Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with underweight hedgehog

Options
  • 29-12-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Hi, my first post in this forum. I was feeding a young hedgehog each night earlier in the winter and it disappeared when the cold spell hit. I assumed it had gone into hibernation. I found it wandering on the road outside the house this morning in broad daylight. It is underweight and a trip to the vet confirmed lung worm and malnourishment. It has been given antibiotic and worm shots and is living in my spare room. It is eating and drinking and probably has a good chance of recovery. The problem is that it will need caring for through the winter and can only be released back into the garden when warmer weather arrives. I'm not really in a position to do this. Does anyone know of a 'hedgehog care centre' type place like they have in the UK, preferably in the greater Dublin area where I can send it to be looked after? I'm willing to keep it for a while longer until the vet treatment is finished and paid for but after that I need to find it a home. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

good on you for caring - i'm afraid i don't know of anyone who can help - did you try calling the ISPCA? or even contacting the group in the UK as they may know of a group here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You could try the ISPCA as said or there is a hedgehog rescue centre in Belfast -- they may know of someone who takes them in the south of Ireland perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

Maggie at Dogs Aid Animal Sanctuary often has hedgehogs overwintering, you could try her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Thanks everyone, I will follow up on your advice once the vet treatment is finished. I'll let you all know if I find a home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Dropped the hedgehog in to Dogs Aid today. One of the ladies there has a lot of experience with hedgehogs. Left a donation too, they have lots of hungry mouths to feed. Now I'm only left with his smell:D If he survives the winter I can collect him for release back into the garden. Thanks for the help.

Fair play to you for caring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Ah well done :)

Advertisement