.
    amazing phone. feels very solid, but at the same time is not heavy in your hands.
    the whole experience is very smooth, eye candy is there at last ;)
    i think i kind of need to get used to the few significant changes in the UI. I m not mad on the scrolling of the launcher to be honest. it doest feel as responsive as in the rest of the OS. this is, imho, a minor software glitch as the screen is very (even too much) responsive everywhere else.
    no issues with bluetooth headset, sound is crispy.
    still obviously testing the battery, but have fiddled with it way too much :) and i have to say i am quite impressed with it.
    most of the apps i have tried work perfect.
    i found wifi to be much more responsive than before. a second after i click to install an app from the market it has already downloaded it! big improvement.

if you have questions please ask :) i will test for you if you like..
    and i will add some more impressions in a couple of days..

Advertisement