Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering fostering puppy with mange...

Options
  • 29-12-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone have advice to offer on the issue of fostering a puppy for a number of weeks that is currently undergoing treatment for mange?

As much as I would love to take the little guy in (and he's coming from a reputable rescue shelter) I don't want to introduce mange to the household.

Any advice welcome... Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I think once the mange is being treated it should be ok to foster him. Our youngest dog was being treated for it when we got her and the two already in residence remained unaffected in spite of being in contact with her

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Thanks Ghost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My two have finished treatment for fox mange, now I know that's different as fox mange can transfer to humans, so when they were in for their first (of 3) baths we took everything they'd been on and put them in a hot wash.

I guess just keep the dog from bedrooms or furniture you can't wash, things like that, and make sure to change their blankets or towels often using a hot wash. But as they're being treated I'd say you're grand. Ours have had their 3 treatments and are fine, we've had no effects.

Have you other dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Hi
    No, we don't have any other dogs unfortunately. We live in an apartment so would be unkind to keep a dog full time. These dogs that need fostering are young pups that are too young to be vaccinated so need to be kept indoors until they are 8 weeks.

Thanks for your advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I was asking if you'd other dogs just incase you *might* have needed to keep them away.
    But as you've no other dogs AND the pup will be mid treatment for mange you should be fine. As I said - just keep them from the bed etc and just wash things they're lying on :)
    Very kind of you to take them in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Hi
    No, we don't have any other dogs unfortunately. We live in an apartment so would be unkind to keep a dog full time. These dogs that need fostering are young pups that are too young to be vaccinated so need to be kept indoors until they are 8 weeks.

Thanks for your advice!

you sound like a puppy's fairy god mother, good on you for helping out!

what kind of puppies are they - how old - any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

There are two types of mange, sarcoptic and demodectic. One is contagious and the other one isn't. Ask the rescue which type it is and make your decision then.

Advertisement