Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland to do a Masters

Options
  • 29-12-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I am an Irish citizen that left Ireland 8 years ago to travel and work. In my travels I completed and self-financed a four year evening degree whilst working full-time. My plan was to go on to do a Master's degree abroad (I'm in England). However, my father has recently fallen ill and I have decided to move back to Ireland to be near him. I would be coming back as a mature student and am worried about how I would finance a master's degree and if I would be eligible for any grants etc. I fully intend to look for work and would maybe do the Master's degree over two years so I would have time to both study and work. But would that mean I would have to completely self-finance any further study myself? I am 29 and have a degree and many years of work experience but as Ireland is in a bad way at the minute I am worried that I won't find work. What is the financial support available to mature students who want to further their studies?

Thank you in advance and Happy Christmas!! Lucy x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Aoife00

I'd say you'd be entitled to a grant. I got one myself this year after never getting one before because I'm 23. I did however have to prove I was living independently from my parents. A guy in my class was out of Ireland for the past 4 years and he got the grant no problem. Ring your local county council and explain your situation, they should be able to give you more advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Look at www.studentfinance.ie it has all the info and contact details about grants look at www.qualifax.ie for info on courses and costs.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

You shoud be entitled to the full mature student grant. I'm kind of in he same situation as yourself and have been finding it very difficult to find out what I can get.
    My advice to to pop into your local county council office and talk to the person who actually processes grant applications. I found this most helpful.
    The mature student grant is very generous compared to what you can get in the UK, it covers fees and also gives you some money to live on.
    Hurry up though cause I hear the government here are trying to scrap mature student loads. Great strategy in a recession...
    Anyway, good luck to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There are residency requirements for the grants scheme. Best to contact your VEC directly (which you probably have already!!).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moved from Graduates to Postgrad.
    Good luck! Defo check out studentfinance.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You may not be entitled to a grant as you may not fulfil the residency requirements. In any case you wouldn't normally get a grant for a part-time programme, if you plan to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think you would be ineligible on 2 grounds

1: They don't fund part time courses for Grants
    2: You would have to be resident for 2 years previous

However - You should maybe contact a local employment service or Partnership and see if there is any other funding available

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement