Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M6 Traveling on Bank Holiday?

• 29-12-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Firstly I couldnt find anywhere to post this other than ehre where the drivers are!

Coming back from Galway to Dublin on Bank Holiday Friday (New years day) and wondering does anybody know how long the drive will take since the new section of M6 opened?

Google Maps/Yahoo Maps!/AA Route Planner all dont seem to have been updated.

Cheers in advanced guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

I think it has been established that lucan to the first roundabout outside Galway takes about 2hrs15mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

And it might take longer depending on weather conditions and if the roads have been gritted or not as seems to be the case in a lot of areas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Roryhy wrote: »
    I think it has been established that lucan to the first roundabout outside Galway takes about 2hrs15mins

I'd imagine in good weather conditions it'll be considerably less than 2:15
    It's less than 240 km and it's 120kmh limit most of the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

With stopping at the toll booths and the oft-awkward junctions around Athlone area, plus speed limit restrictions at Galway city limits, Athlone + Leixlip, youd do well to manage 2 hours even in better conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Toll booths delay by about 30 seconds each all told if using a tag, M50 interchange to start of M4 is 6.5km = 1 minute 30 seconds lost if done at 80km/h rather than 120km/h. You can do 100km/h on the Athlone BP in normal conditions, and its what, 8km long? 50 seconds lost vs. doing it at 120. The 100 near Galway is about 12k right? 1:20 lost or so.

I've seen it claimed at being 194km from the M50 to Doughiska, so 1:37 at 120km/h and add say 10 minutes for the slowdowns, round it up - 1:50. 2 hours would be bad going!

• Advertisement
Advertisement