Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were to come out again,what would you do differently?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

My coming out was rather expensive. I was 17 when I decided to do this, so bare with me. I booked a flight to Australia, finished my leaving cert, got drunk, told my all mates and took a year out to backpack Australia. Everybody knew by the time I got home, and I'd had a year out there becoming really comfertable with my sexuality. I'm not actually sure if it was a reason for me taking a year out and going to Australia, but it certainly made things easy for me. Anyways, I came back to Ireland, started college and joined the LGBT. It's been really great actually, so I wouldn't change a think about coming out, except I might have told my friends sober :O

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I was already "the gay kid" in school long before I came out. Probably since I was about 10 or 11 haha. Ironically, when I came out (15) most of the abuse I was getting just kinda stopped... I don't know if it was because everyone else kinda grew up around then or because they knew I didn't care what they said anymore. I'm definitely glad I came out early though, it made school life a lot more fun! Everyone knew I was gay so I didn't have to be paranoid about doing anything that would make people find out and could just be myself with no reservations.

I didn't actually tell my parents til I was 17, that's probably something I would change if I could. My mom obviously knew so I don't know why I kept delaying it! Also I told my (5) siblings at different times and it probably would have been easier for everyone just to do it all at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I'd have done it earlier, especially with my brother, and probably been a bit more upfront about how I told people. Ah well. 20/20 hindsight and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkywolf

Got a boyfriend, and just did it, didn't take the time to let people give their opinions, didn't matter.

No one even batted an eyelid after a day or so.

Advertisement