Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to use to make interactive flash documents?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi Guys

I'm looking to make interactive flash documents, like a quiz. Im assuming obviously Flash is best, but are there other programs?

Also, are there any basic templates out there that would allow me to use as a basic foundation?

Thanks a mill, :D

PHONiC.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

PHONiC.ie wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm looking to make interactive flash documents, like a quiz. Im assuming obviously Flash is best, but are there other programs?

Also, are there any basic templates out there that would allow me to use as a basic foundation?

PHONiC.ie

Well, interactive documents, or something like a quiz would not have been flash's main use when it was realeased. However Director was designed for exactly what you are asking. A few years ago, director would have been classed as 'a beefed up version of flash', but that was before director was merged with flash as we know it today. Director is pretty buggy to use, and imo doesnt code very well. director uses the shockwave media player - identical to the flash media player (more or less).

I would suggest looking at google for a link on how to make a flash quiz. Theres loads out there. ----> links

They really dont take much work, and the code is just repitition over and over. Wont take more than 30 minz to do i rekon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

red_ice wrote: »
    Well, interactive documents, or something like a quiz would not have been flash's main use when it was realeased.
    However Director was designed for exactly what you are asking. A few years ago, director would have been classed as 'a beefed up version of flash', but that was before director was merged with flash as we know it today. Director is pretty buggy to use, and imo doesnt code very well. director uses the shockwave media player - identical to the flash media player (more or less).
    You have some misunderstandings about the software you're giving advice on. I think you should do some more research before going on off on a tangent discussion like this, you're only going to confuse the poor chap.

Flash has not been merged with Director, it's still it's own product. I would not recommend Director to anyone today unless in very specific circumstances, especially when they're asking about flash.
    I would suggest looking at google for a link on how to make a flash quiz. Theres loads out there. ----> links

They really dont take much work, and the code is just repitition over and over. Wont take more than 30 minz to do i rekon.
    You can probably get some quiz templates, as red_ice suggests. Flashkit.com is good for free, amateur stuff and flashcomponents.net is great for commercial ones which are probably easier to use and provide better documentation.

It's very hard to advise you however without knowing a bit more about what you want to create and your own skills in design & programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

PHONiC.ie wrote: »
    Hi Guys

PHONiC.ie
    Flash has it's own built in template quizzes which may do the job for you. It depends what your looking for though. If you actually want to learn how to do a quiz from scratch then the learning curve could be heavy enough and v.frustrating but satisfying once you get it.

the newer version of actionscript is difficult enough i.e. 3.0 but much more powerful. Version 2.0 is much easier to learn but again it is a learning curve.

Using the template that is built in will probably take about 30mins to do once you learn how to do it. But anything custom built will take a lot longer unless you have previous programming experience.

I have prewritten code for a quiz that I made for a particular project. I can put it up for you if your really under pressure to get something done. It might help in that case but you need to have an understanding of how the code works with flash to get it working via the sprites etc.

p wrote: »
    You have some misunderstandings about the software you're giving advice on. I think you should do some more research before going on off on a tangent discussion like this, you're only going to confuse the poor chap.

Flash has not been merged with Director, it's still it's own product. I would not recommend Director to anyone today unless in very specific circumstances, especially when they're asking about flash.

I wasnt going off on a tangent, its simply offering the chap some insight to some possible solutions for his question, like he asked... Did you bother to read the post yourself? Hes asking for advice on it, and alternatives.

I was told that they have discontinud director and merged it with flash at the cs4 Tour at Cineworld last year. Im simply passing on the word from the horses mouth, and ill take their word untill i see director 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

red_ice wrote: »
    I was told that they have discontinud director and merged it with flash at the cs4 Tour at Cineworld last year. Im simply passing on the word from the horses mouth, and ill take their word untill i see director 12.
    If they've discontinued Director, the director team don't seem to know anything about it:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/shockwaves/2009/06/how_hot_is_shockwave_3d.html

• Advertisement

again, im simply saying what i heard, im not here to have a tit for tat conversation. Id love to see a new director myself.

Advertisement