Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of tiles

• 29-12-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

Looking at doing up our bathroom in the new year. Had a tiler in who said we'll need 23sq yards of wall tiles, 4 sq yards of floor tiles and 23ft of border (if we go for one).

Had a look in two shops today and saw some tiles I liked in both that would come to approx 350 eur for all the above (tiler will provide grout, adhesive etc).

Now I know tiles can go up to any price but we're just looking for something relatively plain, maybe in a cream/beige warm colour and maybe a small border and I'm wondering if people think this is a good deal or if we would do better shopping around a bit more?

Tilestyles sale is starting Saturday so thinking we might hold off for that. Not sure if we'll get it much cheaper though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

sillysocks wrote: »
    Looking at doing up our bathroom in the new year. Had a tiler in who said we'll need 23sq yards of wall tiles, 4 sq yards of floor tiles and 23ft of border (if we go for one).

Had a look in two shops today and saw some tiles I liked in both that would come to approx 350 eur for all the above (tiler will provide grout, adhesive etc).

Now I know tiles can go up to any price but we're just looking for something relatively plain, maybe in a cream/beige warm colour and maybe a small border and I'm wondering if people think this is a good deal or if we would do better shopping around a bit more?

Tilestyles sale is starting Saturday so thinking we might hold off for that. Not sure if we'll get it much cheaper though.

I would shop around, I found great prices in right price tiles, for around 400 euro I got enough tiles to do kitchen floor, bathroom floor, en suite floor and shower. All same tile, floor tile on shower wall might not be ones cup of tea but looks the job in my case. Adhesive and grout is where some tile shops make most money but in your case thats covered.

Not sure what way you are with supporting local business but its very hard to beat B&Q prices up north, I was there recently, shocking the price difference, they've 15% off everything at moment, even goods already on special sale. Good selection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Hadn't thought of B&Q so might try there tomorrow. If there wasn't much of a price difference would prefer to go for a local place but am on a budget so will depend on the price.

Its actually Right Price Tiles near us who's sale is starting Saturday not Tilestyle ....Want to have checked out a few options so that if I do go to the sale on Sat I'll be able to make a decision there and then, and not miss out on a good deal because we were indecisive!

Anyone know if Right Price Tiles sale is any good or is it a 'tiles are half price' but they never actually were the full price in that shop anyway?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dont necessarly buy tile adhesive from the tile shops, (which i see you're not) -you will get the same adhesive from a hardware store for a fraction of the price.

I used to buy pallets of adhesive from the UK.. 15KG Bags of rapid set for 4.50 per bag.. + VAT

We'd sell them in the hardware store for between 10 - 15 + vat depending on if it was to the trade or retail.

The exact same adhesive was sold in certain tile shops for 25 + VAT.

Same thing on tile trim, id buy it for a euro, sell it for 4.. tile shops... nearly 10.

Hadn't thought of B&Q so might try there tomorrow. If there wasn't much of a price difference would prefer to go for a local place but am on a budget so will depend on the price.

Its actually Right Price Tiles near us who's sale is starting Saturday not Tilestyle ....Want to have checked out a few options so that if I do go to the sale on Sat I'll be able to make a decision there and then, and not miss out on a good deal because we were indecisive!

Anyone know if Right Price Tiles sale is any good or is it a 'tiles are half price' but they never actually were the full price in that shop anyway?!

The tiles I picked up @ right price defo came down, I checked prices before, when I went back to buy them I was happy to find they had a sale on.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

not too sure where you are but right price tiles in naas have some cheap tiles. i did both my upstairs and downstairs bathrooms in a beige tile brick effect 46 yds of tiles in total for 230 euro tiles only,
    look at the back of the shop for end of range tiles they have several pallets there for 4-5 euro per yd. im sure you would find 23yds of a tile you like there and if you go brick effect it looks better without the border in my opinion.
    and i picked up the floor tiles in b&q for i think 40 euro for both bathrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your orig price is actually ok. But your always right to shop around. Your right to let the tiler use his own adhesive and grouts.

Thanks all..... in Waterford and the Right Price here is closed until the sale starts so not able to check out prices there before it.

Have persuaded 'himself' to go to a few shops with me tomorrow and then on Sat we can go to Right Price and be prepared to buy something there and then if we think its good compared to what we've seen.

Thanks all..... in Waterford and the Right Price here is closed until the sale starts so not able to check out prices there before it.

Have persuaded 'himself' to go to a few shops with me tomorrow and then on Sat we can go to Right Price and be prepared to buy something there and then if we think its good compared to what we've seen.

I've found for first time here, bargaining is starting to work, don't be afraid to mention how you found prices lower else where. Most shops want sales, they are willing to match even give out reduced price just to get a sale.

I had to carpet two rooms, spent a week checking out different prices in different stores, I mentioned to all suppliers I was shopping round who ever gives best price will get sale. In the end it worked out great, got some great carpet for only 200 euro per room, a gang arrived to fit, must have been 4 of them, hard to see where profits are made, sales is what they really want, profit comes last.

Being honest goes a long way, give it a go.

Right price tiles is ok. This type of outlet generally works on the principle that it buys end of line batches and sometimes slightly imperfect tiles such as porc.

Nothing wrong with that...I have them in my ensuite and i was in the business :D

But its very important you buy the right quantities as when you go back they may not be there any more. Also a lot of the porc is slightly bowed(Normal again on cheap porc) which means it might not be suitable to be layed in brick effect. This is an important consideration if you tiliing a large area.

The best thing to do is try get a couple of pcs of tiles to show your tiler. Even if you have to pay a slight deposit for there return its worth it.

Usually when a tiler says they will supply adhesive and grout they are baseing your adhesives and grout on ceramic tiles. Its important you check that they can stick to that deal if you go with porc. There is a sig difference in the price of adhesive.

If your willing to travel there is a company just over the border that does tiles real cheaply and they deliver all over ireland. They do good tiles at a reasonable price and are based in armagh. Your tiler should know them. A lot of dublin companies are doing deals at the monent. Oddly enought they are called armagh tile.

Vogue / Btw / Allied Ceramic / Tilestyle / Right price

The problem with going with the likes of woodies and atlantic for tiles is your dealing with a general sales assistant who does not have much exp in tiles. This is fine, there is a market for this but i always stay away from it.

btw right price tile always seem to be having a sale. a bit like harvey norman. I dont know if you agree but you kinda get to that point where you think its more than an advertisement than a sales promotion

Thanks for the advice.

Because its a small enough quantity and relatively cheap I don't think I'd have much saving going North....its about an 8 or 9 hour round trip from here so would probably spend the savings on petrol alone.

I thought I remembered Right Price being one of those sale always on places when we first moved in and were tiling the kitchen, so I'm not expecting too much from their sale on Sat but sure even if we saved 50 eur its better in our pocket!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice.

I thought I remembered Right Price being one of those sale always on places when we first moved in and were tiling the kitchen, so I'm not expecting too much from their sale on Sat but sure even if we saved 50 eur its better in our pocket!

Exactly.

Could anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost to get and fit an underfloor heating mat under the tiles? Tiles for floor area are 4yards sq so guessing a mat around that size.

Hadn't asked the tiler/plumber that originally but half thinking of it now depending on price so just looking for a rough guesstimate?

Generally do people think these work ok and are worth it?

Could anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost to get and fit an underfloor heating mat under the tiles? Tiles for floor area are 4yards sq so guessing a mat around that size.

Hadn't asked the tiler/plumber that originally but half thinking of it now depending on price so just looking for a rough guesstimate?

Generally do people think these work ok and are worth it?

estimate 450 Euro( supply and fitting) Devi is a good mat but it has a hunting stat which i am not fond off as it uses a lot of power. The potterton myson one is also good.

Thanks.....bit more expensive than I thought, saw a mat in b&q for 120 today but wasn't sure if they'd be any use. Wasnt sure about fitting costs either.

Thanks for all your replies :)

Thanks.....bit more expensive than I thought, saw a mat in b&q for 120 today but wasn't sure if they'd be any use. Wasnt sure about fitting costs either.

Thanks for all your replies :)

Yes that would be ok and allowing 150 fitting(Electrics and a couple of extra quid for the tiler) that brings it up to 270. Seems grand.

Went to Right Price this morning and bought the tiles.....
    Thanks all for your help. Went with cream ceramic for the walls and cream porcelain for the floor. Was 290 eur so not too bad.

Didn't bother with a border - the one they had matched with the tiles we choose was working out at 300 eur just for the border :eek: so happily left that behind! Might have a look around for a border somewhere else or just go without.

Advertisement