Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40,000 to leave country before April 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Well, based on my own experience in the States the last 10 years or so, living and working in over 20 states, I found there to be just two attitudes to immigration:

(1) It's loved by employers, of every stripe, because it allows them hire the cheapest of labour (eg from California farmers to New York restaurateurs)

(2) It's hated by just about everyone else, not least the unemployed or those earning crap wages - because of (1).

The notion that most Americans throw a big welcoming hug around the shoulders of modern day immigrants is one of the great myths of our time.

Just to clarify something, I used the phrase "immigration" to refer to immigration into a particular state, not into the US as a whole. Hence, I intended the phrase to include "immigration" into the state from other US states (i.e. inter-US states movement) as well as into that particular US state from outside the US.

The particular state I was referring to has very strong "immigration" (in both senses that I meant) into their major urban/suburban areas) plus also, from the more remote rural parts of the state, "emigration" (in the inter-state and inter-US states sense).

I'd also have to say that I didn't encounter the negative attitudes that you describe. That might be because in the area I was in immigrants from outside the US were at least as likely to be high wage earners as low wage earners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

View wrote: »
    I'd also have to say that I didn't encounter the negative attitudes that you describe. That might be because in the area I was in immigrants from outside the US were at least as likely to be high wage earners as low wage earners.
    Wouldn't what you are referring to be more like people moving between counties in Ireland? The US has a far more unified economy and taxation system than the EU will ever have, where each country has a very discrete economy.

And if, nationally, immigrants are so welcome in the US, why did they build that big fence across the Mexican border, with webcams/security guards/unmanned drones all over the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭belge boy

Immigrants in USA are accepted once they are legal but they hate illegals, like overly. Go on cityforum website and you will not see many bemoaning immigration like on this site, but they do detest illegal immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/life-is-no-beach-in-australia-1996296.html
    Saturday January 02 2010
    David McWilliams needs a reality check on his article regarding Australia (Irish Independent, December 30).

I spend much of the year there, and it has a lot to offer. However life there is by no means a beach, and I'm sure Mr McWilliams knows that.

Lie on Bondi or any beach indefinitely and two things will happen. You will die of starvation, and also have an excellent chance of getting terminal skin cancer.

Jobs are by no means plentiful anywhere in Australia. My caution would be to any young families who might be over influenced by McWilliams' excessive comments of Utopia.

Housing is expensive in all urban areas, there is an alarming and ongoing water shortage, rampant drugs, etc, etc, like any modern society. But Ireland with sunshine and jobs a-plenty it is not.

Overall, Mr McWilliams can well afford to make his comments, but a bit of balance, not to mention journalistic responsibility, wouldn't go astray.

Patrick Butler
    Melbourne

mc williams is only adding fuel to fire as usual with his populist crap, as remarked on by the above letter in the paper

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

View wrote: »
    Technically, this is correct. In practise, I doubt anyone ever goes and proves that they meet these criteria. As such, except for very rare cases where the indivudual concerned has a serious criminal conviction, removals of EU citizens just doesn't happen here.

Previous convictions alone are not enough to remove an EU citizen. While I take your point, I also think the Minister for Justice is stepping up his activities in this area and is trying to remove as many non working EU citizens as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

nesf wrote: »
    Please add some comments of your own, don't just put up a link to a newspaper article.

Okay no worries, duly noted.

It looks like we are going back in time to the 1980's exporting our graduates, the brain drain is starting again.

I know if I was in my early 20's I would be emigrating to OZ or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

dlofnep wrote: »
    Not once have you ever said anything nice about Irish people on this forum. I've seen all of your posts, and every single one of them attacks Irish people.

Ireland was one of the few to allow accession state members access. We have given back to Europe.

If you hate Ireland so much, and the Irish people - Why do you still continue to post on an Irish forum?

+1 100%
    Maybe he is one of those Eurocrats we love to hate in the fancy Berlaymont building, :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

This is the single worst effect of the economic crisis

If this is true, why did Brian Linehan cut Dole severely for the under 24s, generally the group most likely to leave the country? And why are people mindlessly cheering him on?

Can't find work, can't get enough Dole to comfortable live off, the under 21s will feck off out of the country, and a lot of the under 24s too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

gurramok wrote: »
    What has the weather got to do with anything?

The whole of Europe has this freezing weather if not worse than us!! Now, unless you want to work in hot weather all year round, go ahead and emigrate to Colombia :P.
    The weather would be the last on the list of my priorites for emigration.

Tell me the weather hasnt got to do with anything now :D
    Was thinking of going back to work in San Francisco again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Sandvich wrote: »
    If this is true, why did Brian Linehan cut Dole severely for the under 24s, generally the group most likely to leave the country?
    Because he like his father before him wants the young and active to leave the country, that way reducing the challengers to the entrenched power of the Fianna Fail party.

• Advertisement
Advertisement