Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing RAM alongside existing RAM in PC

Options
  • 29-12-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Never installed new RAM alongside existing RAM so thought I'd better ask here about it.
    My PC has two 256mb sticks of RAM which have DDR PC3200 printed on their label. The new stick of RAM I have is a single 512mb stick which is stated as being a DDR DIMM PC3200 module.
    Can I safely install this new stick in my computer? All the original computer manual says is that the computer takes DDR RAM.
    Is there any risk of damage to my motherboard or otherwise if I put this new module in just to see if it works?

I should state that my motherboard has two sets of two RAM slots, set out below. If this RAM is suitable does it matter what socket I put it in?

Thanks a lot, I know this is a long post!

RAM:

WB S WB
    rx P rx
    rx A rx
    rx C rx
    rx E rx
    WB WB

r indicates ram in slot, x indicates empty

W and B indicate colour of plastic tabs holding ram in, w = white b = black, if that in any way matters.
    [

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just go to crucial.com and let it scan your system. It'll tell you what RAM will work with your pc. I don't think the plastic tabs mean anything other than when you're installing in pairs (Dual channel).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I always thought that if it fits it won't damage anything. Maybe it won't work or use it but I don't think it will damage anything. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

delta36 wrote: »
    My PC has two 256mb sticks of RAM which have DDR PC3200 printed on their label. The new stick of RAM I have is a single 512mb stick which is stated as being a DDR DIMM PC3200 module.
    Should be okay, as the RAM in the machine is PC3200. Ensure the PC is off, power cable is out, there's no power at all in the machine, and ground yourself, to ensure that you don't have any static on you.

The only problem that you may encounter is that the max amount of RAM the machine can take, but for most PC's, it's at least 1GB, so you should be fine (no idea what machine you have).

If the setup is black-white black-white, just put the pair in one black-white section, and put your new RAM in the free black slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Excellent, thanks for the replies everyone! Will try later and let ye know how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Works fine! Thanks for yere help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement