Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was this a small twister?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I took a few pics of this from the M9 around Bagenalstown in June, it was during a spell of fairly nasty squall.

What did I see? Dead ahead was a noticable weather system with a grey finger coming down about 1 quarter of the way to earth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Looks like a funnel cloud. How long did you observe it for?

What date?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It has the appearance of being a funnel cloud, which is a weaker rotating cloud system than a tornado, often seen in relatively cool, moist unstable conditions. These rarely develop to the ground and if they do, might produce a localized F0 tornado doing the sort of damage where sheds are flipped over and loose objects blown around, a few shingles coming off roofs, branches off trees, etc.

However, if you recall the situation as being warm and humid, it could have been a developing landspout, the first stage of a tornado. Possibly it never developed beyond what you captured in those pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Great thanks for the interest.

The date attached to all 3 pics is 22/6/09. As I recall, it didnt develop further and those 3 pics were the best I could have got. As a driver I remember the weather at the time, was such that there was 1 or 2 of these systems in visibility somewhere on the horizon all that week, fairly rough when you were under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

dont know much about twisters but i was out on a boat in lough erne enniskillen and we definately witnessd 1 in the distance . took a short video but wasnt visible on the vid . It looked very small but the funnel went from the clouds right down to the groud.

cc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I witnessed several funnel clouds along a thunderstorm squall line that crossed the country about 5 or 6 years ago, later that night on BBC weather they reported a tornado from the same squall line in the Severn estuary.

Yeah that was a funnel cloud, a rare enough event to see around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement